2021 Arby's Classic

swva_havok_fan

We're 6 days away from the return of one of the nation's top high school basketball tournaments, the Arby's Classic, held at Tennessee High's arena in Bristol, Tennessee, Viking Hall.

With the 2020 cancellation of the event due to the pandemic, the tournament organizers knew they had to come big with the selection of the out of town teams this year, and boy have they delivered.  Here are the teams in the 2021 Arby's Classic:

• Abingdon Falcons
  • Amarillo (TX) Sandies
  • Bearden Bulldogs
  • Berkmar (GA) Patriots
  • Dorman (SC) Cavaliers
  • Dr. Phillips (FL) Panthers
  • East Hamilton Hurricanes
  • Greeneville Greene Devils
  • Jonesboro (AR) Hurricanes
  • Knoxville Catholic Fighting Irish
  • Long Island Lutheran (NY) Crusaders
  • Myers Park (NC) Mustangs
  • Tabernacle Baptist Christian Academy (Bahamas) Falcons
  • Tampa Catholic (FL) Crusaders
  • Tennessee High Vikings
  • Union Bears
  • Volunteer Falcons
  • West Ridge Wolves

Here is the schedule:

Monday, December 27:

• 1:00 Game 1 -- Union vs. Knoxville Catholic
  • 2:30 Game 2 -- East Hamilton vs. Tabernacle Baptist Christian Academy
  • 4:00 Game 3 -- Abingdon vs. Dorman
  • 5:30 Game 4 -- Berkmar vs. Bearden
  • 7:00 Game 5 -- Greeneville vs. Myers Park
  • 8:30 Game 6 -- Dr. Phillips vs. Volunteer

Tuesday, December 28:

• 2:30 Game 7 -- Loser of Game 1 vs. Loser of Game 2
  • 4:00 Game 8 -- Winner of Game 1 vs. Jonesboro
  • 5:30 Game 9 -- Amarillo vs. West Ridge
  • 7:00 Game 10 -- Tennessee High vs. Long Island Lutheran
  • 8:30 Game 11 -- Winner of Game 2 vs. Tampa Catholic

Wednesday, December 29:

• 9:00 am Game 12 -- Loser of Game 3 vs. Loser of Game 4
  • 10:30 am Game 13 -- Loser of Game 5 vs. Loser of Game 6
  • 12:00 pm Game 14 -- Loser of Game 8 vs. Loser of Game 9
  • 1:30 pm Game 15 -- Loser of Game 10 vs. Loser of Game 11
  • 5:00 pm Game 16 -- Winner of Game 3 vs. Winner of Game 4
  • 6:30 pm Game 17 -- Winner of Game 5 vs. Winner of Game 6
  • 8:00 pm Game 18 -- Winner of Game 8 vs. Winner of Game 9
  • 9:30 pm Game 19 -- Winner of Game 10 vs. Winner of Game 11

Thursday, December 30:

• 9:00 am Game 20 -- Winner of Game 12 vs. Winner of Game 13
  • 10:30 am Game 21 -- Winner of Game 14 vs. Winner of Game 15
  • 12:00 pm Game 22 -- Loser of Game 16 vs. Loser of Game 17
  • 1:30 pm Game 23 -- Loser of Game 18 vs. Loser of Game 19
  • 5:30 pm -- Dick's Sporting Goods Slam Dunk Contest
  • 7:00 pm Game 24 -- Winner of Game 16 vs. Winner of Game 17
  • 8:30 pm Game 25 -- Winner of Game 18 vs. Winner of Game 19

Friday, December 31:

• 11:30 am Game 26 -- Consolation:  Winner of Game 7 vs. Loser of Game 15
  • 1:00 pm Game 27 -- Sixth place:  Winner of Game 20 vs. Winner of Game 21
  • 2:30 pm Game 28 -- Fifth place:  Winner of Game 22 vs. Winner of Game 23
  • 4:00 pm -- Fun Factory Three Point Contest
  • 5:30 pm Game 29 -- Third place:  Loser of Game 24 vs. Loser of Game 25
  • 7:00 pm Game 30 -- Championship:  Winner of Game 24 vs. Winner of Game 25

Who wins the 2021 Arby's Classic?  What player intrigues you?  This tournament is absolutely loaded this year and can't wait for it to get underway!

My prediction for the finals is Berkmar vs. Long Island Lutheran.  Georgia teams have a history of doing very well in this tournament which is why I am picking Berkmar to win it all.  However, Bearden (a favorite for TSSAA 4A title) may shock the world and defeat Berkmar in round 1.  The top half of the bracket is absolutely loaded with Union (defending VHSL 2A champ), Abingdon (defending VHSL 3A runner up), Greeneville (defending TSSAA 2A champ), the aforementioned Berkmar and Bearden... 

