Battle of the Bears

ghos88t

For the next scheduling cycle Union and Pikeville should start playing ever year.  They could purchase a trophy together.  I mean a really nice huge trophy of a Bear on a huge base with brass tags listing each year’s winner and score. The Bear could be carved out of coal.  It would really be an easy road trip since Highway 23 goes by both schools. It would be better for Union than playing some of the schools that they are now playing and we mean no disrespect to any school. If would even be good for Pikeville.

We have The Back of the Dragon Trophy, why not “The Bear”?  

1 hour ago, ghos88t said:

For the next scheduling cycle Union and Pikeville should start playing ever year.  They could purchase a trophy together.  I mean a really nice huge trophy of a Bear on a huge base with brass tags listing each year’s winner and score. The Bear could be carved out of coal.  It would really be an easy road trip since Highway 23 goes by both schools. It would be better for Union than playing some of the schools that they are now playing and we mean no disrespect to any school. If would even be good for Pikeville.

I think Union would rather travel to TN as opposed to KY, seems like Turner has better relationships that way. Pikeville is also very very good right? Dunno if Union would wanna start an annual game they'd likely lose 8/10 times lol.

53 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I think Union would rather travel to TN as opposed to KY, seems like Turner has better relationships that way. Pikeville is also very very good right? Dunno if Union would wanna start an annual game they'd likely lose 8/10 times lol.

It's an hour and 10 minutes driving time from school to school (60 miles).   Pikeville is a machine.  I think they have 6 or 7 state titles, and played for far, far more, and many final four appearances.  They just won it again this year.  Pikeville is one bad outfit.  They came to Mitchell Stadium 1 time in the mid 90's and absolutely wore Bluefield out.  That Bluefield team either lost or won the state title.  I can't remember, but I know they played for it, and I think Yubrenal Isabelle (UVA and NE. Patriots) might have been the star player on that team for the Beavers. 

57 minutes ago, Pack Nation said:

Isn’t Pikeville’s mascot a panther?

9 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Thats what I was thinking.  Harlan County is the Bears.

University of Pikeville is the Bears. That might be where the confusion came in at.

Uncle Percy probably knew that though.😉

4 hours ago, ghos88t said:

The only problem is that Union would be down 21-0 after getting off the bus every other year.

7 hours ago, ghos88t said:

If we could stop having the Back of the Dragon Trophy, and by that I mean keep the game and ditch the incense burner, that would be great. 

Personally I am done with Kentucky teams. 

If you’re going to play out of state, play Tennessee teams. Decent ones. Ones that we could beat at least 5/10 times. 

Don’t want D-B, Science Hill, or West Ridge. I wouldn’t do Elizabethton either. Just keep them as a scrimmage  

Cherokee on a good season would be good. Thing is Cherokee has been horrible the last few years. Volunteer we would win 8-9/10. 

We would beat Cocke County 10/10 times. They’re awful. 

Greeneville would slaughter us 9/10 times. 

Tennessee High would be back and forth. 

We had a couple of thrillers against Morristown-West.

PV used to play Seymour, which is in Sevier County. That series kind of reeked. 

If we wanted a Battle of the Bears then why not play Sevier County? Lol

Didn’t we almost play Science Hill. 

1 hour ago, BearsFan88 said:

Personally I am done with Kentucky teams. 

If you’re going to play out of state, play Tennessee teams. Decent ones. Ones that we could beat at least 5/10 times. 

Don’t want D-B, Science Hill, or West Ridge. I wouldn’t do Elizabethton either. Just keep them as a scrimmage  

Cherokee on a good season would be good. Thing is Cherokee has been horrible the last few years. Volunteer we would win 8-9/10. 

We would beat Cocke County 10/10 times. They’re awful. 

Greeneville would slaughter us 9/10 times. 

Tennessee High would be back and forth. 

We had a couple of thrillers against Morristown-West.

PV used to play Seymour, which is in Sevier County. That series kind of reeked. 

If we wanted a Battle of the Bears then why not play Sevier County? Lol

Didn’t we almost play Science Hill. 

I know you don't want to play Kentucky teams, but by looking at what you wrote down, you make a good argument for........playing Kentucky teams

39 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

I know you don't want to play Kentucky teams, but by looking at what you wrote down, you make a good argument for........playing Kentucky teams

It can be just such a headache at times playing over there. I'm sure they feel they get stiffed coming into VA to play but some of the insanity Union/PV has seen when traveling to some KY schools to play just far outweighs the benefits. There are some well respected and great teams in eastern KY that I feel like would give Union decent treatment and play great games but seems like the schools they've scheduled in the past weren't always as willing. Letcher County on the whole seemed to be pretty fair but there were some absolute clown shows at times. Breathitt County, that was just a wild area and some wild games. Union doesn't need that kinda hassle lol.

