2A VHSL ALL-STATE TEAM

EH31

3 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

The 4 wide is absolutely RV’s base set.   I’m not even sure I saw two RBs once all season and they don’t have a TE….so…..where they go???  Beavers didn’t even lead RV in receptions…think that was Counts kid.

Also…the miracle needed against Richlands WAS Beavers.. lol.  He had two great TD catches in last 1:30 of the game to win it.  It’s not his fault his coaches absolutely refused to give up running for 0 and 1 yard against Richlands until the game was literally on the line.  The irony here is that Beavers’ numbers would be more other wordly if he played for Harris’s Dad.  Lol.  The RV coaches simply refuse to feed the ball to Beavers.

Sounds like the Beavers kid would fit right in at the school in Bluefield, VA. Just sayin.........

29 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

First off no one on here ever said Beavers wasnt a stud because the kid is an amazing high school ball player. Anyone with over 1,000 yard and 10 scores is a great ball player. I would say he is right on par with Harris which is what the all state teams show. 

However.. I only saw one game RV played and they were not is 10 personnel the whole game. They spent probably half of the game is 11 which to UVAs point make it much easier to double your opponents best player because you still have numbers in the box. Harris mostly played in the slot which mean if you try to bracket him you are doing so with a linebacker in his face and safety over top which is nice and all but there isnt a backer in SWVA keeping up with Harris. Beavers I believe play out wide (I could be wrong) but a corner pressed and safety help deep is a lot easier to do than when the guy is 3 yards from the tackle. 

And I am NOT a fan of Tazewell at all but I do respect good scheme and players and if you think there is one DC that was on Tazewell's schedule that sat in Sunday meetings and said "Tazewell's passing attack is trash so we are just gonna load the box to stop the run" then you are nuts man because Tazewell had zero run game this year.  

Exactly this!  I rated Beavers as a Top 5 player at his position in the whole of 2A, and that homer takes that as some sort of slight or insult.  Beavers is legitimately good and will be playing on Saturdays somewhere.  Do I think he’s on Bradshaw’s or Harris’s level yet?  No.  But there are only a handful of players in the whole state, across all 6 classifications, who are.  People are crazy!

Tazewell did indeed have no threat of a running game.  Tends to happen when you replace 4 stud linemen, 1 of whom was all-state.  The 1 that did return had an injury pretty early on limited him substantially.  5 underclassmen.  That’ll be better next year.

25 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Exactly this!  I rated Beavers as a Top 5 player at his position in the whole of 2A, and that homer takes that as some sort of slight or insult.  Beavers is legitimately good and will be playing on Saturdays somewhere.  Do I think he’s on Bradshaw’s or Harris’s level yet?  No.  But there are only a handful of players in the whole state, across all 6 classifications, who are.  People are crazy!

Tazewell did indeed have no threat of a running game.  Tends to happen when you replace 4 stud linemen, 1 of whom was all-state.  The 1 that did return had an injury pretty early on limited him substantially.  5 underclassmen.  That’ll be better next year.

I don’t think you watched enough RV football this year.  RV is Tazewell…only with a better defense.  I’m not disagreeing with what you are saying about Tazewell and Harris.  I’m disagreeing with some of your RV observations.  RV didn’t have a running game once teams figured out it was just a basic zone read.  The difference is that Tazewell quickly understood what they were and weren’t and RV never really figured it out.  Both had Fr QBs and average, at best, lines and a stable of kids who can catch the ball. 

If you want to compare Harris to Beavers—-review their common opponents (Richlands, Graham, Central, Bluefield) to see how they played and impacted those games and break down their stats.  If you want an eye test…shit Hudl is out there and will show you everything.

I see two similar WRs but if you see one clearly better than the other, to each his own. I have both of them ahead of Dougherty, but that may be some SWVA homerism.  And if you want to really blow up this board…I think they are better pure WRs than Bradshaw who is more APB and slot.

I will say this, from my time on this board it’s apparent that most SWD fans really don’t know much about any M7 team other than Union.  I’m an old SWD guy (when they had 11 teams in the district)and follow the M7 more now due to relatives that play on some of the M7 teams.  I watch a lot of football from both sides and there is a lot of stereotypes or hot takes that are a bit off.  That’s why I loved the first round playoff format where the two districts played each other.  There is a lot of homerism on here and that’s to be expected.  It’s good to stand for your team but sometimes the truth is the truth and it will usually play out.  I was blasted for saying Central’s D was the best in the M7 and they had the best LB core….both were true and on display when they played Union.  I was blasted for saying the RV QB is the best or seconD best QB in the region right now.  Was told he’s 3rd best in M7 alone. That’s proving itself out.  Just be open minded and freely debate….it’s what keep the board interesting..or else we go back to Graham and Union ping pong topics.  Lol.

