Southwest District.

Real Sasquatch

I believe Graham will be the top team in the SWD again this season.  I'll be interested to see how they do against a good Bluefield team on the 28th.  They have talent returning in Bradshaw, Graves, Roberts, Surface and Morgan.  I think they have potential to make a run at Region D and are playing a tougher out of district schedule.  I still would favor Union and Gate City over Graham at this point.  However, they have an interesting dynamic of players this season.  They should be fun to watch.

3 hours ago, Tigerman10 said:

It’s not a race…Union 20 points better.

I said this last year too and Graham couldn’t even make it to Union 

Union I watched against Science Hill and even though losing by roughly 20 points, Union actually looked very good to me.  Union in my opinion though, is not as good as last year.  They are still solid, but don't quite have the offensive firepower like last year.  Got to favor Union in the region, but Graham, well nobody knows much, at least I don't.  Abingdon and Graham are on NFHS tomorrow night.  We will know a lot more about the G-Men after tomorrow night's game with last year's Class 3 runner up and state finalist, Abingdon.  I watched GC play already and I wasn't impressed.  I'm willing to bet that is one of the weaker GC teams in a long time.  Not very athletic.  Union will take GC apart.

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Union I watched against Science Hill and even though losing by roughly 20 points, Union actually looked very good to me.  Union in my opinion though, is not as good as last year.  They are still solid, but don't quite have the offensive firepower like last year.  Got to favor Union in the region, but Graham, well nobody knows much, at least I don't.  Abingdon and Graham are on NFHS tomorrow night.  We will know a lot more about the G-Men after tomorrow night's game with last year's Class 3 runner up and state finalist, Abingdon.  I watched GC play already and I wasn't impressed.  I'm willing to bet that is one of the weaker GC teams in a long time.  Not very athletic.  Union will take GC apart.

Union also down three starters til after first of the year.

4 hours ago, Tigerman10 said:

It’s not a race…Union 20 points better.

I said this last year too and Graham couldn’t even make it to Union 

Agreed. I was just saying it’s the two of them and then a large drop off to the rest of the region, IMO. Graham is the only team in 2D that **could** see pressuring Union. But I’d still take Union. 

16 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Oh okay so only down two. But two important ones. I feel like Union clear favorite to win 2D

No question about it.  Bunch is one he% of a player.  Union is going to miss hiim more than many realize, not just in hoops, but in pigskin.  His defensive ability was largely underrated for Union.  Great player and athlete, and I'm no height expert, but I could swear that kid has grown an inch or two since last fall/winter when Hoops started.  

32 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

No question about it.  Bunch is one he% of a player.  Union is going to miss hiim more than many realize, not just in hoops, but in pigskin.  His defensive ability was largely underrated for Union.  Great player and athlete, and I'm no height expert, but I could swear that kid has grown an inch or two since last fall/winter when Hoops started.  

I think the basketball team will go from a legit contender to make the state title game to a middle/closer to the top 2D team. Cusano was gonna take over his role next year as the go to guy But he moved. If Cusano was still there, they could at least give JM a game. 

On 12/20/2021 at 2:24 PM, Ryan4VT said:

Agreed. I was just saying it’s the two of them and then a large drop off to the rest of the region, IMO. Graham is the only team in 2D that **could** see pressuring Union. But I’d still take Union. 

You said something positive about a SWD team on the basketball board.  That’s not allowed.

After watching the G-Men tonight.  I'm not so sure they win the district this year.  This could be the first time in several years that Graham is not the top team in the district.  Graham hasn't lost a district game in a few years, can't remember the last one.  This could be the year it will happen.  I think V-HIgh or Marion may get one or two from them this season, unless Graham makes some serious improvement very soon. 

45 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

John Marshall just beat Carmel Christian (Matthews-Charlotte area) 72-68. Carmel is the 40th ranked team in the nation by Maxpreps.

They are an unstoppable force. A recruited AAU team playing AA basketball, not sure when they lose state. What's scary and nobody talks about is their enrollment. Despite being in Richmond, they only reported just 496 kids last year after having right at 1,000 just 10 years ago. If you think its bad now, wait til they drop to single a ball.

The problem with John Marshall is the advantage open enrollment provides for them.  Richmond is an open enrollment city like Charlotte.. Their numbers are accurate, but they have a players coach that runs the AAU team, so kids in Richmond, as long as they can get there, can go to thst school even if outside their zone. There's no way to compete with that. They are basically getting the best of Ricmond which is choosing from 225,000 citizens within the city limits of Richmond.  The kids that play AAU ball on their main travel team in the summer want to be around and play for that coach come fall/winter. 

Formula for Winning in Any High School Sport- Make sure either your Head Coach or Assistant Coach is also the local AAU area Coach or has very, very close ties with the AAU coach in an open enrollment small city or big city and if you look around the country, it often works out very well in every sport that this rule applies. 

On 1/1/2022 at 7:48 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

The problem with John Marshall is the advantage open enrollment provides for them.  Richmond is an open enrollment city like Charlotte.. Their numbers are accurate, but they have a players coach that runs the AAU team, so kids in Richmond, as long as they can get there, can go to thst school even if outside their zone. There's no way to compete with that. They are basically getting the best of Ricmond which is choosing from 225,000 citizens within the city limits of Richmond.  The kids that play AAU ball on their main travel team in the summer want to be around and play for that coach come fall/winter. 

Formula for Winning in Any High School Sport- Make sure either your Head Coach or Assistant Coach is also the local AAU area Coach or has very, very close ties with the AAU coach in an open enrollment small city or big city and if you look around the country, it often works out very well in every sport that this rule applies. 

Ridiculous they're playing AA ball  Oak Hill might as well play in 2a at least everyone can get their ass kicked by D1 talent