Justin Hamilton Podcast

Observer

7 minutes ago, Observer said:

He does talk about recruiting.  Let's be honest.  How many kids in SWVA can compete at that level?  

Meadows (committed to new staff)

Bradshaw (committed to new staff)

Jenkins (GC) maybe, he committed to W&M

Harris/Beavers remain to be seen

Trenton Adkins could (don’t think he had a VT offer)

Did Cam Allen have a committable offer?

Players from SWVASports.com coverage area currently on D1 rosters. Please add to the list of any I inadvertently missed. 

• Cam Akers Allen - Graham - Purdue
  • Caleb Spurlin - Galax - Appalachian State
  • PJ Prioleau - Radford - Virginia Tech
  • Cole Pickett - Galax - Virginia Tech
  • Cole Blaker - Narrows - Virginia Tech
  • Jaden Keller - Tennessee - Virginia Tech
  • Noah Sage - Lee - Virginia Tech
  • James Mitchell - Union - Virginia Tech
  • Sean Martin - Bluefield - West Virginia
  • Kaulin Parris - Bluefield - West Virginia (Transfer Portal)
  • Jordan Stout - Honaker - Penn State 
  • Levi Forrest - Richlands - Penn State (Transfer Portal)
  • Trenton Adkins - Ridgeview - Toledo (Transfer Portal)
  • JJ Davis - Bluefield - Marshall (Transfer Portal?)
  • Isaiah Johnson - Bluefield - Arizona State
  • Brodie Meadows - Graham - Virginia Tech
  • Xayvion Bradshaw - Graham - Virginia Tech
  • Benji Gosnell - Carroll County - Virginia Tech

That's 18 off the top of my head. There are more than you realize. Add in the fact that the previous staff didn't recruit the whole of Virginia, not just SWVA, and it becomes all the more egregious. I like Justin Hamilton but he, of all people, should know the benefit of in-state recruiting. 

33 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Might want to change that to Cameron Allen not Akers. Also don’t think JJ Davis is with Marshall anymore. Decanter Powell-Woods from Bluefield plays at Central Michigan.

Fixed, thanks. Recency-bias I suppose after watching the Rams the past two weeks. 

Bluefield has a WR currently that is a D1 target, correct? 

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Players from SWVASports.com coverage area currently on D1 rosters. Please add to the list of any I inadvertently missed. 

• Cam Akers Allen- Graham - Purdue
  • JJ Davis - Bluefield - Marshall

That's 18 off the top of my head. There are more than you realize. Add in the fact that the previous staff didn't recruit the whole of Virginia, not just SWVA, and it becomes all the more egregious. I like Justin Hamilton but he, of all people, should know the benefit of in-state recruiting. 

Add Ben Cox to that list.  Radford High offensive lineman who started this year at Vanderbilt on the offensive line as a true sophomore and was honorable mentional All SEC OL.  Radford is located just a few minutes from Lane Stadium.  Also, add Deiyantei Powell from Bluefield High, a 3 star player and who started 8 games this year at Central Michigan as a sophomore.  

Ben Cox, Cam Allen, and Scruggs from Appo are head scratchers to me.  Absolute head scratchers with Fuent.  All 3 will play pro football and all 3 right in Tech's backyard or close by and all 3 with fans shouting from the rooftops as to their potential.  It's not like Tech "forgot or missed em."  They were aware and the choice Fu and at least some of the staff was....No.  

Updated list. Keep 'em comin!

• Cam Allen - Graham - Purdue
  • Deiyantei Powell-Woods - Bluefield - Central Michigan
  • Ben Cox - Radford - Vanderbilt

40 minutes ago, Observer said:

While it is great that these kids have made it to that level, how many have actually made an impact on their team?  Allen, Mitchell and Stout....

Whataboutism at its finest!!! You initially asked "how many can play at that level?" Now, it's "how many have actually made an impact?" Keep moving the goal post. I'm sure you could wow us all with your major college football gridiron glory!

• Cam Allen - Graham - Purdue - All Big 10 performer and will have a shot at playing on Sunday's. He has appeared in every game since the beginning of his sophomore season.
  • Caleb Spurlin - Galax - Appalachian State - Four-year starting Defensive Lineman at Appalachian State. Two time all Sun Belt Conference performer. Finished second for the Burlsworth Trophy, which honors the best former walk-on football player in the country.
  • PJ Prioleau - Radford - Virginia Tech - Redshirted as a freshman
  • Cole Pickett - Galax - Virginia Tech - Redshirted as a freshman
  • Cole Blaker - Narrows - Virginia Tech - Played significant minutes in VT's Bowl game in December.
  • Jaden Keller - Tennessee - Virginia Tech - Reserve OLB. Saw action in 4 games as a true freshman.
  • Noah Sage - Lee - Virginia Tech - Played significant minutes in VT's Bowl game in December.
  • James Mitchell - Union - Virginia Tech - One of the best TE's in the country. Was a star at VT.
  • Sean Martin - Bluefield - West Virginia - Special Teams standout. Saw significant minutes on defense finial 5 games of the season.
  • Jordan Stout - Honaker - Penn State - All Big 10 punter. Semifinalist for the Ray Guy award.
  • Isaiah Johnson - Bluefield - Arizona State - Redshirted as a freshman
  • Brodie Meadows - Graham - Virginia Tech - Freshman in 2022
  • Xayvion Bradshaw - Graham - Virginia Tech - Freshman in 2022
  • Benji Gosnell - Carroll County - Virginia Tech - Freshman in 2022. Had 52 D1 scholarship offers. Originally committed to Ohio State before signing with VT.
  • Deiyantei Powell-Woods - Bluefield - Central Michigan - Appeared in every game of his college career. 
  • Ben Cox - Radford - Vanderbilt - Started every game but one of his college career.

