Tazewell fall schedule

THS6805

15 hours ago, Jason said:

I wonder what the trip was like for Cherokee NC when they played at Gate City in 1939? That's really the longest one I can think of for then. I don't think Gate City returned the favor 

Probably the little things lost in history.. Field trip for the Cherokee bunch in 1939 who could have had a coach or principal with ties to the area or big to fans of the Carter Family. They were like rock stars then and at the height of their national prominence with people coming from all over to get a glimpse of them in the Bristol area when not on tour.

The above is just a guess, but I do know the Carter Family brought a lot of visitors to the area in the mid to late 30s after the depression had ended and people had money to travel. 

7 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Probably the little things lost in history.. Field trip for the Cherokee bunch in 1939 who could have had a coach or principal with ties to the area or big to fans of the Carter Family. They were like rock stars then and at the height of their national prominence with people coming from all over to get a glimpse of them in the Bristol area when not on tour.

The above is just a guess, but I do know the Carter Family brought a lot of visitors to the area in the mid to late 30s after the depression had ended and people had money to travel. 

Coach Smith for Gate City had an awesome website for Gate City Football. There was even a news article that covered that game. It was short and to the point if I remember correctly. After he passed away the website just disappeared. All his hard work just gone. All that history vanished. 

3 hours ago, EH31 said:

Inside info? 👀 

I'm banking on the logistics of this being reconsidered.  I think there are other teams close by that are looking for a game and this deal with Keyser was never set in stone from what I hear.  Plus, I really want a frosty.  I just have my doubts about traveling that far for a game that is not really that beneficial for either team.   

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Coach Smith for Gate City had an awesome website for Gate City Football. There was even a news article that covered that game. It was short and to the point if I remember correctly. After he passed away the website just disappeared. All his hard work just gone. All that history vanished. 

His site was actually one of the main inspirations for four seasons. I discovered his site and wanted to ask some questions. I didn't know whose site it was but it had a phone number so I called. A nice lady answered and explained that the owner had recently passed. Talk about feeling small. But I downloaded his Gate City Spreadsheet and I still have it. The spreadsheet was available for a while on the Gate City High School web page but I didn't see it the last time that I looked.

6 hours ago, Tru Blue 72 said:

Richlands traveled to Halifax County I believe in '71 or '72 for a regular season game if I'm not mistaking.  That seemed like a long trip on a school bus.

They played Halifax in 1968 and 1969.  The previous two years they played Harrisonburg.

The Southwest District played at the highest level of competition within Virginia from its inception in 1956 until the classification overhaul by the VHSL in 1970.  Eligibility for postseason honors had a requirement of playing a certain number of other schools at the Division 1 level (I think that was what it was called).  Since that number was beyond the membership of the SWD, a lot of SWD schools scheduled regular series against the Roanoke schools and E.C. Glass for most of the 1960s.  In the later portion of that decade there was usually a playoff between the SWD and the Western District (centered in the Roanoke area) that was also included.  That created something of a scramble to find the minimum number of opponents to meet the postseason eligibility requirement which led to some odd intersectional matchups in the final years of the old classification system.

3 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

They played Halifax in 1968 and 1969.  The previous two years they played Harrisonburg.

The Southwest District played at the highest level of competition within Virginia from its inception in 1956 until the classification overhaul by the VHSL in 1970.  Eligibility for postseason honors had a requirement of playing a certain number of other schools at the Division 1 level (I think that was what it was called).  Since that number was beyond the membership of the SWD, a lot of SWD schools scheduled regular series against the Roanoke schools and E.C. Glass for most of the 1960s.  In the later portion of that decade there was usually a playoff between the SWD and the Western District (centered in the Roanoke area) that was also included.  That created a scramble to find the minimum number of opponents to meet the postseason eligibility requirement which led to some odd intersectional matchups in the final years of the old classification system.

I can only imagine the bitching we'd hear from parents if a trip to Harrisonburg or Lynchburg was on the regular-season docket. 

I remember one year in the 80s when the Mighty Machine of Hampton High, and Mike Smiths Crabbers play in the Pulaski Gridorama. I can't recall the opponent, maybe Cave Spring who came out and got 2 first downs on Hampton, then a timeout was called by Smith and extreme as#  chewing could be heard from the bleachers. As play started to resume, the Hampton players started popping their pads, getting fired up, and I don't think Cave Spring gained another yard in that scrimmage. Even in my youth, I knew about Hampton and thought that was one of the most badas$ things to me, getting to watch Hampton High, and equally important, Hampton High coming to SWVA.  That was my first lesson ever regarding the importance of speed as it relates to football. For my youthful eyes, I had never seen anything like that yet at the High School Level. For me, something as simple and non important as a scrimmage was one of my better youthful football memories.  It was a gigantic moment at the time, for me in my youth. 

