Wise Central luke Owens

RichRich

12 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Will Travis go to Wise since we fired him at Union?

All jokes aside, Central could be one of the best jobs in SWVA. Especially, if Eastside closes in the next 10 years. Plus with JIB next door practically a good coach could cherry pick that school for athletes.  Assuming they could build some rapport in Norton.

2 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

All jokes aside, Central could be one of the best jobs in SWVA. Especially, if Eastside closes in the next 10 years. Plus with JIB next door practically a good coach could cherry pick that school for athletes.  Assuming they could build some rapport in Norton.

Given the history between Norton and Wise, it would take a phenomenal coach to get any athletes to come to Central. I really hoped they would come to Union, but no dice yet.

18 minutes ago, Mullins said:

I heard that Jody Collins was applying for the job. Mcamus might be on the sidelines. 

Collins would he a good choice....hasn't coached in a few years but offensive minded. And him and Mcamus are close so he would have some support from day 1. Bet a lot of kids would come out to play for him too.

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

Given the history between Norton and Wise, it would take a phenomenal coach to get any athletes to come to Central. I really hoped they would come to Union, but no dice yet.

I don’t disagree with that a bit, but if that were to happen it would change the landscape the the M7. We would be talking about a 3a maybe 4a school though. 

Does this invigorate the program or set it back a bit.  I never heard much opinion or thoughts on where Owens ranked in terms of coaches in the region.  I know he got those kids to play hard.  Felt like the other schools were starting to figure out that offense a bit.  If the next hire isn’t well received I wonder if we see some kids shift to other schools.

39 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

I don’t disagree with that a bit, but if that were to happen it would change the landscape the the M7. We would be talking about a 3a maybe 4a school though. 

Given Union's drop in enrollment, they could almost absorb all of Burton and still be 2A, but Central and Eastside would certainly be 3A.

Of course, we don't need all of Burton, just their football players. 😉

13 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Does this invigorate the program or set it back a bit.  I never heard much opinion or thoughts on where Owens ranked in terms of coaches in the region.  I know he got those kids to play hard.  Felt like the other schools were starting to figure out that offense a bit.  If the next hire isn’t well received I wonder if we see some kids shift to other schools.

He was blessed with a very talented group of kids the last few seasons. I would like to have seen how they fared the next few years with him as coach, but I guess we'll never know.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

It would be difficult to find a better candidate. The kids already know him well and he is an outstanding coach. 

He did a good job at Hurley as the head guy correct? And he seems to be a coach kids would come out to play for. Never met the man but I haven’t heard anything negative about him or his coaching. 

52 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Given Union's drop in enrollment, they could almost absorb all of Burton and still be 2A, but Central and Eastside would certainly be 3A.

Of course, we don't need all of Burton, just their football players. 😉

I'd say that if Burton were to close (which I doubt anytime soon) they'd most likely end up at Central.  The big part of my argument would be Eastside closing which I have little doubt will happen in the next 10 years.  With the right coach and administration, that could be a juggernaut.  They'd certainly complete for state titles at the 3a level.

7 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

I'd say that if Burton were to close (which I doubt anytime soon) they'd most likely end up at Central.  The big part of my argument would be Eastside closing which I have little doubt will happen in the next 10 years.  With the right coach and administration, that could be a juggernaut.  They'd certainly complete for state titles at the 3a level.

Yea, I'm not sure what the landscape of Wise Co will look like in the future. Ten years ago, a former Norton city manager made a comment that JI Burton only had 5 years left before they'd be forced to close. That didn't happen.

52 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Yea, I'm not sure what the landscape of Wise Co will look like in the future. Ten years ago, a former Norton city manager made a comment that JI Burton only had 5 years left before they'd be forced to close. That didn't happen.

I’ve heard that 2, but I know that Central was built to hold a lot more students than currently go there. Union may be the same way but I’ve never been in there.  I think the Norton community has its feet dug in more. Plus the county didn’t do much of a remodel at Eastside. You're right about the landscape of the county. But I'd say more likely than not Eastside will be gone before Norton.  
It's all just a guess though.  I wouldn't be shocked to see some counties try to combine at some point in the next few decades.  

1 hour ago, Wolf1207 said:

I’ve heard that 2, but I know that Central was built to hold a lot more students than currently go there. Union may be the same way but I’ve never been in there.  I think the Norton community has its feet dug in more. Plus the county didn’t do much of a remodel at Eastside. You're right about the landscape of the county. But I'd say more likely than not Eastside will be gone before Norton.  
It's all just a guess though.  I wouldn't be shocked to see some counties try to combine at some point in the next few decades.  

Union and Central schools are pretty much identical 

14 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

11 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

The devotion of Norton kids(and their families) to "The CIty" is unparalleled. Those kids ain't leaving