Long Island Lutheran seems to be the overwhelming favorite in the bottom half of the bracket, although Amarillo has a couple of studs on their lineup.

Players to watch:

Dr. Phillips: 

• Ernest Udeh (6-10, 230) -- offers from Tennessee, Kansas, UCLA, Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor
  • Riley Kugel (6-4, 175) -- Mississippi State commit
  • Denzel Aberdeen (6-4, 175) -- Florida commit

Amarillo:

• Brendan Hausen (6-4, 180) -- Villanova commit
  • Cade Hornecker (7-0, 210) -- offers from Butler, Creighton, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oral Roberts

Dorman:

• Noah Clowney (6-9, 205) -- offers from Virginia Tech, Alabama, Indiana, Georgia Tech, South Carolina

Berkmar:

• Jermahri Hill (6-3, 160) -- offers from Georgia, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech

Knoxville Catholic:

• BJ Edwards (6-3, 170) -- Tennessee commit

it always seems that the local Va schools invite are one year too late except for GC a couple years ago.    2002 Council Cobras were in a year after winning state championship,  now union and abingdon are in after a state championship and runner up finish,   hopefully both play great and cherish this tournament

41 minutes ago, stantheman said:

it always seems that the local Va schools invite are one year too late except for GC a couple years ago.    2002 Council Cobras were in a year after winning state championship,  now union and abingdon are in after a state championship and runner up finish,   hopefully both play great and cherish this tournament

I've noticed that as well. Eastside was another a few years back. 

1 hour ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Why are there never any WV teams in the Arby’s? Don’t think I’ve seen one within the last five years or so.

I don't recall ever seeing a WV team in the tournament.  Chapmanville is in the Alpha Invitational last night and tonight in Kingsport.  They did very well against a very good Morristown East last night though ultimately lost.  I believe Chapmanville is AA with Bluefield.  Not sure what the rest of AA in WV looks like, but I would guess that Chapmanville would be a strong contender to win it.

1 hour ago, stantheman said:

The problem with Abingdon is they're in the top half of the bracket which has all the strong teams like Berkmar, Bearden, Dorman and Dr. Phillips.  Union is in the first play in game against Catholic, so they have the disadvantage of having to win 5 games in 5 days (only one team has ever done it I believe), to win the tournament.  If Union can beat Catholic, they have a shot at winning against Jonesboro I believe and possibly placing.

40 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I half-heartedly think this tournament is a perverse joke to see how badly local teams can get bludgeoned by legitimate elite high school basketball teams.  But there is some wonderful basketball to be played, year-in, year-out.

Yeah. Was it 2012 when Hurley played a school from Ohio that was probably about ten times their size and lost by like 80. I think Hurley had a guy who was pretty good around 6’8 but he didn’t even play if I recall. Sometimes the local teams can hold their own but there’s some seriously good teams that play in this.

1 hour ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Yeah. Was it 2012 when Hurley played a school from Ohio that was probably about ten times their size and lost by like 80. I think Hurley had a guy who was pretty good around 6’8 but he didn’t even play if I recall. Sometimes the local teams can hold their own but there’s some seriously good teams that play in this.

Mentor.  That was the Mentor team with Mitch Trubisky on it I believe.

BREAKING:  Bristol Herald Courier is reporting that Myers Park had to withdraw from the Arby's Classic due to COVID protocols.  Twin Springs will be the replacement.  The tournament schedule has also been altered due to the change.  Twin Springs is now in the tournament play in game against Knoxville Catholic Monday at 1 PM.  Union has been switched to the main draw of the tournament and will now face Greeneville on Monday at 7 pm.

Dorman is very good.  They shot around 70% in the first half.  Very quick and long on the press.

This was not the Abingdon team to be in this tournament.  Last years team could have competed.  With Ramsey out, the only player to even start a game last year was Carter and he only started a few games.  Two starters tonight were on JV last year and another starter didn’t even play last year.  

5 hours ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Abingdon is getting beat 40-2…

On 12/24/2021 at 10:58 AM, UVAObserver said:

I half-heartedly think this tournament is a perverse joke to see how badly local teams can get bludgeoned by legitimate elite high school basketball teams.  But there is some wonderful basketball to be played, year-in, year-out.

Twin Springs got routed but not really embarrassed by Knox Catholic, did bout as well as possible considering circumstances. Union didn't play well and lost by 15 to Greeneville but Green Devils are nowhere close to the best team there.