Clarke County

SR

D. All-Purpose

Josh

Markley

Poquoson

SR

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Congrats to all our local all-state student-athletes!

Daugherty over Cassius Harris is a colossal joke, but it is what it is.

I agree. It seems they go off stats and how deep you go in the playoffs. Lomax 2nd Team RB? Maybe I have him on a pedestal he shouldn't be on but the kid had crazy numbers only playing 2 quarters for most of the season. He was a beast. I thought for sure Harris would be 1st team.

I have come to the conclusion when the season is over don't look at the awards because you are only going to get frustrated. 

12 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

I agree. It seems they go off stats and how deep you go in the playoffs. Lomax 2nd Team RB? Maybe I have him on a pedestal he shouldn't be on but the kid had crazy numbers only playing 2 quarters for most of the season. He was a beast. I thought for sure Harris would be 1st team.

I have come to the conclusion when the season is over don't look at the awards because you are only going to get frustrated. 

If they are looking at stats how is breaking a VHSL record not get you first team all state!! That honestly blows my mind

11 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

If they are looking at stats how is breaking a VHSL record not get you first team all state!! That honestly blows my mind

Who do you think is a better receiver - Bradshaw or Harris?  

3 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

In my mind, it’s a photo finish.  Bradshaw has incredible raw athleticism and elusiveness, which makes him lethal with any kind of open space.  Harris uses his body and frame extraordinarily well to create separation, and I think he’s a better route runner (crisper, sharper cuts).  They’re perfect compliments to one another, and I’m looking forward to keeping track of them both on FBS rosters in a few years.

6 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

Bradshaw is better.. He is a legit Power 5 guy and I think he will do well at Tech if he keeps his nose clean and focuses on football (not saying he is in trouble a lot that goes for any kid from a small high school going to play college ball) with that being said Harris is pretty good too he not on the level of Bradshaw but when you catch as many balls as he did this year even though he played in a happy system I personally think that is first team material. If I am voting on a all state team and one kid breaks a VHSL record and he is the reason his team even made the playoffs even though they got bounced in the first round, He would get my vote over a more talented kid that was surrounded by great talent and hes team had a great play off run. I think both players should have been first team. 

The Southwest district may have been the most loaded district in the state as far as receiver talent this year. Bradshaw from Graham, Webb from Richlands, Harris from Tazewell, Poku Va high, and Langston from Marion all had great years and and any given year would have been 1st team all region at the very minimum.

3 minutes ago, bluewolf said:

Haha Harris kid inflated numbers 100 catches 1400 yds   12 TDs 

Beavers 58 catches 1100 yds 16 TD 

I didn’t see Richlands or Graham bracket Harris they did Beavers  hmmm

The Beavers kid is a stud for sure and Harris had more opportunities because of the air raid system that Tazewell ran. I still think it is more impressive to catch over 100 balls on shorts routs and making things happen after the catch than using God given speed to just blow past people

4 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

Bradshaw is better.. He is a legit Power 5 guy and I think he will do well at Tech if he keeps his nose clean and focuses on football (not saying he is in trouble a lot that goes for any kid from a small high school going to play college ball) with that being said Harris is pretty good too he not on the level of Bradshaw but when you catch as many balls as he did this year even though he played in a happy system I personally think that is first team material. If I am voting on a all state team and one kid breaks a VHSL record and he is the reason his team even made the playoffs even though they got bounced in the first round, He would get my vote over a more talented kid that was surrounded by great talent and hes team had a great play off run. I think both players should have been first team. 

The Southwest district may have been the most loaded district in the state as far as receiver talent this year. Bradshaw from Graham, Webb from Richlands, Harris from Tazewell, Poku Va high, and Langston from Marion all had great years and and any given year would have been 1st team all region at the very minimum.

I agree that SWD was loaded with WR talent, along with BEAVERS!  Stats do play into it, but also how far your team goes does as well, which shows in the voting!

8 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

I agree that SWD was loaded with WR talent, along with BEAVERS!  Stats do play into it, but also how far your team goes does as well, which shows in the voting!

