Championship trivia question

Bluefield researcher

Since the current VHSL playoff system started in 1970 six schools have won the football championship that are no longer open. Can you name them? Five should come pretty easy but can you get the other one? Bonus: soon there will be seven. What school win join "the club" shortly?

Dennis Vaught did coach Lexington to a title in '88.

Andrew Lewis of Salem won in '64 but hasn't won since 1970.  Andrew Lewis lost to TC Williams in '71 in the Remember The Titans title game at Victory Stadium. ALHS consolidated with the Glenvar I to form Salem in 1977. Incidentally, Andrew Lewis is now Salem's middle school and Glenvar II opened in 1982.

Manassas Park is still open as the lone high school for the independent city of Manassas Park. 

Appy, PV, Clintwood, JJ Kelly, Jonesville, Lexington

Convington is closing/consolidating with Alleghany County

Extra Bonus: Although the building is the same, the name is different, so technically I guess TC Williams is no longer a school, or maybe it is.  Depends how you want to define it, but it could technically be 7 that have won titles since 1970 that are no longer open.  TC Williams won a title after 1970, but is no longer called TC Williams, it's now called Alexandria City High School

6 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Extra Bonus: Although the building is the same, the name is different, so technically I guess TC Williams is no longer a school, or maybe it is.  Depends how you want to define it, but it could technically be 7 that have won titles since 1970 that are no longer open.  TC Williams won a title after 1970, but is no longer called TC Williams, it's now called Alexandria City High School

Same school. New name. Same with Woodrow Wilson.

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Hahahahaha. I was gonna ask what you were drinking 😂😂

I need to be drinking. Between work and dad duties, this week is trying to kill me. I don’t think I’ve gotten home before 9pm this week. 

23 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

TC Williams is who I was thinking.  But didn't know if he was just talking about 1a and 2a.  You'd think they'd be some big schools out East that has done it

17 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Same school. New name. Same with Woodrow Wilson.

Woodrow Wilson-Portsmouth Presidents of 1991 finished nationally ranked in USA Today.   Had 7 out of 14 shutouts and 11 of the 14 games were opponents scoring 7 points or less.  In 1989, they also won the state title and had 7 out of 14 shutouts.  I lived in Tidewater for a couple years and the 91 Woodrow Wilson of Portsmouth team led by UVA recruit and Parade All American Aaron Sparrow was an elite one and one of the better ones to come out of the Tidewater.  Sparrow couldn't qualify at UVA and ended up at Norfolk State and played many years of Arena Football.  Sparrow was the Michael Vick, Allen Iverson, Ronald Curry of the Tidewater before Iverson, Vick, and Curry 

30 years later, the newly named Manor High School Mustangs sets in one of Portsmouth's worst areas for crime and is invested by gang violence, drugs, and assaults.  It's probably in the top 5 of Virginia's worst High Schools to attend from an academic perspective and from a physical safety perspective.  For Carolina Beach Music fans, it's the home-former school of Bill Deal of beach music fame who was the lead singer for Bill Deal and the Rhondels.  Bill Deal and the Rhondels reached national prominence in 1969 scoring a 23rd ranked Billboard Top 100 hit, "What kind of fool do you think I am."  Man.....I miss football already.