Graham vs. Bluefield

Real Sasquatch

Should be a good one.  Bluefield has a few games under their belt, so I give them the advantage.  Graham seems to struggle shooting the ball at the Armory when they play there.  They will be playing there a lot this season, while the middle school gym is repaired from water damage.  Graham hosts Martinsville at Bluefield State on Thursday, then will be playing their home games at the armory in the New Year.  Graham will match Bluefield's athleticism, but they need to get a few games under their belt to get a flow to their offense.  They have a very tough schedule to open the season, which will be good for them in the long haul.  

3 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Unfortunately, Graham is a basketball team full of football players. They missed a lot of shots that they should have made. Unless they improve, their post season will be short-lived. The JV team has some boys that are much better shooters than some of the varsity players. IMHO 

I agree.  The J.V. has some good basketball players coming up.  Very poor shooting performance for Graham. 

What time is the Martinsville@ Graham game on Thursday? Martins ville comes into the game at 3-3 having lost to Northside by 8, GW-Danville by 3 and lost a tough one tonite against Eden-Morehead NC 70-68 on a shot from just over the half court line at the buzzer. Should be a very competitive game Thurs.

6 minutes ago, pdfan said:

What time is the Martinsville@ Graham game on Thursday? Martins ville comes into the game at 3-3 having lost to Northside by 8, GW-Danville by 3 and lost a tough one tonite against Eden-Morehead NC 70-68 on a shot from just over the half court line at the buzzer. Should be a very competitive game Thurs.

The Southwest District Website says 4 p.m. at Bluefield State College (Graham's floor was water-damaged), so the game will be at Bluefield-State.  I'll post here if I hear anything different.  I hope you are correct that it will be competitive.  I have a feeling that Martinsville will win by 10 or more.

We've got a little talent but they are all new to the system since we didn't play last year. All our guys this year were on jv in 2019 so they are getting their feet wet on the varsity level. We are a play or two away from being 5-1 right now. Hopefully by playing teams like Graham, Staunton  Dan River, Northside, and Morehead in the out of district games along with GW, Halifax and a very good Tunstall team in the district, we should be battle tested by tournament time. Record might not be good though.

32 minutes ago, pdfan said:

We've got a little talent but they are all new to the system since we didn't play last year. All our guys this year were on jv in 2019 so they are getting their feet wet on the varsity level. We are a play or two away from being 5-1 right now. Hopefully by playing teams like Graham, Staunton  Dan River, Northside, and Morehead in the out of district games along with GW, Halifax and a very good Tunstall team in the district, we should be battle tested by tournament time. Record might not be good though.

With Radford likely taking a step back, you think you guys could win 2C? Dan River usually always good, I'm sure Radford won't be terrible, but I don't see a clear cut favorite in 2C yet. If Martinsville can gel and stymie other offenses like they usually do, they're a team no one wants to see come tourney time. How's the size?

9 hours ago, BigWinners said:

With Radford likely taking a step back, you think you guys could win 2C? Dan River usually always good, I'm sure Radford won't be terrible, but I don't see a clear cut favorite in 2C yet. If Martinsville can gel and stymie other offenses like they usually do, they're a team no one wants to see come tourney time. How's the size?

James River right there with Martinsville. 

I'd say JR should be the favorite right now. They've beat GW-Danville twice and a few other good wins. We have an older team, but not alot of game experience if that makes sense. We've beat Dan River by 20, Patrick by 40 some and McMichael (NC) by 10 but have lost 3 close games. If we could have taken care of the ball better and hit foul shots we would have beaten GW and Morehead. We go 6'6" 6'3" in the front court and our best 3 point shooter is 6'4. We are a typical Bulldog team, very quick and will battle to the end but I just don't know if they have the "it" factor to win region.

6 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Forgot James River, I saw they beat East Rockingham earlier in year.

I flipped over to watch Martinsville and Dan River yesterday on NFHS.  Martinsville is very good. You can check out these two in the on demand section.. Dan River is exactly like they are in football. As talented and usually more talented than any team they face, but just like undisciplined in football, incredibly undisciplined in basketball. I know they had to have had around 20 turnovers against Martinsville. Talent all over the floor for DR, and the same for Martinsville, but Martinsville is more disciplined. 

