Abingdon 62- Graham 53

Real Sasquatch

Game was close until the last few minutes.  Graham missed a lot of open 3's. Couple of technical fouls and an intentional foul that hurt a little.  Several bad and lazy passes, need to clean that up.  Looked rusty, but did well for their first time out.  Graves had 30 despite losing his lunch a couple times.  Difficult schedule will force Graham to be more disciplined and make better passes.  I like the aggression of the team, but it needs to be reigned in a tad.  Team needs to build chemistry, should be pretty hard to deal with after they get a few contests under their belt.  The Ni kid runs the offense well when he is in there, I would like to see him get more playing time - not the most athletic on the floor, but athletic enough and plays smart.  Graves is good, but has a tendency to try to do too much sometimes.

Graham's J.V. won easily - They were up by 20 when I quit watching that one.  Lot of good young athletes coming up through the ranks on the JV team for Graham.

25 minutes ago, T8KNDookeez said:

Graham had 0 - ZERO Free Throw attempts. Almost unheard of. Abingdon ( I cant find the box score) but probably had 15 trips to the stripe. Officiating was questionable but Abingdon is a good team.

Graham shot nothing but jumpers and floaters all night. That’s what happens when you shoot floaters over the big man instead of attacking. 

Meanwhile Graham is lucky Abingdon didn’t shoot more-they were still in football mode. 

Graham has one basketball player (Graves) and he is really good.   The others are football players.   Bradshaw gets what he can from pure athleticism and speed.   In reality,  Graham fouled 5 times more than abingdon.   The kid with the mullet should have fouled out 2-3 times.   Every time anyone got in the paint near him he shoved them in the back or held them. Graves will carry them through the southwest district but union will beat them by 20+ in region

9 hours ago, F@lcon said:

Graham has one basketball player (Graves) and he is really good.   The others are football players.   Bradshaw gets what he can from pure athleticism and speed.   In reality,  Graham fouled 5 times more than abingdon.   The kid with the mullet should have fouled out 2-3 times.   Every time anyone got in the paint near him he shoved them in the back or held them. Graves will carry them through the southwest district but union will beat them by 20+ in region

Be careful now, some people get BIG mad if you say Union basketball is gonna handle Graham, at least one poster last year just kept saying how good Graham was and got mad when they couldn't even make the 2D title game lol

13 hours ago, F@lcon said:

I tend to agree with this. They’re the best the SWD has to offer — but that’s not saying a whole heck of a lot if you’re looking big picture. SWD is way down. 

18 hours ago, F@lcon said:

Time will tell. Graham will gel and get much better but without any real height, it will be extremely tough to win the region. I'm sure a few other teams will get to celebrate like Abingdon did when they won the title the other night 🤣.

I wasn't taking anything away from Abingdon in my previous comment, I said they were a good team. I thought officiating was questionable at times.

Heck 2 almost 7 footers, get it in to them, let defense try to double or triple, pass to 31 (or another open guy), get buckets, and win games. That's a great game plan. They're going to win a lot of games.

I wouldn't count out Graham, yet. Their athleticism alone will pose problems and officiating around here tends to encourage very physical play. It's not like the M7 #4 will be a world beater, in some order Union/RV/GC will be the top three, I would favor Graham at home against Battle or Central in an opening round game. Oddly enough, the M7 #2 team could have an easier draw than the M7 #1 team in the regional semifinals, however. Principals too lazy to come up with a fair seeding system for sports outside of football, sad really considering how well our teams have fared in other sports, especially boys and girls basketball recently.

On 12/22/2021 at 3:19 PM, F@lcon said:

Well, if the dozen or so "over the backs" would have been called, the foul total would have been much closer.  Just because a guy is 7 feet tall doesn't mean he can reach over the top of somebodys back every time down the court.  Graham looked choppy, but they do have a few basketball players other then Graves.  Some of them still have their football legs and need to get in basketball shape. Be interesting to see how these 2 teams match up later in the season.

12 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Well, if the dozen or so "over the backs" would have been called, the foul total would have been much closer.  Just because a guy is 7 feet tall doesn't mean he can reach over the top of somebodys back every time down the court.  Graham looked choppy, but they do have a few basketball players other then Graves.  Some of them still have their football legs and need to get in basketball shape. Be interesting to see how these 2 teams match up later in the season.

Graves is a bad matchup for Abingdon because they have to play zone to compensate for Ramsey. He can be defended by good M2M…iirc GC held him way below his average when they stomped Graham last year (after which his coach said in the paper that he was the best player in the region 😵💫.) Union did a great job on Cormany last year so I can’t imagine them having much trouble with Graves.

Over the back is not a foul….on the back is a foul. A 7 footer can absolutely reach over top of another kid as long as there isn’t a lot of contact. 

No such thing as over the back in rule book and it’s not a foul if you don’t have to touch them to do so.  Difference in box outs on both ends is that every time Abingdon kids jumped the mullet kid or Bradshaw shoved them 3 feet.  When graham had position, Abingdon can just reach higher.  There was a stretch in third quarter I think that calls went Abingdon way but that was brought on by graham players running their mouths.