Good games on NFHS, the Dots of Poca, East Rock, Radford, Graham

BandanaVTDavis4321

This evening according to NFHS. 

Radford plays VH in Bristol

Graham plays the Poca Dots in Bristol, the Dots are WVs number one ranked AA team.

Abingdon plays GC-not part of the tournament in Bristol, just an individual game.

Tomorrow in Bristol

Abingdon plays Sullivan East

Radford plays Graham

Poca plays East Rockingham and UNC Tarheel bound Tyler Nickel in Bristol

All of these games are listed as being on NFHS.  I'm just going by NFHS. I don't know about schedule changes, Covid, weather, etc. 

I saw Chapmanville in person earlier this year in Kingsport at the Alpha Invitational.  I think they're the ones who beat Poca last year.  Not sure how good Poca is, but they'll be hard pressed to beat Chapmanville again this year.  Chapmanville looked real good, took current TSSAA 4A #2 Morristown East down to the wire and also played Greeneville good as well.

33 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I saw Chapmanville in person earlier this year in Kingsport at the Alpha Invitational.  I think they're the ones who beat Poca last year.  Not sure how good Poca is, but they'll be hard pressed to beat Chapmanville again this year.  Chapmanville looked real good, took current TSSAA 4A #2 Morristown East down to the wire and also played Greeneville good as well.

Chapmansville was the WV runner up in 2017, won the title in 18 and 2019.  In 2020, the final stages of the WV playoffs were cancelled due to Covid.  Champanville would have likely had the three-peat over the Bluefield Beavers.  The Beavers were likely the second best team in the state in 2019-20 as they finished 24-3 and lost to Champanville in regular season by 10 points, but the Beavers were far improved by season's end, and the game wtih Champansville would have been a close one, but favoring Champanville.  Last year, in the 2021 playoffs, Champansville lost in the state-semi's to Williamstown 55-40 as Champanville lost a lot of talent from their previous 3 teams and Williamstown went on to beat Poca 50-47 in the state championship this past spring.  Champanville is still pretty good, but Poca returns most of their team from last year and will be the favorite.  The Beavers of Bluefield are also very good and will likely be a final four AA team in WV this year. St. Mary's, Champanville, Williamstown all three in the mix this year in WV AA, but Poca is the favorite with what they return.

Poca has senior Isaac McKneely, one of the top shooting guards in the country, a 4 star player who will likely be the WV POY and is a top 100 overall recruit and UVA commit.  The G-Men seem to like leaving him wide open.  Kind of head scratching.  Tomorrow afternoon in Bristol, the Dots of Poca will play East Rockingham, and this game will feature UNC bound Tyler Nickel, another top 100 player and 4 star prospect against Isaac McKneely (UVA Commit) and his Dots of Poca. 

13 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

It also appears that David Graves is not playing for Graham tonight.

Graves loss hurts.  Graham just can't score.  Graves a big part of that, but if you can't consistently hit an outside jumpshot with any kind of regularity, you just don't have much of a chance.  I think Va High and Graham will be a close game.

Final Scores Tonight

Radford Beats Va High by 20 points.  This game was a bit closer than the score and VH kept it fairly close for 3 and 1/2 quarters.  It felt more like a 13 to 15 point win.  

Poca beats Graham by 30 points.  Graham without Graves.  Poca is impressive.  It's hard to gauge Graham because Graves is the offense, but even with Graves, I think Va High and Graham is a game within 6 points either way.  Va High can beat Graham.  Not saying they will, but it will be close.  

Gate City and Abingdon.  Abingdon up by 1 point on GC at the Half.  Abingdon without the big man and it's showing, and as expected without the Big man, it's a tight 50-50 tight game.

With the game even up with about 5 minutes left in the contest, Abingdon falls completely apart.  Gate City wins the game by 6 points and led by 10 with one minute left.  Abingdon is a completely different team without the big man inside.  The majority of GC's points did Not come from outside the paint or arch, but they came within 3 feet of the rim.  The Big man would have changed most of those shots inside the paint for GC if he were on the court for the Falcons.  But, you play with who you play with, and credit GC for the win.