I wanted to clip the following to highlight these are both very good WRs and to shine a light on the insane WR talent that was on display in the 2021 season.  The M7 people....let me introduce you to Tazewell's Harris and SWD peeps meet Beavers.  Plus, where are my Richlands people at?  You guys need to teach those defenders to turn their dang heads to play the ball!

http://www.hudl.com/v/2Giytw

Harris vs. Richlands

http://www.hudl.com/v/2G0Bgf

Beavers vs Richlands

http://www.hudl.com/v/2Giz0x

Harris Jr. Season

http://www.hudl.com/v/2G1Cfr

Beavers Jr. Season

8 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I was waiting until the 4th consecutive post to respond.

Well, here you are.  Shit....I thought people would be all about breaking down some film and actually seeing the athletes they speak on.  I'm assuming BluWolf probably hadn't seen Harris' film and what a classic true WR he is and I'm assuming that's the most you've seen Beavers.  We need to throw Bradshaw's film on here as well so everyone can see his skills. Webb, too.   BTW, I love how Tazewell uses Harris....they are more creative than RV.  Additionally, I love the planned back shoulder throws the Creasy kid does......I thought at first they were short,.....but I'm pretty sure that's planned....works great with Harris' length.  I think we should break down the RV QB vs Tazewell QB film as well.  It's all right here.

2 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Well, here you are.  Shit....I thought people would be all about breaking down some film and actually seeing the athletes they speak on.  I'm assuming BluWolf probably hadn't seen Harris' film and what a classic true WR he is and I'm assuming that's the most you've seen Beavers.  We need to throw Bradshaw's film on here as well so everyone can see his skills. Webb, too.   BTW, I love how Tazewell uses Harris....they are more creative than RV.  Additionally, I love the planned back shoulder throws the Creasy kid does......I thought at first they were short,.....but I'm pretty sure that's planned....works great with Harris' length.  I think we should break down the RV QB vs Tazewell QB film as well.  It's all right here.

There were some planned back shoulder throws. You can see one thrown at 0:32 in this clip, not to Harris but to Ethan Mills.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2GJHER

I put Beavers on the level closest to Bradshaw over Harris. Harris a a stud. I think he's a FCS/Small FBS non P5 WR which makes him elite. I think Beavers is FBS level for sure.  He impressed me most in a loss. The loss to Bluefield where he took the game over against Bluefield, and if that game goes another 5 minutes, he likely wills Ridgeview to the win. Bluefield is very fast and Beavers was out jumping them, out running them, out positioning them, out athleting them, and pretty much toyed with the Bluefield secondary. 

Only my opinion like anyone else's opinion.  When all said and done, the QBs for RV and the Dogs will play on Saturday as will Beavers and Harris, and that's stating the obvious. 

19 minutes ago, EH31 said:

There were some planned back shoulder throws. You can see one thrown at 0:32 in this clip, not to Harris but to Ethan Mills.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2GJHER

Unguardable if ran correctly, especially with a 6’2” WR with good hands!  I love it.  I’d like to see RV do this with Beavers as well.  It would be an awesome counter to all the fades they run him on.  It will be fun to watch these two and their QBs next season.

Webb being left out of this convo is pretty bad as well.  Richlands wins  head to head vs Tazewell with Webb catching the long td and rushing for one.  . . Put up over 650 yards  of offense vs Ridgeview in the 3 head to head matches in the 6 month span. Take him off the field and Ridgeview  wins  easily.  Take beavers off the field and it’s a close game either way. Wasn’t used as a Wr in last 3 games of season at all,  and rushed for over 500 yards in those three games.  I would argue his presence was as big and game planning around what position he was lined at was no less than anyone on the list.  Bradshaw is by far biggest game changer , beavers and Harris best pure receivers.  Webb , with his  rushing and return  yards may be the most versatile. After watching all these teams play multiple times . The argument  for any of these players could last forever. All are very gifted and worthy of their accolades. Tazewell was smart to get the ball to Harris and his catches were not all dink  and dunk. He is a physical receiver with great hands.  Beavers was as clutch as anyone and  also has  great hands.  Great news is that some of these guys get to add to their resume next year. 

