Wise Central and Gate City brawl

swva_havok_fan

5 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Wise Central and Gate City had a brawl in their boys game tonight.  Three Central players and one GC player were tossed.

After GC didn’t suspend a player for breaking a kid’s jaw a few years ago my guess is that nothing will happen. 

Final score 79-28 gate city.  Looks like that fight took the fight out of Central.  Some schools have a policy if you get ejected it's also a school suspension too.  Not sure if either of these has that

Watched on NFHS. Refs are responsible for this. The red headed kid for Gate City is obviously very intense and determined, but he was constantly holding the kid from Central and those were blatant fouls off the ball from the start of the game. He should have been called for this, then emotions boiled over from the Central kid who again, was fouled, off the ball by the same kid from GC, and the Central kid lost his cool and escalated. 

None of this would have happened if the kid from Gate City would have been called early on for his off the ball fouls. Pis@poor job by the officials. Only my take, but if you disagree, watch the game on NFHS from the start and up until the brawl. You can count at least 3 to 4 personal fouls by the kid from GC on the kid from Central in which both of these two were the two that wrestled each other to the ground.

7 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Watched on NFHS. Refs are responsible for this. The red headed kid for Gate City is obviously very intense and determined, but he was constantly holding the kid from Central and those were blatant fouls off the ball from the start of the game. He should have been called for this, then emotions boiled over from the Central kid who again, was fouled, off the ball by the same kid from GC, and the Central kid lost his cool and escalated. 

None of this would have happened if the kid from Gate City would have been called early on for his off the ball fouls. Pis@poor job by the officials. Only my take, but if you disagree, watch the game on NFHS from the start and up until the brawl. You can count at least 3 to 4 personal fouls by the kid from GC on the kid from Central in which both of these two were the two that wrestled each other to the ground.

It happened like a minute into the game.

While I agree that the GC player was playing intense and up in the WC player’s face, etc., it still didn’t warrant grabbing him and throwing him down. This wasn’t something that escalated from the 1st of the game through the end.

The GC player didn’t enter the game until the 6 minute mark of the 1st and the fight occurred at the 3 minute mark of the 1st. Could the refs maybe controlled it a little better, yes, but if a basketball player can’t handle what happened to him in 3 minutes of game time in terms of someone being aggressive with you, then they shouldn’t play basketball. There were no dirty plays or cheap shots, fouls maybe yes, but nothing that warrants that type of reaction.

That kid was looking for a fight with the GC student section before the game too so sounds like he was ready to do what he did before the game and the way GC was playing him just escalated it quicker.

I agree 100% the kid from Centrals retaliation was wrong and he should have been tossed. You have to be mature enough to keep your cool and play on and he's as guilty as anyone. I'm just saying this....the kid from GC was committing off the ball fouls (I counted 3) all over the court before the incident and it should have been called. If im a GC coach, you definitely want that intensity and toughness on defense from this kid, but it has to be controlled, and if you foul, you foul.  No question though, there is zero excuse for thr Central kid losing his cool.  Even when the brawl started, it was another off the ball foul by the GC kid which wasn't called initially and the Central kid wrongfully lost it. The kid from Central was clearly frustrated. He had one of his shots blocked by the GC kid a series or two before the brawl.

The GC kid number 20 got into his head, and even when the Central player wrestled him to the ground and the GC kid got position, he never through a punch when he certainly could have.  Number 20 for GC also got a couple of buckets in the lane before the brawl.  The kid from GC was absolutely not playing dirty. He's just physical and an intense defender which is what you want as a coach.

Maybe my aging eyes aren't worth much, but rarely when a bench clears does it end well. From what I saw, after the moment the two kids took each other down, it seemed to me like every other human out there, including the ones that ran out there tried to break it up and assauge the situation and acted in good faith, both Central and GC players.

I noticed nobody from Central wanted to take a swing on Carson Jenkins and that was a smart choice. Wouldn't have ended well. That kid is built like a brick.