16 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Chapmanville had several "recruits" during their championship run...they are using "hometown" boys now...

11 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

With the game even up with about 5 minutes left in the contest, Abingdon falls completely apart.  Gate City wins the game by 6 points and led by 10 with one minute left.  Abingdon is a completely different team without the big man inside.  The majority of GC's points did Not come from outside the paint or arch, but they came within 3 feet of the rim.  The Big man would have changed most of those shots inside the paint for GC if he were on the court for the Falcons.  But, you play with who you play with, and credit GC for the win.

A little foul trouble factored in at the end for Abingdon.  2 guys with 4 fouls and coach tried to sub for small stretches but it cost on a couple occasions.  Osborne is doing well scoring around the bucket.  Need to cut down turnovers and improve on the perimeter.  Definitely miss Ramsey’s presence.  Not so much for his offense as much as his ability to limit teams offense around the paint.  I still think it’s sad that he isn’t even on the bench with his team.  That says a lot.

Osborne is one heck of a player for Abingdon.  He can score easily in a half court set, in transitiion, and one on one, he can create his own shot.  I agree on Ramsey, he's more than helpful on offense, but defensively, he creates so many problems around the rim for opponents and changes tons of shots.  Additionally, he's helpful with one shot and you miss, and Abingdon has the rebound.  Huge loss.

Today at 5:30pm, Graham vs Radford in Bristol on Va High's home floor and this game is on NFHS.

Tonight at 8:00 pm on the same floor following Graham and Radford is East Rockingham vs Poca.   With the "Orange V's" all over the court there at Virginia High, I'm pretty certain McKneely for Poca (UVA commit) feels pretty dang comfortable.  Kind of like a mini preview court of what he's about to be playing on the next few years in Charlottesville.  Poca likely has not one, but 2 Div 1 players on the court.  Senior Jackson Toney is a 6'3 shooting guard/wing player that is a deadly shooter.  He led them in scoring against Graham and is likely small Div 1/mid-major conference such as Radford, Elon, ODU, Marshall, etc.  

I'm glad both of these games are watchable on my laptop while the playoffs are on the TV screen.

Final- Abingdon Stuns Sullivant East:  Abingdon 67 Sullivan East 60

Saturday evening 1/22/2022, the Falcons win this one because they played their a**es off.  Those kids were getting on the floor, diving for balls and busting up chairs nearby, and Osborne was incredible.  Might be the best pure shooter west of Roanoke, and that includes the Radford players.  Hats off to Abingdon as those kids played like champions, played freakin possessed today.  Huge win for Abingdon.

Sullivan East early in the year, they beat Abingdon by 21 points and beat Gate City by 17 points and they only lost to Union by 2 points according to Maxpreps Scores.  This is one heck of a turnaround and one heck of a win for Abingdon to get this W without Ramsey in the lineup at Center.  Osborne just took the game over.

The Poca vs East Rock game was today at 2:30pm, not tonight at 8 pm.  It was played today before Abingdon vs Sullivan East.

Poca beat East Rock by a score of 52-45.  Nickel, the UNC Commit for East Rock had 26 points and 5 rebounds.  McKneely, the UVA Commit for Poca had 27 points and 7 rebounds.

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Those kids were getting on the floor, diving for balls and busting up chairs nearby, and Osborne was incredible.  Might be the best pure shooter west of Roanoke, 

The hyperbole is as strong as your drink today apparently.

3 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

The hyperbole is as strong as your drink today apparently.

Getting on the Floor-Fact.  Diving For Balls- Fact, Busting up chairs nearby-hyperbole-as it was intended to be.  Might the best pure shooter west of Roanoke-opinion, but I'm sticking with it.  I haven't seen a better pure shooter in High School Hoops west of Roanoke this year compared to Osborne.  Did I write best player?  Nope.  Best scorer?  Nope.  Best pure shooter?  Yep, I'm sticking with it.  Kid is lights out, and if you are going to pick a better pure shooter, do not pick from Union, Radford, Gate City, Graham, Richlands, Ridgeview, Va High or Glenvar.  I've seen them, and not one person on their team's is a better shooter, so better pick from somewhere else like Eastside, Twin Springs, Rye Cove, etc.