oak hill

stantheman

My "sure to be wrong" prediction is, OHA will either bring Yerrick Stoneman home or promote Brian Meagher.

Yerrick was an assistant at OHA for 11 seasons before becoming head coach at Ridge View in Columbia, SC. In his 6 seasons in Columbia, Yerrick has won 3 state championships in SC's largest classification and sent 10 players to major college basketball programs including two to Georgetown and one to South Carolina. Yerrick was Athletic Director at Galax High School for a few years between his stints at OHA and Ridge View. Exceptional coaching ability and his knowledge of the intricacies of basketball is unrivaled. He was a graduate assistant at Virginia Tech under Bill Foster. I grew up with Yerrick and have known him well for 40 years.

Meagher has been an assistant at OHA for nearly 20 years. He has passed up on numerous offers to lead a program of his own and remained loyal to Smith and OHA. 

6 hours ago, sixcat said:

Still a member of the US Army Reserve!!!!!  I'm digging that hire right off the bat, before reading the rest of his credentials.  Oak Hill has a coach with obvious Hoops IQ and Knowledge and Winning Experience, but I bet his military experience is a huge chunk of that winning at it relates to leadership/organizational managment/motivation. 

36 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Still a member of the US Army Reserve!!!!!  I'm digging that hire right off the bat, before reading the rest of his credentials.  Oak Hill has a coach with obvious Hoops IQ and Knowledge and Winning Experience, but I bet his military experience is a huge chunk of that winning at it relates to leadership/organizational managment/motivation. 

Yerrick and I went through AIT together at Fort Jackson. We were in the same unit post training for a few years. I got out in 2000. He deferred a few years to be able to be an assistant coach at Oak Hill from 96-07 before resuming his military career. He served a tour in Iraq sometime around 2009. 

21 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Yerrick and I went through AIT together at Fort Jackson. We were in the same unit post training for a few years. I got out in 2000. He deferred a few years to be able to be an assistant coach at Oak Hill from 96-07 before resuming his military career. He served a tour in Iraq sometime around 2009. 

Wow, small world. Thanks for your service as well Sixcat.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested, Yerrick's Ridge View team beat Mauldin in the State Semi-final Saturday 58-49. They will play Fort Dorchester for the South Carolina Class AAAAA State Championship Wednesday at USC-Aiken. Fort Dorchester is 25-1 on the season while Ridge View is 19-11, with 9 of their 11 loses coming to national programs such as Oak Hill Academy, Huntington, Prolific Prep, and JSiera Catholic. I would also point out, Ridge View started the season 5-8 while dealing with lingering Covid related issues. They even played Orlando Christian Prep on December 10th with only JV players available.  

The two schools have one common opponent.

Fort Dorchester's only loss of the season was December 29 to Riverside 49-43.
Ridge View defeated Riverside in the 2nd round of the playoffs 75-53.