Tough in your face defense doesn't usually warrant a hip toss in retaliation.   Looks to me like leading up to it there were a couple of hard screens and jawing, but nothing outside of the realm of what's normal for  a game.  Scoring for that match,  1-0 in favor of gate city,  headlock was illegal cause he locked it without the arm. No escape,  reversal, or nearfall points. Bahaha 

39 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

He watches every game ever played, I’m sure they all blend together after a while.

For starters, the fight wasn't the first minute into the game, so check the false narrative UVA before running with it. 

I'm amazed how some seem to equate watching a game on NFHS with driving 1 hour to a game, watching for 2, then an hour back for a grand total of 4 hours.

If you flip through timeouts and the end of quarters and the half, you can watch a High School Basketball game in about 40 minutes on NFHS. If you do that for 2 hours, you have watched 6 teams play. If you repeat the above, you have watched 12 teams play in that 4 hour time frame that would have taken a 4 hour to and from to watch 1 game. It's not that difficult.

Teams like Radford, James River, McCluer, Abingdon, Gate City, Union, Graham, Martinsville, John Marshall...........yes, I've watched when available, and done with not a ton of time devoted to it.

26 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

For starters, the fight wasn't the first minute into the game, so check the false narrative UVA before running with it. 

I'm amazed how some seem to equate watching a game on NFHS with driving 1 hour to a game, watching for 2, then an hour back for a grand total of 4 hours.

If you flip through timeouts and the end of quarters and the half, you can watch a High School Basketball game in about 40 minutes on NFHS. If you do that for 2 hours, you have watched 6 teams play. If you repeat the above, you have watched 12 teams play in that 4 hour time frame that would have taken a 4 hour to and from to watch 1 game. It's not that difficult.

Teams like Radford, James River, McCluer, Abingdon, Gate City, Union, Graham, Martinsville, John Marshall...........yes, I've watched when available, and done with not a ton of time devoted to it.

It's why I said like a minute. It was like halfway thru the first quarter, hardly the end of a game frustration brawl.

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

It's why I said like a minute. It was like halfway thru the first quarter, hardly the end of a game frustration brawl.

Ok, I see what you are meaning BW.  UVA is right though, I do have a foggy brain.  I try to stay sharp to keep up, because I got something that gives me the nasty shakes that goes with the foggy brain.  Regarding the event with GC and Central, something like this isn't too common here in SWVA and I think it speaks to how well behaved our kids and coaches are.  Certainly, boys will sometimes by boys, but by in large, the issues regarding discipline compared to the rest of Virgina can seem trivial.  Check this one out.      "Remember the Titans."  Alexandria City (Former TC Williams), their coach went into the stands and got into a fight earlier this year.

High school coach resigns after mid-game altercation with fan | wusa9.com

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Tough in your face defense doesn't usually warrant a hip toss in retaliation.   Looks to me like leading up to it there were a couple of hard screens and jawing, but nothing outside of the realm of what's normal for  a game.  Scoring for that match,  1-0 in favor of gate city,  headlock was illegal cause he locked it without the arm. No escape,  reversal, or nearfall points. Bahaha 

Meh looked like he had an arm in,  Looking at the video tho  appeared to be all on the Central kid losing his cool.  Kid got hip tossed out of the blue and got tossed out of the game.  Of course refs didnt have the video like we to do to watch

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Ok, I see what you are meaning BW.  UVA is right though, I do have a foggy brain.  I try to stay sharp to keep up, because I got something that gives me the nasty shakes that goes with the foggy brain.  Regarding the event with GC and Central, something like this isn't too common here in SWVA and I think it speaks to how well behaved our kids and coaches are.  Certainly, boys will sometimes by boys, but by in large, the issues regarding discipline compared to the rest of Virgina can seem trivial.  Check this one out.      "Remember the Titans."  Alexandria City (Former TC Williams), their coach went into the stands and got into a fight earlier this year.

High school coach resigns after mid-game altercation with fan | wusa9.com

Wise and GC has became a heated, very intense rivalry. For a while, Wise was coached to be very intense and very physical. GC has always been intense and physical so they clashed. At times it got ugly, McClung being undercut, kids going to hospital, etc.. As weird as it sounds, the other night was somewhat tame comparatively.