9 hours ago, tiger2001 said:

Webb being left out of this convo is pretty bad as well.  Richlands wins  head to head vs Tazewell with Webb catching the long td and rushing for one.  . . Put up over 650 yards  of offense vs Ridgeview in the 3 head to head matches in the 6 month span. Take him off the field and Ridgeview  wins  easily.  Take beavers off the field and it’s a close game either way. Wasn’t used as a Wr in last 3 games of season at all,  and rushed for over 500 yards in those three games.  I would argue his presence was as big and game planning around what position he was lined at was no less than anyone on the list.  Bradshaw is by far biggest game changer , beavers and Harris best pure receivers.  Webb , with his  rushing and return  yards may be the most versatile. After watching all these teams play multiple times . The argument  for any of these players could last forever. All are very gifted and worthy of their accolades. Tazewell was smart to get the ball to Harris and his catches were not all dink  and dunk. He is a physical receiver with great hands.  Beavers was as clutch as anyone and  also has  great hands.  Great news is that some of these guys get to add to their resume next year. 

I agree Webb should be in the conversation as well. He may have been just as important to his team success as Harris was for Tazewell. I will say that Richlands was much better up front than Tazewell though. 

If we want to throw another snub in there what about Carson Jenkins. What is Gate City's record with out that kid. I know he wasnt a pure WR because they where about 70% single wing but damn that boy is a pure football player! 2D had some absolute studs this year at the skill positions. We can all look back on the year and be happy that we got to witness all this talent in one place for one season. Plus I really enjoy arguing who is the best of the best this year because there is plenty to choose from!

We’ve been saying this all year.  There may never be another season with this much WR talent in SWVA, ever.  Elite talent.  Harris and Beavers had over 1000 receiving and both come back another year.  Webb, Jenkins and Bradshaw are D-1 and we haven’t MW tioned the two very good WRs for Abingdon and Jenkins from Union!

If Webb, Beavers, and Harris on the same team they would present 3 different sets of issues for defenses. They compliment each other very well. Jenkins from GC is very similar to Webb and gets overlooked due to them being down, he played TB in a Single Wing system this season but I'd like to see him on a team with with a good QB like R/T/Rv/Graham have. 

Imo Bradshaw, Webb, Jenkins(GC), and Mullins  are athletes/Slot Recievers. 

Harris, Beavers, Jenkins(U) are Split Ends/"pure" wide recievers. Can't forget the guys from Abingdon which were pretty doggone good too.

A lot of reciever talent in the region this past season. 

13 minutes ago, redtiger said:

If Webb, Beavers, and Harris on the same team they would present 3 different sets of issues for defenses. They compliment each other very well. Jenkins from GC is very similar to Webb and gets overlooked due to them being down, he played TB in a Single Wing system this season but I'd like to see him on a team with with a good QB like R/T/Rv/Graham have. 

Imo Bradshaw, Webb, Jenkins(GC), and Mullins  are athletes/Slot Recievers. 

Harris, Beavers, Jenkins(U) are Split Ends/"pure" wide recievers. Can't forget the guys from Abingdon which were pretty doggone good too.

A lot of reciever talent in the region this past season. 

could you imagine this starting lineup 

Harris and Beaver out wide

Bradshaw and Webb in the slot

Jenkins (GC) are running back

RV or Tazewell QB ( not that I think it matters)

Meadows and company up front?

We would call it the greatest show in the mountains! scoring 50 a game

3 hours ago, Jags52 said:

So, this is kind of like the John Marshall Basketball equivalent.  

5 hours ago, Jags52 said:

I’d love to see an SWVA all-star team like this play the 6A champs.  That’s an obscene amount of talent.

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I’d love to see an SWVA all-star team like this play the 6A champs.  That’s an obscene amount of talent.

Well, it’s not quite this but I did see where some of these kids are playing on a 7v7 team out of Kingsport.  I recognized a few names: Lomax, Beavers, Jenkins (Union).  Will be interesting to see how they do. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ridgeview Rushed for 1,700 yards as a team and threw for 2500...From what I saw they struggled running against Central Union Graham and Richlands the second time. But 7 on five will allow you to throw the ball.  Tell me a team that ran on those first three all year??

6 hours ago, justwinbaby said:

Ridgeview Rushed for 1,700 yards as a team and threw for 2500...From what I saw they struggled running against Central Union Graham and Richlands the second time. But 7 on five will allow you to throw the ball.  Tell me a team that ran on those first three all year??

Central ran on Union, Abingdon as well. But your point stands, they are all excellent run defenses. 

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Central ran on Union, Abingdon as well. But your point stands, they are all excellent run defenses. 

Graham had over 300 yards rushing on Union In the playoff game.