Wise Central luke Owens

RichRich

It funny everyone still says Central isn't a football school. What is it a girls basketball school? Wait I guess Wise is a baseball school since Wise used to win a lot of games under the Shupe era of some of the hardest throwing pitchers to ever come out of Virginia.  Of course that all ended at the end of the 90's, you guys are good with stats when is the last time a Wise team has played for a state championship in boys baseball I am curious about that.  That being said I think Coach Owens did a great job with a run first offense that he didn't try to hide and few teams could stop.  An for whomever gets the spot they have a lot of good talent out there to choose from for the next 8 years if the kids stick together.

21 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Let's put this rumor to rest, Central is not a hard place to coach.  Owens was able to establish a good culture, had great community support, and was able to combine the Pound and Wise youth programs, which was much needed.  This will be a good coaching job for someone.The Warriors do a graduate a lot this year, but the cupboard is far from bare.

It’s a particularly difficult place to coach, whether you choose to believe it or not.

31 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

It’s a particularly difficult place to coach, whether you choose to believe it or not.

None so blind as those who will not see said Col. Harvey! Wise has been a hot mess for years.!

40 minutes ago, SXSW said:

None so blind as those who will not see said Col. Harvey! Wise has been a hot mess for years.!

Some sports, like girls’ basketball, lack the political and historical difficulties that sports such as football have.  But truth be told, if you’re not winning and winning big, your head’s on the chopping block there.

3 hours ago, footballsmartie04 said:

Greg Tester told me that he thought about taking over the coaching job, but his son a DPOY?? I was surprised by this one. IMHO I thought Logan Mullins from central had more skill.

I agree about Mullins…felt he was more disruptive.  Tester dropped into zone often and was able to pick several balls and was an excellent sideline to sideline backer.  It felt that he had reached his athletic upside last year…..I noticed that those excellent run stuffing LBs struggled when RV went all in aim throwing the ball against them in the playoffs.  

Heard from a very reliable source today that Tom Crigger is gonna throw his name in the ring for the head job at Central. He’s been out of coaching for a few years but itching to get back in. He and Luke were high school teammates and I’m sure Luke would give him a good word. U heard it here first, Coach Crigger back in the saddle!

On 1/20/2022 at 12:43 AM, BKFootball said:

It funny everyone still says Central isn't a football school. What is it a girls basketball school? Wait I guess Wise is a baseball school since Wise used to win a lot of games under the Shupe era of some of the hardest throwing pitchers to ever come out of Virginia.  Of course that all ended at the end of the 90's, you guys are good with stats when is the last time a Wise team has played for a state championship in boys baseball I am curious about that.  That being said I think Coach Owens did a great job with a run first offense that he didn't try to hide and few teams could stop.  An for whomever gets the spot they have a lot of good talent out there to choose from for the next 8 years if the kids stick together.

Well considering they have about 5 girls basketball state championships, calling them a girls basketball school isn’t far off.

Considering their 53-63 program record in football, it’s safe to say they’re not a football school .

2 hours ago, BKFootball said:

Anyone heard when they will post who got the job.  Just thinking if Rhodes gets it they will have to get another coach for Eastside. That doesn't leave a  lot of time.

There is a lot of coaching searches at the moment moving at a snails pace. I think a lot of that has to do with new mask mandates and the 2022 blizzard that shut down most schools all last week. As frustrating as it is I dont see too make announcements coming soon

5 hours ago, Jags52 said:

There is a lot of coaching searches at the moment moving at a snails pace. I think a lot of that has to do with new mask mandates and the 2022 blizzard that shut down most schools all last week. As frustrating as it is I dont see too make announcements coming soon

If it is an external hire then they are really shortening the runway if they want a successful launch.  If you are hiring internal then it’s much easier.  If it is an internal hire, M curious if they keep the wing offense.  I know people have mentioned Rhodes, Crigger, Edwards and Tester.  What does the board think about the odds of those?  

5 hours ago, Jags52 said:

I have solid intel that is pointing to the Marion job being all but finalized.  Spoke to "the guy" and he is super confident it will be announced soon.

2 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

If it is an external hire then they are really shortening the runway if they want a successful launch.  If you are hiring internal then it’s much easier.  If it is an internal hire, M curious if they keep the wing offense.  I know people have mentioned Rhodes, Crigger, Edwards and Tester.  What does the board think about the odds of those?  

With no disrespect to the other 3 as I bet they are all good, but at Giles High, if for some reason our man decided to abruptly call it quits and I was told Tester was the knew Head Coach, I would be very happy.  He absolutely KNOWS football, and from this poster's point of view, that's how much confidence I have in Tester, and I consider our program, for right or wrong, and obviously biased, as dam% near sacred.

2 hours ago, RoseBowlLegend59 said:

I have solid intel that is pointing to the Marion job being all but finalized.  Spoke to "the guy" and he is super confident it will be announced soon.

Hmm that’s crazy I guess I was wrong on my assessment of things moving slow

It's definitely a girls basketball school what are you talking about.  It sure as hell isn't a football school.  You should be proud of the girls for being so great instead of defending the football team who like Union will probably never win a championship unless we keep losing people and drop to 1A and riverheads actually moves to 2A

On 1/20/2022 at 8:10 PM, DirkDiggler said:

Heard from a very reliable source today that Tom Crigger is gonna throw his name in the ring for the head job at Central. He’s been out of coaching for a few years but itching to get back in. He and Luke were high school teammates and I’m sure Luke would give him a good word. U heard it here first, Coach Crigger back in the saddle!

DUH!!!!!! 

Central is a girls basketball school, end of discussion. Robin Dotson may be the GOAT of SWVA coaches. They are not a football school. 

On 1/24/2022 at 5:44 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

With no disrespect to the other 3 as I bet they are all good, but at Giles High, if for some reason our man decided to abruptly call it quits and I was told Tester was the knew Head Coach, I would be very happy.  He absolutely KNOWS football, and from this poster's point of view, that's how much confidence I have in Tester, and I consider our program, for right or wrong, and obviously biased, as dam% near sacred.

A lot better than the one we may get

19 hours ago, goose111874 said:

It's definitely a girls basketball school what are you talking about.  It sure as hell isn't a football school.  You should be proud of the girls for being so great instead of defending the football team who like Union will probably never win a championship unless we keep losing people and drop to 1A and riverheads actually moves to 2A

That what I was saying and pointing out it no longer a baseball school. Not defending the football team just stating a fact they are getting better and better. 

3 hours ago, BKFootball said:

That what I was saying and pointing out it no longer a baseball school. Not defending the football team just stating a fact they are getting better and better. 

But to me the question is, have they hit their ceiling?