I give the edge to Union over both of em. James River and Union is a tossup game imo. James River is very well coached and very heady with great shooters.

Really going out on a limb saying Union is better than Martinsville and DR. Dan River is way down this year and Martinsville isn't as strong as they have been in the past. Mavahi's best returning player transferred to Dudley HS in Greensboro and is averaging about 19 a game down there. Sure could of used him this year. Neither the Dogs or the Wildcats are state championship material, maybe could battle for a region championship but I think JR is going to win that. Radford may be down but they are always a threat in region.

Having watched John Marshall, they seemingly are heads above everyone. I watched them against Landstown in a loss on the road. They led with a minute left. Greeneville County imo, is the second best team I've seen in Class 2. I watched them against Bruswick who is also very good, but Greensville County looked really good.  No way to know for sure until those teams matchup in the playoffs. TJ Richmond is also supposed to be good, but I haven't seen them. I haven't seen Radford yet either. 

38 minutes ago, pdfan said:

Really going out on a limb saying Union is better than Martinsville and DR. Dan River is way down this year and Martinsville isn't as strong as they have been in the past. Mavahi's best returning player transferred to Dudley HS in Greensboro and is averaging about 19 a game down there. Sure could of used him this year. Neither the Dogs or the Wildcats are state championship material, maybe could battle for a region championship but I think JR is going to win that. Radford may be down but they are always a threat in region.

Union has same issue zomewhat, their second best returning player is st1rting for a team in South Carolina. If he was still there for Union, may be they win the West. Without him it's gonna be very tough.

John Marshall is gonna win by 30+ over anyone in 2A, I'll be shocked if any 2A team stays within 25 points.

21 hours ago, BigWinners said:

John Marshall is gonna win by 30+ over anyone in 2A, I'll be shocked if any 2A team stays within 25 points.

Here's an example of scariness for other Class 2 teams in Virginia competing against John Marshall.  John Marshall just lost in a tournament, I think it was the title game, to Archbishop Stepinac, a Catholic School out of New York.  Archbishop Stepinac is the 25th ranked team in America by Maxpreps.  They beat John Marshall 54-50.  Maxpreps is a crappy, crappy site for nearly all things.  One exception is there top 25 rankings in Football and Basketball.  They actually get this part right and their rankings often parallel/close to the USA Today rankings.  Whether Archbishop Stepinac is the 25th best team in America or not, I have no idea, but if you are ranked 25th in the country in Any poll, you probably have one heck of a team, and for JM to play them that close speaks to the gap between JM and the rest of Class 2.

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Here's an example of scariness for other Class 2 teams in Virginia competing against John Marshall.  John Marshall just lost in a tournament, I think it was the title game, to Archbishop Stepinac, a Catholic School out of New York.  Archbishop Stepinac is the 25th ranked team in America by Maxpreps.  They beat John Marshall 54-50.  Maxpreps is a crappy, crappy site for nearly all things.  One exception is there top 25 rankings in Football and Basketball.  They actually get this part right and their rankings often parallel/close to the USA Today rankings.  Whether Archbishop Stepinac is the 25th best team in America or not, I have no idea, but if you are ranked 25th in the country in Any poll, you probably have one heck of a team, and for JM to play them that close speaks to the gap between JM and the rest of Class 2.

JM played Sierra Canyon a few years ago and maybe lost by like single digits. I think they barely lost to like 5 or 6 A Landstown from Virginia Beach who is typically very good earlier this year. 

Just now, BBHoops_18 said:

JM played Sierra Canyon a few years ago and maybe lost by like single digits. I think they barely lost to like 5 or 6 A Landstown from Virginia Beach who is typically very good earlier this year. 

They led at Landstown with a minute left in the game. I watched that one on NFHS.  Should have won it. Landstown may win the Class 6 state title this year. They were preseason ranked number 1 in the state in Class 6 by VaPreps.

• 2 weeks later...

Round 2 of Graham vs. Bluefield is this Friday at the armory.  Graham has improved somewhat since the first matchup.  They have a few games under their belt and the football players are getting their basketball legs.  I still think Bluefield wins, but Graham should give them a tougher time this go-around.