Riverheads' Robert Casto retiring

Leland McCray

19 minutes ago, ImFromOutEast said:

Casto was head coach at Chincoteague back in 1990. No idea if he was in that role prior to that year or how many years thereafter. It's always strange when stories mention his "career" record his Chincoteague record is not included.

Was it not good?

I mean, Nick Saban coached at Michigan State 10 years before he coached at Bama and MSU was mostly middle of the road at that time. Look at him now. And as a Tennessee fan I can’t stand the man. 

Belichick coached the Browns in the early 90s and the Browns didn’t do that good.

4 hours ago, Red Rabbit said:

Riverheads never asked to drop down to 1A when their numbers were down ! Giles cried and begged to drop down ! Your train horn is a little weak !

You've been running from competition for 20 years. But keep thumping your chest in the pee wee league.

4 hours ago, sixcat said:

No need to fret! I’m sure Uncle Percy will let you continue to live in his basement. 

Fret, no way.  You would definitely be in for a big surprise.

16 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

This is routinely what happens.  VRS bases your payout upon your last 5 years of service.  Hike that salary up and retire well.

Pensions under VRS are based on an employee's 3 consecutive highest earning years, regardless when. At first, middle or end of career.

25 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Might be under some older pension program, but it’s not that way now, I assure you.

This is part of the changes that were made in 2014. VRS currently has three plan options. Plan #1 is geared toward those who began VRS prior to July 1, 2010. Plan #2 is for anyone who began VRS between July 1, 2010 and December 31, 2013. Plan #3 is for anyone who began VRS post January 1, 2014.

https://www.varetire.org/pdf/publications/vrs-plans-comparison.pdf

Riverheads will drop off. It will be a slow drop-off, but it will happen. In 5 years, still in the mix of long playoff runs and a title here or there? Of course, but the level of dominance we've seen will taper off. 

The above is purely a guess and an opinion. Nobody can see the future, but we know how these things usually go in sports when a legend is lost. The odds are......there is some type of drop off.

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

This is part of the changes that were made in 2014. VRS currently has three plan options. Plan #1 is geared toward those who began VRS prior to July 1, 2010. Plan #2 is for anyone who began VRS between July 1, 2010 and December 31, 2013. Plan #3 is for anyone who began VRS post January 1, 2014.

https://www.varetire.org/pdf/publications/vrs-plans-comparison.pdf

Yep, I know that sheet well.  I'm in the "Hybrid Plan", which I also call "The Plan that Screws Xennials and Millennials".  Just look at Page 8.  Our retirement benefits are essentially cut in half from what people born before 1980 would receive.  I'm in a special group which fully vests at 20 years instead of the typical 30, but still, I get angry every time I think about it.  We're also hammered if we attempt to buy back prior service (I have 1 year of prior service that it's 100% not worth to buy back).  It's a giant extended middle finger, honestly.  

24 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Yep, I know that sheet well.  I'm in the "Hybrid Plan", which I also call "The Plan that Screws Xennials and Millennials".  Just look at Page 8.  Our retirement benefits are essentially cut in half from what people born before 1980 would receive.  I'm in a special group which fully vests at 20 years instead of the typical 30, but still, I get angry every time I think about it.  We're also hammered if we attempt to buy back prior service (I have 1 year of prior service that it's 100% not worth to buy back).  It's a giant extended middle finger, honestly.  

My wife is in Plan 1 so we are very familiar. We have talked about it often, wondering if would we make the same choices had these Plans been in place when she was beginning her professional career 20 years ago. 

5 hours ago, T8KNDookeez said:

Headed to NC or SC to get the "Big Payday" to coach. 80-100k ?? Don't even have to teach if approved from what I've heard.

Lol , you don’t have to leave the state. Grayson County is paying their new HC over 80k and way more than their principles.

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Just don't start messing with my pension in a few years, you danged whippersnapper.  I've already got my AARP card and I know my rights.  If it makes you feel any better, those of us born in 1971 aren't happy about the change in Social Security a few years back that upped the age for full benefits.

In all seriousness I agree with you about the shift in VRS.  The parameters associated with retirement continue to present a moving target for those within the larger generational groups (mainly Boomers and Millenials, paradoxically) whereas Generation Xers like me may be able to pass between the extremes.  Some might even employ the words "arbitrary" and/or "capricious" in arguing about it.

22 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Oh I agree. I think KW had the two best players and Claiborne was clearly the top guy. RHS couldn't stop him. But some on here believe Riverheads wins easily. 

Yeah to think they'd dominate 3A and 4A ball is crazy it's the same people who'll say Alabama can beat the Jets or Jags it's just ridiculous.  I used to think when I was a kid Appalachia could beat the huge schools out East but I was 10

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

Yeah to think they'd dominate 3A and 4A ball is crazy it's the same people who'll say Alabama can beat the Jets or Jags it's just ridiculous.  I used to think when I was a kid Appalachia could beat the huge schools out East but I was 10

It's insane. I'm a pretty die hard Alabama fan but to think a team full of 18-22 year olds, even the best 18-22 year olds on the planet, could beat a team full of grown men is craziness. There's been a couple of Bama teams where basically every starter was drafted or made a roster but they're still just basically kids competing against full grown men. 

