Wise Central and Gate City brawl

swva_havok_fan

On 1/9/2022 at 4:38 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Maybe my aging eyes aren't worth much, but rarely when a bench clears does it end well. From what I saw, after the moment the two kids took each other down, it seemed to me like every other human out there, including the ones that ran out there tried to break it up and assauge the situation and acted in good faith, both Central and GC players.

I noticed nobody from Central wanted to take a swing on Carson Jenkins and that was a smart choice. Wouldn't have ended well. That kid is built like a brick.

Out of all this, how does it not be a double technical foul. cause only Central received the technical foul and 3 players were ejected which was the right call, but how can  Gate City only have 1 player ejected when you can see the Jenkins kid shove the Head Coach of Central and then take a cheap shot at a Central player while the coach is trying to help him up. 

No bench clearing brawl would have happened if the central kid didn't assault another kid.  This is prob the same age group that had a highly publicized fight with ridgview in football a few yrs back

13 hours ago, UK_Cats_Fan said:

Out of all this, how does it not be a double technical foul. cause only Central received the technical foul and 3 players were ejected which was the right call, but how can  Gate City only have 1 player ejected when you can see the Jenkins kid shove the Head Coach of Central and then take a cheap shot at a Central player while the coach is trying to help him up. 

I can’t 100% verify this but from what I was told the wise players were automatic ejections for leaving the bench.  Unfortunately, it happened right in front of their bench.  

Wyoming East and Westside (Wv) had a brawl at their game a couple nights ago. WVNS news has a clip of it. I can't get it to share. Apparently the school board is considering not allowing the two schools to play each other for a while. If you get a chance to watch, it appears a mom, girlfriend, or significant other dang near face plants on the hardwood trying to save her baby. Worth the watch. 

25 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Tunstall and Martinsville did as well.  The game was ended 12 seconds early after a student section charged the court... not sure which one.  

Love the Martinsville fan in the grey hoodie on the left near the end mocking Tunstall fans when his team lost. 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Love the Martinsville fan in the grey hoodie on the left near the end mocking Tunstall fans when his team lost. 🤷🏻‍♂️

was the bald guy with the tie and tennis shoes the head coach of tunstall,  looked like he got a little excited there lol

Nope that was Jeff Adkins, Martinsville coach. Martinsville grad and played at the University of Maryland back in the early to mid 80's. Very high strung from an early age till now. Learned his theatrics from Martinsville legendary coach Robert "Husky" Hall and Lefty Driesell.

Oh and also this is nothing in comparison to the Martinsville-GW-Danville brawl about 6 to 7 years ago. Fans from both sides came on the court after a ruckus started under the basket on a loose ball. By the time it was over they had Martinsville police dept, Martinsville Sheriff and Henry Co Sheriff and state police responding. Even brought Swat team and vehicle because it spilled over to outside the gym. The Dogs played the next game without fans and ever since they will only let 800 in the gym. 

10 hours ago, pdfan said:

Nope that was Jeff Adkins, Martinsville coach. Martinsville grad and played at the University of Maryland back in the early to mid 80's. Very high strung from an early age till now. Learned his theatrics from Martinsville legendary coach Robert "Husky" Hall and Lefty Driesell.

From the way he was acting, he's very lucky someone didn't clean his clock.

On 1/16/2022 at 3:27 PM, Ryan4VT said:

...believe that was a Bulldog mom performing the always difficult front flip.  Looks like she stuck the landing however giving her team the 6 points needed for the win

Martinsville basketball legend Robert "Husky" Hall passes away at 91 |  Sports News | martinsvillebulletin.com

Shocking as it may seem, the bald guy in tennis shoes (Martinsville's Jeff Adkins) was a phenomenal ball player. As @pdfan mentioned, Adkins went on to star at Maryland. Here is an old, grainy, yet entertaining, video of UNC at Maryland with Jeff Adkins playing with Len Bias and Adrian Branch against Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins, Kenny Smith, Matt Dorherty, Brad Daugherty, Buzz Peterson, etc..

On 1/17/2022 at 8:27 AM, Weatherman said:

From the way he was acting, he's very lucky someone didn't clean his clock.

Looks like he puts his hands all over the Tunstall players. He should focus on his players. Could be wrong. Always thought in brawl situations coaches, players should worry about containing their own players first.

