GC at Union

UnionBears

Looking forward to watching this one. It's on NFHS. I think GC has improved by a lot since game one and I think the Devils are 2 to 4 points better than Ridgeview, and the second best team in 2D. I originally had the Bears 20 points better than the 2nd closest team in 2D. I think GC is within 20 of Union and plays within 15 points when they go back to GC, but at Union tonight, I think the game is right around the 17-22 point margin. 

Only my guess. Looking forward to watching it.

Union doing pretty well against Blue Devils tonight. I’m going out on a limb and say , Bears will be Region D Champs. I don’t think SWD has anyone that could take them at this point. I could be totally wrong , it’s just my humble opinion. 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Union doing pretty well against Blue Devils tonight. I’m going out on a limb and say , Bears will be Region D Champs. I don’t think SWD has anyone that could take them at this point. I could be totally wrong , it’s just my humble opinion. 

I think you are right.  I have the same opinion.  Said it a month ago, the Bears are a good 20 or so points better than the 2nd best team in the Region.  Whether that's Ridgeview, GC, or Graham, it doesn't matter.  None of those three are playing with the Bears.  They are just too good of a team.  I don't think they played that well against GC tonight, but at the same time, the Jessie kid from GC is a much better shooter than what he shot tonight at Union.  Add in the injury for Abingdon, and game two with Union is also a 20 point type win for Union.  

Just my opinion here.  From watching on NFHS, Union is tied for the 3rd best team I've seen in Class 2.  Disclaimer....I have not seen Nelson County, Central-Woodstock, or Glenvar or Va High.  I have seen East Rock, Union, James River, Radford, Nelson County, John Marshall, TJ of Richmond, Martinsville, Dan River, Greensville County, and Ridgeview. 

Best I've seen, in my opinion only, is John Marshall first, second is Greensville County.  I think Greensville County would beat Union.  And third is a tie with Union, East Rock, and James River.  I know JR beat ER and ER beat Union, but those three are all toss ups if they play each other 100 times. The Bears are not losing to Radford or Martinsville.  If they can beat James River, which is a 50-50 game, they are playing for another state championship.  East Rock and Greensville County and TJ Richmond will all be taken care of by John Marshall in the East.

12 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

59-39 Union wins. Any time Union can beat GC by 20 it's a good night. Might be a different game in GC tho.

I said this early in the year.  I think this turns out to be the worst team at GC going back about 26 or so years....have to go back to the 90's.  GC is still perhaps the second best team in the region and it shows just how good they have been.  GC fans would know much more about their records dating back to the mid 90's, but by overall record, winning percentage, I'm betting this GC team has the worst record or lowest win percentage by season's end literally dating back to the 90's.  I have a feeling it may be very accurate because when I posted this earlier, not one GC fan argued it.  GC is barely going to finish with a winning overall record this year.  I got GC, by looking at their schedule, going 9 wins and 10 losses when NOT counting the Ridgeview contests.  If they beat RV twice, they go 11 and 10ish, if they split with RV, they go 10 and 11ish.  GC may actually finish the regular season with a below 500 record.  It's been a LONG time since that happened.  I don't think it's happened in this century, but can't be sure.  GC fans would know that stuff.

GC just hasn’t been able to score since Dean left 2 yrs ago. Union won the JV game in a blowout as well, GC may have upper hand next season with McMurray but long term it appears this rivalry has flipped. The Bears have won 4 in a row in the series. 

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I think you are right.  I have the same opinion.  Said it a month ago, the Bears are a good 20 or so points better than the 2nd best team in the Region.  Whether that's Ridgeview, GC, or Graham, it doesn't matter.  None of those three are playing with the Bears.  They are just too good of a team.  I don't think they played that well against GC tonight, but at the same time, the Jessie kid from GC is a much better shooter than what he shot tonight at Union.  Add in the injury for Abingdon, and game two with Union is also a 20 point type win for Union.  

Just my opinion here.  From watching on NFHS, Union is tied for the 3rd best team I've seen in Class 2.  Disclaimer....I have not seen Nelson County, Central-Woodstock, or Glenvar or Va High.  I have seen East Rock, Union, James River, Radford, Nelson County, John Marshall, TJ of Richmond, Martinsville, Dan River, Greensville County, and Ridgeview. 

Best I've seen, in my opinion only, is John Marshall first, second is Greensville County.  I think Greensville County would beat Union.  And third is a tie with Union, East Rock, and James River.  I know JR beat ER and ER beat Union, but those three are all toss ups if they play each other 100 times. The Bears are not losing to Radford or Martinsville.  If they can beat James River, which is a 50-50 game, they are playing for another state championship.  East Rock and Greensville County and TJ Richmond will all be taken care of by John Marshall in the East.

No love for Floyd County? A lot of folks think they're the best in 2C and can beat Union. I haven't seen them play so IDK.

3 minutes ago, UnionBears said:

GC just hasn’t been able to score since Dean left 2 yrs ago. Union won the JV game in a blowout as well, GC may have upper hand next season with McMurray but long term it appears this rivalry has flipped. The Bears have won 4 in a row in the series.

When was last time a SWVA team beat GC four straight times? 25+ years ago?

18 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

No love for Floyd County? A lot of folks think they're the best in 2C and can beat Union. I haven't seen them play so IDK.

I seen Floyd play Radford.  I just wasn't that impressed.  I think both of them are better than Graham, Gate City, and Ridgeview, but I just don't see em playing with Union.  I know Radford beat James River the other night and Radford supposebly had a big one with Glenvar tonight.  I think Radford and James River represent that region, but could be wrong.  Martinsville, Floyd, Glenvar all good.  5 teams in that Region that are pretty close.  JM lost by 13 to Radford the other night which is a shocker, but hard to know about Covid, injuries, stuff like that.  If I'm a Union fan, I'm liking my chances to play for a state championship.  Now, as far as winning it......well, that's another issue, but it's not just as issue for Union, it could probably be an issue for any other team in Virginia, Class 1 through 6.  JM would compete, be right in the mix for a Class 6 state title if they played in Class 6.  We talk a bunch in football about Riverheads and what if they played up, etc.  In the case of John Marshall, I don't think it's speculation.  They would compete and arguably be favored, even in Class 6.

28 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

When was last time a SWVA team beat GC four straight times? 25+ years ago?

I hope some of the GC fans chime in here.  I'm curious to know that as well.  Union may not be the first team to do it this year though, as GC plays Abingdon in game two before the game 2 with Union, and I think Abingdon won both last year over GC and of course, they won the first one this year.  With the Abingdon injury, game 2 with GC is a toss up game.