That is where is disagree in the voting honestly. You have be a great player with great talent round you that make you look a lot better. IMO if you take Bradshaw off of Graham they are still in the region championship game at the very least. Beavers as great as he is still had enough talent around him that Ridgeview is still possibly a 2nd round playoff team, at the very least they still finish 3rd in the M7. If you take Harris off of Tazewell they win 2 games

3 hours ago, bluewolf said:

Haha Harris kid inflated numbers 100 catches 1400 yds   12 TDs 

Beavers 58 catches 1100 yds 16 TD 

I didn’t see Richlands or Graham bracket Harris they did Beavers  hmmm

Richlands almost ended Ridgeview’s season 1 round too early (as is tradition) and Graham blew Ridgeview off the field in the final 3 quarters.  

It’s also much harder to bracket a WR when the base offensive set is 4 WR.  You bracket Harris in a 4 WR set, Creasy’s either running for 20+ yards or you’re leaving Mullins, Mills (who got all-state votes at TE), or McDonald wide open.  You clearly don’t have a grasp on what you’re saying.

Haha evidently you don’t.  Ridgeview was 4 wr sets also.  Nope Richlands lost 3 games to Ridgeview in the last year.   I bet their coaching staff would rather gameplan for Harris than Beavers.  What did Harris do against Graham Bluefield.  He caught 20 passes in a game that was never close.  Great kid and athlete but don’t get on here acting like you know.  Evidently you should go back and actually watch games instead of stats newspaper and internet message boards for info.  Reason lack of bracket defenses didn’t fear Harris or Tazewell’s passing attack. 

3 minutes ago, bluewolf said:

Haha evidently you don’t.  Ridgeview was 4 wr sets also.  Nope Richlands lost 3 games to Ridgeview in the last year.   I bet their coaching staff would rather gameplan for Harris than Beavers.  What did Harris do against Graham Bluefield.  He caught 20 passes in a game that was never close.  Great kid and athlete but don’t get on here acting like you know.  Evidently you should go back and actually watch games instead of stats newspaper and internet message boards for info.  Reason lack of bracket defenses didn’t fear Harris or Tazewell’s passing attack. 

Ridgeview needed what was essentially a furious miracle comeback to escape Richlands in the playoffs this year.  Ridgeview almost blew a quintillion-point lead in the +1 game in Spring 2021.  Let’s not pretend that Ridgeview was winning blowouts against Richlands as standard practice.

I’ve seen a bunch of film.  While Ridgeview ran some 4 WR sets, but that wasn’t the base set.  Tazewell exclusively ran 4 WR and 5 WR sets in their offense.  I can count on one hand the number of times Tazewell ran anything fewer than 4 WRs this season.  

And you want to talk about respect?  Creasy, Harris, and Mills each made an All-Region team.  Harris made 2nd All-2A, and if Honorable Mention were still a thing, Mills would've qualified for that.  Yeah, sounds like a lack of respect for Tazewell’s passing offense.

Usually, I enjoy these sparring matches of wits, but this is like Mike Tyson sparring against a middle schooler.  It’s painful and difficult to continue watching.

32 minutes ago, bluewolf said:

First off no one on here ever said Beavers wasnt a stud because the kid is an amazing high school ball player. Anyone with over 1,000 yard and 10 scores is a great ball player. I would say he is right on par with Harris which is what the all state teams show. 

However.. I only saw one game RV played and they were not is 10 personnel the whole game. They spent probably half of the game is 11 which to UVAs point make it much easier to double your opponents best player because you still have numbers in the box. Harris mostly played in the slot which mean if you try to bracket him you are doing so with a linebacker in his face and safety over top which is nice and all but there isnt a backer in SWVA keeping up with Harris. Beavers I believe play out wide (I could be wrong) but a corner pressed and safety help deep is a lot easier to do than when the guy is 3 yards from the tackle. 

And I am NOT a fan of Tazewell at all but I do respect good scheme and players and if you think there is one DC that was on Tazewell's schedule that sat in Sunday meetings and said "Tazewell's passing attack is trash so we are just gonna load the box to stop the run" then you are nuts man because Tazewell had zero run game this year.  