Of the 20 players on this list, 6 are starters, 4 are in the transfer portal, 4 are key contributors to their teams in the very early stages of their career, 3 were redshirted, and 3 haven't began their college career yet. Again, more than you realize can play at that level and most are contributing. 

17 hours ago, sixcat said:

Fixed, thanks. Recency-bias I suppose after watching the Rams the past two weeks. 

Bluefield has a WR currently that is a D1 target, correct? 

Don’t think so. Hairston the RB has potential if that’s who you might be thinking of.

16 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

What about Martin Lucas from Abingdon?

I was only including FBS players but we can certainly expand to include FCS. The list will get significantly larger. 

15 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Don’t think so. Hairston the RB has potential if that’s who you might be thinking of.

Had to do some internet sleuthing but I was referring to Jacorian Green. Surprised he isn't getting a little attention from G5 schools.

19 hours ago, Observer said:

You proved my point.  Very few!!!

If VT was more successful I think your stance would be stronger, most of those guys aren't fantastic recruits but are good players. VT has been pretty bad for the past few seasons while guys they didn't even look at or hardly recruited are contributing (or more) at other places.  Its like the Indianapolis Colts saying "we were decent this year, were not going to use our upcoming draft picks for rounds 4-7, we just want 1-3. Those other guys wont make us any better". That's not how you build a program/team.

And as far as recruiting, its not like these players expected to see a VT coach 3 times a week for months. Most realize where they're from and how good they are. Many of the ones Pry and staff have signed seemingly did so after a few calls and a visit, Fuente and staff wouldn't give them the time of day. Pry's reward for investment in recruiting has been tremendous so far. 

10 minutes ago, redtiger said:

If VT was more successful I think your stance would be stronger, most of those guys aren't fantastic recruits but are good players. VT has been pretty bad for the past few seasons while guys they didn't even look at or hardly recruited are contributing (or more) at other places.  Its like the Indianapolis Colts saying "we were decent this year, were not going to use our upcoming draft picks for rounds 4-7, we just want 1-3. Those other guys wont make us any better". That's not how you build a program/team.

And as far as recruiting, its not like these players expected to see a VT coach 3 times a week for months. Most realize where they're from and how good they are. Many of the ones Pry and staff have signed seemingly did so after a few calls and a visit, Fuente and staff wouldn't give them the time of day. Pry's reward for investment in recruiting has been tremendous so far. 

This^.  The previous staff was almost negligent or dismissive about the region.  VT gets a lot of fan support and dollars flowing in from west of Roanoke.  The occasional waving of their flag at some schools is good for business. Pry’s staff were at Thomas Walker a couple of weeks ago and swung by Ridgeview as well.  I’m sure they’ve been to several other local schools.  It is all about relationships.

9 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

This^.  The previous staff was almost negligent or dismissive about the region.  VT gets a lot of fan support and dollars flowing in from west of Roanoke.  The occasional waving of their flag at some schools is good for business. Pry’s staff were at Thomas Walker a couple of weeks ago and swung by Ridgeview as well.  I’m sure they’ve been to several other local schools.  It is all about relationships.

They have been to George Wythe, Galax and Pulaski recently as well. I'm sure more I haven't seen on Twitter.

On 2/2/2022 at 9:41 AM, Observer said:

Great interview with Justin on the Tech Sideline channel.

Special Guest Justin Hamilton! TSL Podcast 221 - YouTube

The interview is pretty solid. I recommend anyone who is a fan of high school football in SWVA to check it out. Justin talks about his days in Clintwood and how solid the LPD was when he was going through. He also talks a lot about his playing days at VT which is interesting. Touches on his coaching career thus far as well. I recommend the listen. He did mention in the interview when directly asked if he, himself, was able to get down in SWVA and recruit he said he was not able to to the extent that he wanted to because of COVID. With all that being said, I am glad this new staff is getting into SWVA. Pry has done a wonderful job thus far planting seeds from Ewing to Arlington to Chincoteague down to Danville...you get the drift.