Tazewell fall schedule

THS6805

3 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I would give up trying if the said school East in Virginia doesn't work out. I would simply drive the 6 hours, because at this point, it appears over 6 hours of work might have been put in trying to reschedule. 6 hours is a long trip, but we aren't talking about Western Kansas with horses and buggies. It's a 1 time thing. 

I wish all schools would consider 1 long road game per year. It exposes the kids to somewhere different, makes for interesting matchups and could be fun.  Only my opinion.

Tazewell County still has mostly diesel buses and they are paying a fortune right now for fuel.  I'm sure it will have an effect on field trips / Road trips for games for next season etc... if the gas prices don't go back down by the end of the summer.  If the high gas prices continue into the fall and winter, I can see having more quads for basketball with all teams going on one bus.  Wouldn't be surprised to see some of the more rural counties go to a 3 or 4 day week for middle and high schools with a virtual day or 2 or something like that during the week.  Hopefully, it won't come to that.  But rural schools don't have limitless budgets.  I'm hoping Tazewell County lands some of the proposed money from the state to improve the school buildings.  

On 2/9/2022 at 10:47 PM, RichlandsAlum said:

When the SWD broke up in 1986 there was something of a scramble to fill non-district schedules again and Richlands wound up scheduling home and home series against a couple of Roanoke area schools (Northside and Lord Botetourt).  There were some raised eyebrows but I don't remember a lot of outright complaining about it.  Several families (including mine) made something of a getaway out of the trip for the Northside game -- which coincided with Labor Day weekend.

A lot of Liberty-Bedford teams schedule a geographic outlier as part of their non-district schedule.  But then again Bedford is pretty centrally located and you can hit a lot of interesting options within a 2-3 hour drive of here.

Probably not much benefit to Richlands to venture very broadly now unless they absolutely had to.  But that has been the case at various times in the school's football playing history.

Didn't Richlands play some school from Indiana in the late 80s/early 90s???

13 minutes ago, GMan said:

Didn't Richlands play some school from Indiana in the late 80s/early 90s???

Providence, IN in 1995.

I've always heard a few different stories on how the game came to be and a few things that transpired after the fact but I have never had those stories confirmed. 

6 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

Providence, IN in 1995.

I've always heard a few different stories on how the game came to be and a few things that transpired after the fact but I have never had those stories confirmed. 

Providence is a private Catholic school across the Ohio River from Louisville, KY. It is in New Albany, Indiana. The full name of the school is Our Lady of Providence.

13 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

Providence, IN in 1995.

The one I’ve always heard is that they were playing a team on TN or NC and needed another game and our area was on the way for them and they called and we agreed. 

But like you — I’ve never heard anything confirmed. 

I don't know how the Providence game came to be, but I clearly remember why it was necessary. Richlands was having difficulty scheduling OOD opponents following the '92 season, as a number of area schools 'boycotted" the Blues. The rehiring of Dennis Vaught as head coach in '95 didn't really help the matter.

24 minutes ago, b_dawg74 said:

When is Tazewell going to get a synth turf field? They have always played second fiddle to Graham and Richlands.

As soon as they get someone to pay for it. Private company paid for Richlands' and the City of Bluefield, WV payed for the one in Bluefield.

2 hours ago, b_dawg74 said:

When is Tazewell going to get a synth turf field? They have always played second fiddle to Graham and Richlands.

There’s no rush in that department.  There are several pluses to natural turf, especially in terms of joint injuries.  But I anticipate it will happen sooner rather than later.

10 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Depending on who the replacement ends up being for Mt View, they should win all the same games they did the past season and possibly/probably get a couple more.

The team they are picking up  should be a challenge.  Athletic and play in the Richmond-Petersburg area against a few pretty good ball clubs.

Hot off the presses!

Scrimmage: @Radford, August 12th, 7:00 PM

Benefit: @Chilhowie, August 19th, 7:00 PM

Regular Season Schedule:

All at 7:00 PM unless otherwise noted.

8/26: Virginia High

9/2: Graham

9/10: @Colonial Heights (12:00 PM)

9/16: John Battle

9/24: @Riverheads (1:00 PM)

9/30: @Grundy

10/7: @Richlands

10/14: @Bluefield (7:30 PM)

10/21: Marion

10/28: Fort Chiswell

11/4: OPEN

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Hot off the presses!

Scrimmage: @Radford, August 12th, 7:00 PM

Benefit: @Chilhowie, August 19th, 7:00 PM

Regular Season Schedule:

All at 7:00 PM unless otherwise noted.

8/26: Virginia High

9/2: Graham

9/10: @Colonial Heights (12:00 PM)

9/16: John Battle

9/24: @Riverheads (1:00 PM)

9/30: @Grundy

10/7: @Richlands

10/14: @Bluefield (7:30 PM)

10/21: Marion

10/28: Fort Chiswell

11/4: OPEN

Nice schedule.   Colonial Heights will be an interesting matchup.  I am going to make a weekend trip out of that game.

18 hours ago, BKFootball said:

Do you all predict Tazewell to go 5-5 or less next season?

I give the dogs the edge against Marion, John Battle, Grundy, Richlands, Fort Chiswell

Toss up with Colonial Heights and Virginia High

I give the edge to Graham. Riverheads and Bluefield.

5-5 at worst.

My way too early prediction is a very solid 7-3 with a couple of quality wins. 

23 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I would think it would be nearly impossible to find a one year deal.  I blame Mt. View.

Precisely.  It’s a one-off, nothing more.  The only 3 teams within 6 hours that had any opening AND were willing to play Tazewell were Keyser, WV; Colonial Heights, VA; and Bourbon County, KY.  

11 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I give the dogs the edge against Marion, John Battle, Grundy, Richlands, Fort Chiswell

Toss up with Colonial Heights and Virginia High

I give the edge to Graham. Riverheads and Bluefield.

5-5 at worst.

My way too early prediction is a very solid 7-3 with a couple of quality wins. 

That’s a perfectly fair estimation.  I’m much more bullish on Tazewell’s chances with Colonial Heights.  That team lost a bunch of talent from a squad that went just 4-6 last season.  And that’s a banner year for them historically.  Despite being open since 1958, they have only made the playoffs 5 times (including the modern area where it’s pretty difficult to miss it), and are 0-5 once they get there.

5 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Precisely.  It’s a one-off, nothing more.  The only 3 teams within 6 hours that had any opening AND were willing to play Tazewell were Keyser, WV; Colonial Heights, VA; and Bourbon County, KY.  

Unfortunately Bourbon County and Keyser have much better facilities than Colonial Heights. But it is what it is. Is there a reason why Tazewell did not try to enforce the contract? I think I know the answer but I could be wrong.