Wise Central luke Owens

RichRich

49 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Coincidence: decade team graduates a bunch and coach is out. Don't think because talent left,  but more like he tried his best with their best and it didn't happen. No shame in that,  right decision that any coach would/has said they would do if they can't produce consistently. Politics, certainly involved but maybe they don't air their laundry like everyone else.  He did a good job at a non- football school. 

Akers? Too soon? Bahahaha 

I still think Central has an extremely talented group of kids coming...

If I'm not mistaking the Central basketball coach left to be closer to his family and not commute so far to work.  The varsity basketball team doesn't have a lot of what ppl would call basketball players just a few real players on that team.  Now the Jv and 7-8th grade teams are stacked and dominating teams in both football and basketball.

8 hours ago, BKFootball said:

If I'm not mistaking the Central basketball coach left to be closer to his family and not commute so far to work.  The varsity basketball team doesn't have a lot of what ppl would call basketball players just a few real players on that team.  Now the Jv and 7-8th grade teams are stacked and dominating teams in both football and basketball.

Wise was a M7 contender not long ago but they lost a coach to Lee High. I understand the commute is easier and stuff but a team who believes they should be near the top of the district shouldnt be losing coaches to the bottom of the district.

Wise always brags about their JV supposedly dominating, let's see it happen when it matters before I put any stock into that. 

7 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Wise was a M7 contender not long ago but they lost a coach to Lee High. I understand the commute is easier and stuff but a team who believes they should be near the top of the district shouldnt be losing coaches to the bottom of the district.

Wise always brags about their JV supposedly dominating, let's see it happen when it matters before I put any stock into that. 

It helps when you hold back most of the kids as Wise did with their “super class”.  But it doesn’t auto translate into dominance.  Central’s class beat RV’s from crunch bunch all the way through JV….every single time except once in 8th grade.  But that RV Class beat them twice this year when it mattered….and with a younger class.  An offensive/coaching change (to a passing attack), a sensational Freshman QB and an out of state transfer WR derailed all those plans.  All of those events were unforeseen.  It happens.

3 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

It helps when you hold back most of the kids as Wise did with their “super class”.  But it doesn’t auto translate into dominance.  Central’s class beat RV’s from crunch bunch all the way through JV….every single time except once in 8th grade.  But that RV Class beat them twice this year when it mattered….and with a younger class.  An offensive/coaching change (to a passing attack), a sensational Freshman QB and an out of state transfer WR derailed all those plans.  All of those events were unforeseen.  It happens.

It just never seems to fully translate. A stout JV program 100% helps build a successful HS team, I'm not gonna argue otherwise, but like you said there's all sorts of wrinkles that lol up by the time a class graduates. Kids move, stop playing, younger kids excel, coaches change, some kids develop later, etc... 

If they hire from within the region could we see a domino effect that we saw last year?

Pulaski gets Radfords head coach

Radford takes Crist from VA high

VA high takes Patterson from Holston

Holston steals the great Akers away from Fort

Fort scrambles until 2 weeks before the season starts

On 1/6/2022 at 10:58 PM, Smashmouth said:

Coincidence: decade team graduates a bunch and coach is out. Don't think because talent left,  but more like he tried his best with their best and it didn't happen. No shame in that,  right decision that any coach would/has said they would do if they can't produce consistently. Politics, certainly involved but maybe they don't air their laundry like everyone else.  He did a good job at a non- football school. 

Akers? Too soon? Bahahaha 

I find this statement funny! Leaving with the talent Huh? Maybe he is just tired and ready to move on with life. Being a head coach and doing a good job is a grind. JJ kelly nor pound has had a lot of success on the Gridiron with the exception of a couple years. However, since the schools consolidated there still hasn't been much success with the exception of the past couple years. In the last 3 years Luke has beat union 3 out of 4 times and won 4 playoff games.  Before 2019 they had never defeated Union or won a playoff game. I think this little 3 year run got a lot of wise people spoiled because they had never been there before. He has been on both ends with Central and he is leaving the program better than he found it. Central is a tough place to coach and its not a football school. Hats off to Coach Owens! Oh yeah by the way central has another good group on the way! So the shelf is not empty!

Think Central is a tough place to coach? Yesterday, Fort Pierce (FL) Westwood hired their 11th coach in the last 13 years. Amazingly, the Panthers managed to make the playoffs with winning records in 6 of those 13 seasons. Their biggest problem has been other schools poaching their players, which is rampant everywhere down here. This past year, Westwood lost 4 starters to Vero Beach. Their QB, a DB who is headed to Indiana, a WR who is committed to FSU in the class of 23, and a DE. They also lost a starting OL to Treasure Coast HS. Down 5 quality starters and losing several others to injuries, the Panthers finished 0-9 and had 27 players dressed the last time I saw them play. Who did they hire this time? It's a guy who is a radio host for the local ESPN radio station. Yeah, Wise is probably a tough place to coach, but it can always be worse...

Let's put this rumor to rest, Central is not a hard place to coach.  Owens was able to establish a good culture, had great community support, and was able to combine the Pound and Wise youth programs, which was much needed.  This will be a good coaching job for someone.The Warriors do a graduate a lot this year, but the cupboard is far from bare.

Rhodes- possible has done well at Eastside not much of a move for him travel wise

Hamilton please stop

Bostic- waiting for his chance

Edwards- proven at Union but those fans seem a little disgruntled

Tester- Great coach well respected but would have to move may not want to.

1 hour ago, swvafbrespect said:

Rhodes- possible has done well at Eastside not much of a move for him travel wise

Hamilton please stop

Bostic- waiting for his chance

Edwards- proven at Union but those fans seem a little disgruntled

Tester- Great coach well respected but would have to move may not want to.

I had to go back and look but ES won the Cumberland the year before Rhodes got there and they are 17-21 since, but HC experience is valuable, which Tester has as well. Edwards may be a good fit and the animosity towards him at the end of the year could sway that. Can’t really see Bostic going anywhere as he coaches GBB and I believe his son is coming up through middle school now. It’s going to be interesting for sure.