Riverheads' Robert Casto retiring

Leland McCray

18 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

This isn't Salem replacing Stephen Magenbauer. This is Giles replacing Steve Ragsdale.  You have two ultra-successful programs where an "antiquated" offensive scheme is synonymous with the teams' very identities, which makes it virtually impossible to replace a legendary coach with an outsider.  

Uncle Percy agrees with Cousin Liam.

On 1/6/2022 at 12:06 AM, goose111874 said:

He was obviously forced to retire the guy only won 9 State championships in 26 years that's terrible 😆

34% championship rate? His last few successful seasons really bumped that average up. Dudes obviously a chump  lol

1 hour ago, ghos88t said:

Why would he retire with just 26 years teaching experience????  VRS requires 30 years experience for full retirement benefits..  Is he going somewhere else to Coach???  Very odd to step away at this time.

Maybe hes got other years in with the state not teaching, or maybe plans on moving to a different state job. Lots of options as long as you stay within the state system

1 hour ago, ghos88t said:

Why would he retire with just 26 years teaching experience????  VRS requires 30 years experience for full retirement benefits..  Is he going somewhere else to Coach???  Very odd to step away at this time.

Just because you "retire" from one career prior to 30 years of service doesn't mean you aren't going to do something else. Casto can go into administration for a few short years somewhere else and increase his VRS retirement a significant amount. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Just because you "retire" from one career prior to 30 years of service doesn't mean you aren't going to do something else. Casto can go into administration for a few short years somewhere else and increase his VRS retirement a significant amount. 

This is routinely what happens.  VRS bases your payout upon your last 5 years of service.  Hike that salary up and retire well.

On 1/4/2022 at 2:48 PM, Leland McCray said:

Official: Robert Casto has informed Riverheads High School that he will retire from teaching at the end of this school year and from Coaching Football after 26 years. He ends with a 261-59 record at RHS including 9 State Championships.

Riverheads will carry an ongoing streak of 50 consecutive wins (Best active streak in the nation) and 6 consecutive State Championships (VHSL Record).

You don’t retire from teaching if you are taking an administration job in your district, you are transferred. If you are taking a job in a new school system, you don’t retire, you are transferring to a new system.

16 minutes ago, ghos88t said:

You don’t retire from teaching if you are taking an administration job in your district, you are transferred. If you are taking a job in a new school system, you don’t retire, you are transferring to a new system.

After reading the article on his previous retirement, and given his age, it would appear that he has more than 30 years in the VRS, assuming his entire career was in Virginia. I know nothing of his history prior to coaching at Riverheads.

Edit: found an article that stated he had 4 years as an assistant at RH prior to being head coach. Also, spent time at 2 other Virginia schools before that, so definitely has his 30 in.

Edited by Union_Fan

29 minutes ago, Red Rabbit said:

Riverheads never asked to drop down to 1A when their numbers were down ! Giles cried and begged to drop down ! Your train horn is a little weak !

Who cares what Giles begged and cried for? Who cares what Riverheads asked for? 

Riverheads conveniently lost numbers when they were redistricting. 

1 hour ago, Red Rabbit said:

If they move up to the caliber of competition  they will go to 4A ! !A & 2A are panty pink soft !

You made THIS post. You were calling 1A and 2A soft. Then, I pointed out the fact that Riverheads couldn’t win state in 2A when they competed as a 2A school, which is probably where they should be right now anyway. Would they win 2A right now? Very possible. But that’s not the point. 

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

Call me crazy but KW beats Riverheads by two plus scores. 

Hence: very possible. 

My post was pointing out the hilarious irony of a Riverheads fan calling 2A soft. 

7 hours ago, sixcat said:

Mr. Researcher, what would we do without all these “experts”, that know everything, that post on here.  Uncle Percy would love to “praise” a few of them, however, he does not want to upset you and Mr. GMan.

46 minutes ago, ghos88t said:

Mr. Researcher, what would we do without all these “experts”, that know everything, that post on here.  Uncle Percy would love to “praise” a few of them, however, he does not want to upset you and Mr. GMan.

No need to fret! I’m sure Uncle Percy will let you continue to live in his basement. 

1 hour ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Why is that crazy? King William had one of the best players in the entire state. I don’t think they beat them.

Oh I agree. I think KW had the two best players and Claiborne was clearly the top guy. RHS couldn't stop him. But some on here believe Riverheads wins easily. 

Only a select few people in sports truly do not care about streaks, records and milestones.  Unless Casto has a change of heart, he's leaving a number of these on the table including:

1. the nation's longest active winning streak at 50 games with a near guarantee to surpass the Phoebus Streak of 52.

2. the Virginia record and current streak of 6 straight titles with a stable of underclassmen to push this near double digits.

3. 9 state titles with a solid chance of matching or surpassing Mike Smith's 12 titles.

4. just 39 wins away from the 300 Club and 55 wins shy of surpassing every Virginia coach not named Mike Smith.

I'm not suggesting Casto should stay just to chase history, but I certainly admire him if he can walk-away with no regrets.