Go watch their Hudl season highlights and make your own decision.  I think Harris was dinged on not being 1st Team for two reasons:

1) Team wasn’t that good and he didn’t appear to elevate his team or outright get win his team a big win.  Beavers beat Richlands twice…scoring two TDs in last 1:20 to win the play off game.  Bradshaw took over against RV in the playoffs and carried his team to a crucial win.  I’m not sure Cassius had that.

2) TD to catch ratio isn’t good.  He’s scoring once every 10 catches.  (Beavers and Bradshaw were once every 3 catches). I think this is an important stat….maybe others don’t.  This,IMHO, is as vital as a RB’s YPC.  

3) Project Bradshaw and Beavers TD and yards per catch with Harris’ reception total and you get a whole different beast. Just simple math..Beavers would have 31TDs and 2,156 yards.  Bradshaw is a bit harder because I can’t find his consensus season totals.  But you get the point.

Ive watched film on Bradshaw, Beavers, Harris and the Dougherty kid so far.  They are all close….but only Bradshaw and Beavers got special defensive attention week in and week out.  I don’t think I saw Dougherty hardly ever face a double.  

1 hour ago, bluewolf said:

Evidently you should go back and actually watch games instead of stats newspaper and internet message boards for info.  Reason lack of bracket defenses didn’t fear Harris or Tazewell’s passing attack. 

Maybe we could ask the best coach in Virginia if his team feared Tazewell’s passing attack? 

excerpt from the BHC:

….Harris’ final catch was a 3-yard touchdown strike with 39.7 seconds remaining and his longest reception went for 20 yards as Riverheads defenders kept Harris from any major gains.

“Tazewell slings that thing all over the field,” said Riverheads coach Robert Casto. “Against a team like that, the big thing is not to give up a big play.”

For the record I have said all year that Beavers was awesome. You can fact check me on that, so I don’t want this to seem like I’m downing him. I think Bradshaw, Beavers, & Harris are all three different types of receivers that played in different systems so it’s hard to compare them. 

I don’t understand how you can lead the state in receptions and yards and not be first team and not be first team all state. I also don’t understand how you can have 58 catches for 1100 yards, 16 tds and not be first team all state. 

I think we’re bickering over who’s better between the 3 when in my opinion those 3 should’ve all made first team. No offense to the kids from Glenvar or Central but when comparing those 5 the 3 SWVA kids should’ve been on the first team but we should all know better than to think the VHSL would allow that to happen. 

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Ridgeview needed what was essentially a furious miracle comeback to escape Richlands in the playoffs this year.  Ridgeview almost blew a quintillion-point lead in the +1 game in Spring 2021.  Let’s not pretend that Ridgeview was winning blowouts against Richlands as standard practice.

I’ve seen a bunch of film.  While Ridgeview ran some 4 WR sets, but that wasn’t the base set.  Tazewell exclusively ran 4 WR and 5 WR sets in their offense.  I can count on one hand the number of times Tazewell ran anything fewer than 4 WRs this season.  

And you want to talk about respect?  Creasy, Harris, and Mills each made an All-Region team.  Harris made 2nd All-2A, and if Honorable Mention were still a thing, Mills would've qualified for that.  Yeah, sounds like a lack of respect for Tazewell’s passing offense.

Usually, I enjoy these sparring matches of wits, but this is like Mike Tyson sparring against a middle schooler.  It’s painful and difficult to continue watching.

The 4 wide is absolutely RV’s base set.   I’m not even sure I saw two RBs once all season and they don’t have a TE….so…..where they go???  Beavers didn’t even lead RV in receptions…think that was Counts kid.

Also…the miracle needed against Richlands WAS Beavers.. lol.  He had two great TD catches in last 1:30 of the game to win it.  It’s not his fault his coaches absolutely refused to give up running for 0 and 1 yard against Richlands until the game was literally on the line.  The irony here is that Beavers’ numbers would be more other wordly if he played for Harris’s Dad.  Lol.  The RV coaches simply refuse to feed the ball to Beavers.  And I’ll definitely credit the Tazewell coaches for realizing they have an All State WR and scheming ways to get him the ball.  I thought Graham didn’t do a great job off isolating Bradshaw enough….and don’t get me started in RV’s use/misuse of their WR.