12 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

I can only imagine the bitching we'd hear from parents if a trip to Harrisonburg or Lynchburg was on the regular-season docket. 

When the SWD broke up in 1986 there was something of a scramble to fill non-district schedules again and Richlands wound up scheduling home and home series against a couple of Roanoke area schools (Northside and Lord Botetourt).  There were some raised eyebrows but I don't remember a lot of outright complaining about it.  Several families (including mine) made something of a getaway out of the trip for the Northside game -- which coincided with Labor Day weekend.

A lot of Liberty-Bedford teams schedule a geographic outlier as part of their non-district schedule.  But then again Bedford is pretty centrally located and you can hit a lot of interesting options within a 2-3 hour drive of here.

Probably not much benefit to Richlands to venture very broadly now unless they absolutely had to.  But that has been the case at various times in the school's football playing history.

Another fun fact related to the Richlands-Harrisonburg series from the 1960s....  As recently as about ten years ago the game ball from Harrisonburg's 20-18 victory over Richlands in 1967 was still displayed in the primary trophy case of Harrisonburg High School.  I have no idea why that particular game is so significant to the folks up in the valley but it jumped out at me when I saw it.

17 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

His site was actually one of the main inspirations for four seasons. I discovered his site and wanted to ask some questions. I didn't know whose site it was but it had a phone number so I called. A nice lady answered and explained that the owner had recently passed. Talk about feeling small. But I downloaded his Gate City Spreadsheet and I still have it. The spreadsheet was available for a while on the Gate City High School web page but I didn't see it the last time that I looked.

I used to love reading the articles from the older games. I'm glad you was able to download it and love your site. 

On 2/9/2022 at 4:57 PM, Real Sasquatch said:

I'm banking on the logistics of this being reconsidered.  I think there are other teams close by that are looking for a game and this deal with Keyser was never set in stone from what I hear.  Plus, I really want a frosty.  I just have my doubts about traveling that far for a game that is not really that beneficial for either team.   

What if they played halfway at a neutral site? 

On 2/9/2022 at 4:57 PM, Real Sasquatch said:

I hope they don’t play Keyser personally but I can tell you that each team within a 2-3 hour radius that has an open week on either week 3 or week 11 has been contacted but no one has returned a call or have been willing to play for whatever reason. Keyser seemed to be more than willing to play, with their coach even saying that there is a home and home series agreed upon (which is unconfirmed) and Keyser would travel to Tazewell in 2023. I’ll link the article below. 

https://amp.newstribune.info/amp/6603685001

13 minutes ago, EH31 said:

I hope they don’t play Keyser personally but I can tell you that each team within a 2-3 hour radius that has an open week on either week 3 or week 11 has been contacted but no one has returned a call or have been willing to play for whatever reason. Keyser seemed to be more than willing to play, with their coach even saying that there is a home and home series agreed upon (which is unconfirmed) and Keyser would travel to Tazewell in 2023. I’ll link the article below. 

https://amp.newstribune.info/amp/6603685001

Yes.  I heard that Keyser had released a schedule, but I still don't see it happening.  Tazewell will find another opponent and that game will never happen.

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Yes.  I heard that Keyser had released a schedule, but I still don't see it happening.  Tazewell will find another opponent and that game will never happen.

Hope so.

On 2/9/2022 at 7:04 PM, RichlandsAlum said:

The Southwest District played at the highest level of competition within Virginia from its inception in 1956 until the classification overhaul by the VHSL in 1970.  Eligibility for postseason honors had a requirement of playing a certain number of other schools at the Division 1 level (I think that was what it was called).  Since that number was beyond the membership of the SWD, a lot of SWD schools scheduled regular series against the Roanoke schools and E.C. Glass for most of the 1960s.  In the later portion of that decade there was usually a playoff between the SWD and the Western District (centered in the Roanoke area) that was also included.  That created something of a scramble to find the minimum number of opponents to meet the postseason eligibility requirement which led to some odd intersectional matchups in the final years of the old classification system.

Thanks for the information, but I do remember the trip to Halifax being a long ride, and I do remember RHS playing E.C.Glass in Roanoke back in the day.  It's amasimng how things have changed through the years.

On 2/12/2022 at 1:51 AM, ghos88t said:

Hey Stu Bean, Uncle Percy and Cousin Hoyt want you to give us an update on Tazewell’s football schedule. Tooooo many Mamby Pamby experts on here.

All I will say is will just wait and see what happens.  I love away games but dang, going to Riverheads and Keyser, WV.  Couple of long trips.