Tazewell fall schedule

THS6805

37 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Give me an example.

My only guess would be exact same or similar schedule of teams played today, but road conditions different. For example,  a trip as simple as Rocky Gap vs Bland (if both were still separate schools) today is a whole other ballgame before 1-77. George Wythe vs Grayson. Traveling the squiggly back road through Fries instead of 77 to 58. 460 wasn't even 4 lane way back in the day, for example, Graham vs VH or John Battle a whole other ballgame way back when. It wouldn't add an hour to the trip, but it would add more time. 

Route 52 with Gary, Northfork, all the way to Williamson, that was all a narrow 2 lane road at one time. So, my guess would not necessarily be major schedule changes to longer distances, but just simple road conditions and the time before route 58, 460, route 52 were wider than now, then the addition of I77 and I81, and think of the bypasses that are through towns that didn't exist back then. 

Just now, Bluebird said:

There were times when teams would travel to Fredericksburg, Richmond or Suffolk for a regular season game.  I bet bussed are better than they were back then. 

Who? Give me an example.

Jefferson Roanoke had away games in 1930 Newport News 1931 Portsmouth and 1932 Norfolk.  

Clifton Forge 1934 away Fredericksburg 

You can look at fourseasons.com to see.

You are right I could not find anything from Virginia High or Big Stone Gap except for playoffs. 

35 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Jefferson Roanoke had away games in 1930 Newport News 1931 Portsmouth and 1932 Norfolk.  

You are right I could not find anything from Virginia High or Big Stone Gap except for playoffs. 

Railroad towns taking railroad trips. The Clifton Forge trip was a one timer. Roanoke Jefferson was one of the biggest schools in the state taking railroad trips on the N & W to major schools along the rails. Not that railroad is a day in the park but it wasn't a bad trip back in the day. Much easier than bus or van. Bluefield used to take train trips to Huntington, Williamson, Roanoke and other towns along the rail lines. Just pulling one example. In 2015 Bluefield played Mingo Central in a playoff game. It took Mingo longer to get to Bluefield in 2015 than it did in the 1930's on the train.

6 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Teams use to travel a lot further back in the 1930s and 1940s with worse conditions. 

6 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Give me an example.

5 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Who? Give me an example.

Mr. Reseacher, the so called experts, that is the “in their mind experts” that post on this site can’t.  They just can’t do it.   

4 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Railroad towns taking railroad trips. The Clifton Forge trip was a one timer. Roanoke Jefferson was one of the biggest schools in the state taking railroad trips on the N & W to major schools along the rails. Not that railroad is a day in the park but it wasn't a bad trip back in the day. Much easier than bus or van. Bluefield used to take train trips to Huntington, Williamson, Roanoke and other towns along the rail lines. Just pulling one example. In 2015 Bluefield played Mingo Central in a playoff game. It took Mingo longer to get to Bluefield in 2015 than it did in the 1930's on the train.

Nothing like the original comparison of trips to Tidewater and other inter-regional matchups, but I do wonder about the nature of Pearisburg's trip to Richlands in late October of 1935.  Guessing that may have been at least partially accomplished by train.

14 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Just as an FYI, he runs fourseasonsfootball.com, so you’re telling him to go look at his own research. Not being a smartass, just letting you know in case you didn’t already know. 

6 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Ryan I was answering his question that he asked.  So I was not doing anything wrong.  You need to be careful of what you write.   

Bluebird, there was a grand total of Zero times that you were accused of doing anything wrong. Ryan pointed out that BR is the founder of fourseasons football. By graciously pointing that out, why on earth would Ryan "need to be careful" about what he writes? The appropriate social response that should have came from your fingers would be one showing gratitude or thanks, not a scolding of Ryan being "careful about what he writes."

2 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Ryan I was answering his question that he asked.  So I was not doing anything wrong.  You need to be careful of what you write.   

Umm, okay? I was legit trying to help you out, but I get the hint. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I wonder what the trip was like for Cherokee NC when they played at Gate City in 1939? That's really the longest one I can think of for then. I don't think Gate City returned the favor