Union, Abington, or Ridgeview?

footballsmartie04

Some people may think Union is the best team in M7, and that is a reasonable take. Abington and Ridgeview also have as good as a opportunity to go far this season, Ridgeview played both teams this week and lost but I thought they just didn't play how they should've, they play like they're on 2k. Lots of athletes. Abington has a 7 footer hurt, best player is Osborne in the post, other than that they are nothing. Union has Bunch who shoots 50 shots a game, Jenkins cannot shoot, Jordan has no mobility and can only shoot in place. What do you all think?

19 minutes ago, footballsmartie04 said:

Some people may think Union is the best team in M7, and that is a reasonable take. Abingdon and Ridgeview also have as good as a opportunity to go far this season, Ridgeview played both teams this week and lost but I thought they just didn't play how they should've, they play like they're on 2k. Lots of athletes. Abington has a 7 footer hurt, best player is Osborne in the post, other than that they are nothing. Union has Bunch who shoots 50 shots a game, Jenkins cannot shoot, Jordan has no mobility and can only shoot in place. What do you all think?

Sorry, but the "t" bugs me.  It's weird, everybody pronounces it "Abington", but it's "Abingdon".  But I think Union is 10 points better then both.  It's possible they could sneak up and beat Union if Bunch has a bad day, but I don't see it happening.

Said it earlier in year, Union is 20 points better than the second best team in Region D, whether that's Graham, RV, or Gate City, and all three have a grand total of ZERO chance to beat them no matter how bad Union plays. As for Abingdon, Union was 8 to 10 points better than them before the injury for Abingdon. When counting injury, Union is now 15-18 better than Abingdon.

I'm rooting for Swva in hoops. I would like to see Union cut the nets down again and if not Union, then Radford.  As for all of Region 2D, other than Union, there is not one team that is in the top 10-11 teams in the State this year. Graham, GC, RV- there are at Least 10 other schools in Virginia better than all 3 of them this year. It's the weakest I've seen 2D in over 22 years. Just in Region C, Radford, Floyd, Martinsville, James River, Glenvar (5 teams) are all better than Graham, GC, and RV, and possibly, Nelson County and Dan River would be toss up games with those 3. 2D will turn it around next year. This is just a down year.

I think BigW or UVAObserver talked about how down Region 1D was in football this year from early on.  I think it applies to 2D in hoops this year, outside of Union of course.  It's just a down year and I think the reason its down is shooting.  There are lots of kids on teams that are very quick and fast, speedy with great athleticism, but knocking down a jump shot is just not there.  So many teams in the Region, even Gate City, when wide open, just shoot the ball at an incredible low percentage.  With the speed on Graham's team, they pretty much get open looks all game long, and when those jump shots occur, the ball just doesn't go in the basket at high enough of a percentage to be considered a good team.  Same with RV, Richlands, Va High, Gate City.  

The above are just my opinions, not saying it's gospel.  Some may feel that 2D is not as down as I'm making it out to be, so I respect that take as well.  I'm just giving my view from watching a bunch this winter. 

2 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Sorry, but the "t" bugs me.  It's weird, everybody pronounces it "Abington", but it's "Abingdon".  But I think Union is 10 points better then both.  It's possible they could sneak up and beat Union if Bunch has a bad day, but I don't see it happening.

I used to work in a gas station off of exit 19 about 15 years ago.  I had a customer from Pennsylvania come in one night and ask me... "Is this town really called A Big Dong?"  He was dead serious.  I laughed my hind end off.

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

Union beat every M7 team so far by 20+, even the vaunted RV team some.said could make a deep run. 

A grand total of ZERO chances any team west of Radford, VA, in Class 1, 2, or 3 is making a deep run, other than Union of course.  Another thing, the 2 seed or whatever it's called, the 2nd best team in Class 2, Region D, that plays against the 1 seed or top ranked team in Class 2, Region C in the playoffs has a grand total of ZERO chances to win that game.  It will be a sure one and done for the 2nd placed team in Region D (whichever team makes the state playoffs-makes it out of the region with Union).  That team will be either Gate City, Va High, Graham, or Ridgeview.  I think GC is slighty, by just enough, that second best team in Class 2, Region D behind Union, but whoever it is, Radford, James River, etc, they will win that game by 20 points.  We kind of got a glimpse of that with Radford and Va High last night.  Va High is right up there, close with Graham, RV, GC as the 2nd best team in Region D and they just lost by 20 last night to Radford on their home floor.  Martinsville is probably the 4th best team in Region C behind James River, Radford, and Glenvar, and they beat Graham by 8 on the road. 