His players were at their bench. If you had of been there you would have seen who the aggressors were. Tunstall coach charged the Dogs bench not to break up anything just to confront people. Then the entire Tunstall team left their bench and joined the fray. Thank goodness we had extra security there to get things under control. I've known Coach Adkins for about 50 years. He coaches with the same passion he played with. He won back to back state chapionshipships at Martinsville in 80-81 then played at Maryland, went to training camp with the Chicago Bulls, then was a assistant at Maryland before he came home to run his family business and coach high school at Carlisle and Martinsville. He's always been very competitive and high strung but he has the best interest of the kids in his heart. Things just escalated very quickly and got out of hand.

Here's the truth and what is alarming to me. It's not the actions of the players or coaches with Dan River and Martinsville that alarmed me. I get it with them. Emotions run high, boys will be boys and a scrap occurs occasionally.  It's happened since mankind's existence.  It's not ok, but let's be real, it happens.

But...........when 1 out of 2 "fans" in the bleachers come on the court, that's alarming, it's sad and it's scary. I didn't see 1 out of 2 fans coming on the court with the GC/Central incident or the clip with Wyoming East.  This tells me, you have a bunch of idiots in the bleachers at the Martinsville/Dan River game. 

The common denominator in all this is the Martinsville fans. They were the vast majority of fans who came on the floor. Tunstall( not Dan River) had a few but not many. The feeling around here now is if one gets into a scrape they'll all come involved. Less than 2 hours after this happened at a restaurant about 2 miles away from the gym there was a shootout between two groups of people, left 2 dead and 3 wounded. Mentality around here is not what it once was, it's never 1 on 1, it's always a group against another group and usually ends with someone getting killed needlessly. It goes all the way down to the youth league basketball games, they have problems there, between parents where I have seen knives pulled on each other and law enforcement being called. Really sad.

1 hour ago, pdfan said:

The common denominator in all this is the Martinsville fans. They were the vast majority of fans who came on the floor. Tunstall( not Dan River) had a few but not many. The feeling around here now is if one gets into a scrape they'll all come involved. Less than 2 hours after this happened at a restaurant about 2 miles away from the gym there was a shootout between two groups of people, left 2 dead and 3 wounded. Mentality around here is not what it once was, it's never 1 on 1, it's always a group against another group and usually ends with someone getting killed needlessly. It goes all the way down to the youth league basketball games, they have problems there, between parents where I have seen knives pulled on each other and law enforcement being called. Really sad.

I hear ya pdfan.  I hope it gets turned around with Martinsville.  It really is sad and the way the world is going is scary.  I know we are just talking about a basketball game fight, but it clearly is more than that.  What's increased in our society is narcissism. It plagues our culture and has just infected every aspect of it from corporations to government to institutions to individual persons.  I don't want to be a debbie downer and would love to be optimistic, but how on earth is that possible when we turn on the news and just watch the senseless evil that apparently, is more than "simply more reported nowadays but was always there."   I don't buy that.  It's MORE abundant that in the past.  Scary actually.  Hopefully they get it fixed in Martinsville as it's one heck of a program and in the state of Virginia, among the best ever size for size.

Bandana, we've had a least 1 state championship in every decade since the 1950's, except for the 90's. Total of 15 state winners. Pretty good for sustained success. The Henry Co area in the 80's was unreal for bball talent. Martinsville with 5, Drewey Mason with 3, GW Carver with 2 and Magna Vista with 1 state championship, pretty good for an area as small as we are.

36 minutes ago, pdfan said:

Bandana, we've had a least 1 state championship in every decade since the 1950's, except for the 90's. Total of 15 state winners. Pretty good for sustained success. The Henry Co area in the 80's was unreal for bball talent. Martinsville with 5, Drewey Mason with 3, GW Carver with 2 and Magna Vista with 1 state championship, pretty good for an area as small as we are.

I'm well aware.  I played against a Husky Hall led team.  Incredibly sound and well coached.  

On 1/20/2022 at 9:33 AM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Here's the truth and what is alarming to me. It's not the actions of the players or coaches with Dan River and Martinsville that alarmed me. I get it with them. Emotions run high, boys will be boys and a scrap occurs occasionally.  It's happened since mankind's existence.  It's not ok, but let's be real, it happens.

But...........when 1 out of 2 "fans" in the bleachers come on the court, that's alarming, it's sad and it's scary. I didn't see 1 out of 2 fans coming on the court with the GC/Central incident or the clip with Wyoming East.  This tells me, you have a bunch of idiots in the bleachers at the Martinsville/Dan River game. 

It wasn't Martinsville and Dan River, it was Martinsville and Tunstall.