I think the tip top level HS teams have a better shot at a bad NAIA school or D2 school than Bama does against the Lions or Jags. IMG or Mater Dei or some of those South FL teams that produce 10+ 3-4* recruits and dominate the recruiting boards might could knock off a bad D2 team because it's 17-18 year olds usually v 18-22 year olds, not 30 year old grown men.  Still extremely unlikely just more likely than beating an NFL team. I think Riverheads would have lost comfortably to KW, just like KW likely loses to Phoebus or LCA, etc..

17 hours ago, BigWinners said:

It's insane. I'm a pretty die hard Alabama fan but to think a team full of 18-22 year olds, even the best 18-22 year olds on the planet, could beat a team full of grown men is craziness. There's been a couple of Bama teams where basically every starter was drafted or made a roster but they're still just basically kids competing against full grown men. 

I think the tip top level HS teams have a better shot at a bad NAIA school or D2 school than Bama does against the Lions or Jags. IMG or Mater Dei or some of those South FL teams that produce 10+ 3-4* recruits and dominate the recruiting boards might could knock off a bad D2 team because it's 17-18 year olds usually v 18-22 year olds, not 30 year old grown men.  Still extremely unlikely just more likely than beating an NFL team. I think Riverheads would have lost comfortably to KW, just like KW likely loses to Phoebus or LCA, etc..

No way Riverheads plays a season against 3A or 4A  teams and survives . On the other hand they can play one game against the best of the upper divisions and compete ! The size of the backups is the difference .jmo

I believe the baby boomers are going to be in a world of hurt in the coming years. They lived through the greatest economic period possible and the vast majority blew everything. Once their power is handed off to the next generation, so will their handouts. The majority of younger generation believe boomers are to blame for the economic problems we face, rightfully so. With this understanding, I doubt many will ever provide a handout to that generation and instead use the same selfish behavior at the expense of the boomers, monkey see monkey do. 

3 hours ago, Red Rabbit said:

No way Riverheads plays a season against 3A or 4A  teams and survives . On the other hand they can play one game against the best of the upper divisions and compete ! The size of the backups is the difference .jmo

Agree here. Great point. The same argument a decade ago about those great Boise St teams and being able to compete for one game.  It's true, they could have and they did, but the Keypoint is "a season." Put those Boise St.  teams in the SEC, same with Cinci today, and it's no longer your top 22 against the other teams top 22. Due to the physicality, it becomes your top 33 or even 44 against the other teams top 33 or 44. What I'm getting at is........the depth chart comes into play and gets exposed, and that's where the drop-off occurs when trying to play an entire season in an elite conference verses simply playing against one elite team from and elite conference for one single game. 

On 1/7/2022 at 7:06 AM, sixcat said:

Is this supposed to be some sort of veiled threat?

Threat????  Looks like someone needs his hot cocoa, Legos, and Play-Doh.  

On 1/7/2022 at 7:06 AM, sixcat said:

Is this supposed to be some sort of veiled threat?

Threat????  Looks like someone needs his hot cocoa, Legos, and Play-Doh.  

7 hours ago, Red Rabbit said:

It's a good point and I agree that Riverheads could potentially win a one off game against a good 3A team, they beat LB just this year (although Appo did as well), but I can't see them beating Phoebus or Varina. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2022 at 9:01 AM, ghos88t said:

Why would he retire with just 26 years teaching experience????  VRS requires 30 years experience for full retirement benefits..  Is he going somewhere else to Coach???  Very odd to step away at this time.

Pehaps he has 30+ years teaching experience and 26 years of that coaching.  

On 1/8/2022 at 7:32 PM, BigWinners said:

It's a good point and I agree that Riverheads could potentially win a one off game against a good 3A team, they beat LB just this year (although Appo did as well), but I can't see them beating Phoebus or Varina. 

Phoebus is the Appalachia of Eastern Virginia.  Most people don't realize that all those golden years in the Peninsula District when they were playing Div 5-Class 5, they had low Div 4-Class 4 numbers and won a bunch of state titles with the late Bill Dee, and had 2 top 10 Nationally Ranked years.  Finally, they are playing where they should be and even against a Goliath that recruits like FCA, they can toe to toe on most years with the baddest of the bad-pound for pound.  The closing of Fort Monroe (Army Base) and the growth of private schooling in the Hampton area was a big hit on Phoebus's numbers. 

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Phoebus is the Appalachia of Eastern Virginia.  Most people don't realize that all those golden years in the Peninsula District when they were playing Div 5-Class 5, they had low Div 4-Class 4 numbers and won a bunch of state titles with the late Bill Dee, and had 2 top 10 Nationally Ranked years.  Finally, they are playing where they should be and even against a Goliath that recruits like FCA, they can toe to toe on most years with the baddest of the bad-pound for pound.  The closing of Fort Monroe (Army Base) and the growth of private schooling in the Hampton area was a big hit on Phoebus's numbers. 

I was always aware they kinda took over the NOVA mantle as baddest on the block once Hampton kinda cooled a bit but I had no idea they were playing with that many fewer statements. They were one of those pencil in the final four teams. Now being 3A, it's probably fair to consider them the same going forward, as a team that's probably gonna make it to the last couple teams every year. 

On 4/3/2022 at 5:11 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Phoebus does have a beach a few blocks away. Buckroe Beach. Kind like where the Chesapeake Bay, Hampton Roadstead (aka Roads), and Atlantic Ocean meet just north of Norfolk and Virginia Beach. 

To be honest I would avoid the Phoebus area and Buckroe Beach for the crime.