I'd be fine with Union playing any NETN school really, a DB game would be a huge crowd for both stadiums but that'll never happen. Science Hill, Elizabethton, Crockett, South, TN High, etc..would all be fun experiences for the kids with Union seeing various (from losing every meeting handily to being competitive) results.

1 hour ago, Fairlawncat said:

I would rather lose fair and square than lose with home cooking. 

Home cooking is what you get when you are a Virginia team playing in Kentucky.   

I remember the PV/Breathitt County games.

Who can forget the Union at Middlesboro debacle in 2013? Ridiculous. 

9 hours ago, BigWinners said:

It can be just such a headache at times playing over there. I'm sure they feel they get stiffed coming into VA to play but some of the insanity Union/PV has seen when traveling to some KY schools to play just far outweighs the benefits. There are some well respected and great teams in eastern KY that I feel like would give Union decent treatment and play great games but seems like the schools they've scheduled in the past weren't always as willing. Letcher County on the whole seemed to be pretty fair but there were some absolute clown shows at times. Breathitt County, that was just a wild area and some wild games. Union doesn't need that kinda hassle lol.

I'd be fine with Union playing any NETN school really, a DB game would be a huge crowd for both stadiums but that'll never happen. Science Hill, Elizabethton, Crockett, South, TN High, etc..would all be fun experiences for the kids with Union seeing various (from losing every meeting handily to being competitive) results.

I was told by a retired DB AD that games against smaller schools are no win situations for DB, they can't do home and home with the small schools because of the logistics, most small schools can even sit DB's band. If DB played Union, no matter how good they were you not beating a 6A school because of depth and resources. DB has proven that they may never win a 6A title but they can beat any school not named Maryville consistently. If Union wants to play a Tennessee team call Tennessee High or Elizabethton that would be a games they could win occasionally 

7 hours ago, SXSW said:

I was told by a retired DB AD that games against smaller schools are no win situations for DB, they can't do home and home with the small schools because of the logistics, most small schools can even sit DB's band. If DB played Union, no matter how good they were you not beating a 6A school because of depth and resources. DB has proven that they may never win a 6A title but they can beat any school not named Maryville consistently. If Union wants to play a Tennessee team call Tennessee High or Elizabethton that would be a games they could win occasionally 

That's what I was saying, a game against DB will never happen. DB would never agree to play GC, their neighbor, there's no chance they'd travel further for a home and home. Maybe in a weird scenario where they lose a home game and need a quick replacement and Union was willing to travel, but even that seems unlikely. You may be overstating DB just a bit,they've lost to Science Hill three years in a row, but Maryville has ended their last three years and they would dominate Union in an overwhelming amount of years.

But....just food for though, a down DB in 2018 beat Morristown West by eight on the road. 

In 2018, Union beat Morristown West on the road by eight. 

Not saying it means anything,in almost every year it doesnt, but there are outlier years where the impossible may happen.

15 hours ago, BigWinners said:

That's what I was saying, a game against DB will never happen. DB would never agree to play GC, their neighbor, there's no chance they'd travel further for a home and home. Maybe in a weird scenario where they lose a home game and need a quick replacement and Union was willing to travel, but even that seems unlikely. You may be overstating DB just a bit,they've lost to Science Hill three years in a row, but Maryville has ended their last three years and they would dominate Union in an overwhelming amount of years.

But....just food for though, a down DB in 2018 beat Morristown West by eight on the road. 

Not saying it means anything,in almost every year it doesnt, but there are outlier years where the impossible may happen.

DB is at an historically low ebb in talent right now but still good enough to beat most of the teams in the NE Tennessee area. They have a few good players coming but this upcoming senior class in middle school won one game between the two middle schools and it was against the other middle school. Betsy won't play DB but maybe they would play Union. 

On 1/8/2022 at 9:38 PM, Union_Fan said:

University of Pikeville is the Bears. That might be where the confusion came in at.

Uncle Percy probably knew that though.😉

Hey Union_Fan. Uncle Percy said to remind him to be careful if he ever played cards with you.  

6 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Pikeville is the transfer capital of Kentucky isn't it?

Pretty much. Kids from all over Pike County as well as Floyd and Letcher. KY has the county the vehicle is registered in in their tags, lots of cars from different counties with a Pikeville P sticker in their back glass

On 1/10/2022 at 3:23 PM, BigWinners said:

In any given year I could see a 2a good swva team beating DB or SH, but not consistently. Graham this year could have done it. 

Greeneville hammered DB a couple of years ago! I know that was a super team, but they aren’t much bigger than the teams in Region D, and Abingdon may be larger. I’m not for sure on that one.