In Class 1D, whether it's Rye Cove, Twin Springs, Eastside, Lebanon, John Battle, etc, whoever is the 2nd seeded team will play Parry McCluer which is a 25 point loss in game one, and whoever is the 1st/top seeded team will not be favored over the 2nd ranked 1C team which will likely be Altavista.  

In Class 3, Abingdon will not get out of the region.  Will not advance to state level without a healthy Ramsey.  

Just a down year west of Radford, VA, in Basketball.  It will turn around.  There's always dry spells.  

On 1/21/2022 at 1:21 PM, footballsmartie04 said:

Some people may think Union is the best team in M7, and that is a reasonable take. Abington and Ridgeview also have as good as a opportunity to go far this season, Ridgeview played both teams this week and lost but I thought they just didn't play how they should've, they play like they're on 2k. Lots of athletes. Abington has a 7 footer hurt, best player is Osborne in the post, other than that they are nothing. Union has Bunch who shoots 50 shots a game, Jenkins cannot shoot, Jordan has no mobility and can only shoot in place. What do you all think?

If I had Bunch he'd be shooting 60 times a game for me too.  But Bunch isn't all they have Bartee is a good player and Jenkins can't shoot but does everything else good

13 hours ago, goose111874 said:

If I had Bunch he'd be shooting 60 times a game for me too.  But Bunch isn't all they have Bartee is a good player and Jenkins can't shoot but does everything else good

Bunch does carry most of the scoring load but Jordan can hit open shots, Honeycutt is getting back into his groove, Jenkins is the ultimate Swiss army knife and Bartee is as good of an on ball defender as you'll see around here. Dude clearly has a RV bias, they lost to Abingdon without Ramsey by 20 and then Union by 20 and somehow they are still a threat to win M7. It's not even possible at this point I don't think. Union has no M7 losses, AHS just one, RV has two and hasn't played GC yet.

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Bunch does carry most of the scoring load but Jordan can hit open shots, Honeycutt is getting back into his groove, Jenkins is the ultimate Swiss army knife and Bartee is as good of an on ball defender as you'll see around here. Dude clearly has a RV bias, they lost to Abingdon without Ramsey by 20 and then Union by 20 and somehow they are still a threat to win M7. It's not even possible at this point I don't think. Union has no M7 losses, AHS just one, RV has two and hasn't played GC yet.

Abingdon now with 2 losses. One to Union and one to GC. I think GC wins both games with RV. I didn't think so in December, but GC has improved a bunch. Nowhere in the same league as Union, but enough to make it within 16-18 points when Union comes back to GC.

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Abingdon-RV game was competitive as it wound up being 8 point game in the end but RV was within 1 point in the 4th.  However, with Ramsey it wouldn’t have been close.  Definite bias from the previous poster but RV is having their most successful season to date.   I’m a realist though and my opinion is RV is no better than 4th best M7 team.

1 hour ago, Pack Nation said:

Abingdon-RV game was competitive as it wound up being 8 point game in the end but RV was within 1 point in the 4th.  However, with Ramsey it wouldn’t have been close.  Definite bias from the previous poster but RV is having their most successful season to date.   I’m a realist though and my opinion is RV is no better than 4th best M7 team.

RV isn't bad at all, I'm not saying that at all. They're a tough team with good athletes they just lack scoring from some guys.I think they could absolutely beat GC on a good night but they'll need to play pretty well. 

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Abingdon now with 2 losses. One to Union and one to GC. I think GC wins both games with RV. I didn't think so in December, but GC has improved a bunch. Nowhere in the same league as Union, but enough to make it within 16-18 points when Union comes back to GC.

GC is a tough team, it wouldn't shock me to see them play Union extremely tough in GC.