All Mountain 7

pakdastands

It won't be but honestly if Union beats GC by double digits, the entire first team should be Union kids. They've yet to play a district game within single digits. Reyshawn Anderson is Union's sixth man and would start for any other team in the league.

Union does have a good team with several players deserving credit, but I dont see a couple of their starters being better than a few others on other teams.  There are several young and upcoming players that stood out on their teams too.  Union will go a long ways this year, but what will they be next year compared to other schools?  Will they be at the top once again? I know they have a few seniors that are stand out players. 

2 hours ago, UnionBears said:

It won't be but honestly if Union beats GC by double digits, the entire first team should be Union kids. They've yet to play a district game within single digits. Reyshawn Anderson is Union's sixth man and would start for any other team in the league.

The Osborne kid from Abingdon would like a word

10 hours ago, UnionBears said:

i think thats a little bit of an exaggeration!!!   Bunch is the only player in the district on the same level or at a higher level than osborne from abingdon,   you can make a case for osborne as POY.  Bunch will win and should since they will win the district and go undefeated in the district.   Ramsey getting hurt will keep him off the first team as well.   Haynes Carter will have a outside shot at first team as well.

3 hours ago, stantheman said:

i think thats a little bit of an exaggeration!!!   Bunch is the only player in the district on the same level or at a higher level than osborne from abingdon,   you can make a case for osborne as POY.  Bunch will win and should since they will win the district and go undefeated in the district.   Ramsey getting hurt will keep him off the first team as well.   Haynes Carter will have a outside shot at first team as well.

Who again is AA player of the year?Who has more ppg ? Which team played a tougher schedule? Just saying!!!Bunch is a better shooter , and on the better team, there are several player in Mountain 7 who could start for anyone , but saying the kid from the largest school in the district , is better……well…..not so much

I think dude was saying Abingdon needed Osborne more, he's more valuable to Abingdon than Bunch is to Union (I disagree but I can see the argument, the old best player v most important to their team), not that he's better than Bunch.

If he's not saying that and implying Osborne has been better, well I can't see anyone arguing that. Pretty clear who the best player in the M7 and 2D is. Osbourne is a first team player tho, he's really picked up the slack once Ramsey went out. 

Osborne should be the a front runner for POY next season.  Bunch is a shoe in for it this year. Osborne from Abingdon, Bunch, Jenkins from Union. Kidwell from TW, Hammonds from Lee, and the Collins kid from Central are on the same team for travel ball this spring

What a player will be vs what he is now is different , head to head is no competition at all based on points blocks turnovers ect ect ect. I don’t see the the Falcons going past the first round, now if the big guy was there it could have changed everything 

no where in my comment did i say osborne was better than bunch,   bunch will win poy and deserves it,  he has had a hell of a run during his career,   I dont think that unions schedule was that much tougher than abingdons,   my point was with the statement that no one else in the district deserved to be on the all district team that is should all be unions starting 5,   my opinion was that there was no other player better than osborne other than bunch,   the kid has had a great run at union and deserves everything he wins.  major props to him

10 hours ago, Observer said:

My All-Conference team would be

Bunch (Union)

Osborne (Abingdon)

Bartee (Union)

McMurray (Gate City)

Robinette (Ridgeview)

I would go with hopefully 6 players.

POY-Bunch

Then, 5 guys on First Team are......

Osborne-Abingdon

Jenkins-Union- Putting Bunch aside,, I think 3 guys from Union are very close, but I like Jenkins defense, rebounding, changes lots of shots in the paint. Does lots of stuff that doesn't show in the stats.

Garrett-GC.  Kind of like Jenkins above compared to Bartee, as this relates to McMurray, Garrett just does a whole lot

Robinette-RV

Ramsey-Abingdon, if his injury keeps him off, then pickem from Carter from Abingdon or Bartee from Union, maybe toss in McMurray, but I don't think GC should get two

Only my opinion. Union and GC fans certainly know their teams and players better than me, and if their fans say Bartee and McMurray, then that take has far more validity than mine who has only watched a few of their games from the outside looking in.

2 hours ago, stantheman said:

no where in my comment did i say osborne was better than bunch,   bunch will win poy and deserves it,  he has had a hell of a run during his career,   I dont think that unions schedule was that much tougher than abingdons,   my point was with the statement that no one else in the district deserved to be on the all district team that is should all be unions starting 5,   my opinion was that there was no other player better than osborne other than bunch,   the kid has had a great run at union and deserves everything he wins.  major props to him

Both teams didn't take many easy OOC games but Union played a tougher slate I think. Aside from the M7 schedule, Abingdon played East, TN High, VHS, Christiansburg, Graham, Dorman and Bearden (Arbys), Volunteer.

Union played Unico Co, East, Burton, Science Hill, Greeneville Volunteer Bearden (Arbys), East Rock and Oak Hill red. So take out Arby's and East, Abingdon played THS, VHS, Graham, Christiansburg and Union played Unico, Science Hill, Burton, East Rock and Oak Hill. SH and East Rock are better than any team Abingdon played outside of Arbys. 

17 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Both teams didn't take many easy OOC games but Union played a tougher slate I think. Aside from the M7 schedule, Abingdon played East, TN High, VHS, Christiansburg, Graham, Dorman and Bearden (Arbys), Volunteer.

Union played Unico Co, East, Burton, Science Hill, Greeneville Volunteer Bearden (Arbys), East Rock and Oak Hill red. So take out Arby's and East, Abingdon played THS, VHS, Graham, Christiansburg and Union played Unico, Science Hill, Burton, East Rock and Oak Hill. SH and East Rock are better than any team Abingdon played outside of Arbys. 

Basketball 1st team is a 10 man team normally in district.  The debate of post season rewards is normally one of the most enjoyable threads on this board.  Lots of good points.  Enjoy reading!!

50 minutes ago, pakdastands said:

No predictions on next season? I think we all have a good idea who will the Mountain 7 this year and go on. It may be a toss up next year

As far as team rankings I'll go with

1. GC

2. Ridgeview

3. Abingdon

4. Union

5. John Battle

6. Central

7. Lee High

I can see this:

1. Abingdon-loses Carter and Kilgore but Honaker, and Osborne will be tough with a few good players coming from JV

2. GC-Athletic team with a defensive mind

3. Ridgeview- looses a few potent contributors I think

4. Central- very young team, returns 3 freshmen that saw valuable minutes with good JV players coming up

5. Union- Looses a majority of minutes and experience, I think its a rebuild year

6. Battle-Athletic with solid JV bunch coming up

7. Lee-returns a scorer, have low numbers 

1 through 3 really is a crap shoot.  Either can compete with each other.  4 through 6 maybe a year or so away.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:38 AM, pakdastands said:

Osborne should be the a front runner for POY next season.  Bunch is a shoe in for it this year. Osborne from Abingdon, Bunch, Jenkins from Union. Kidwell from TW, Hammonds from Lee, and the Collins kid from Central are on the same team for travel ball this spring

Any update about this travel team? Sounds like a good team to go watch

Watching the Union/Central game on Nfhs the guy from Union that does the play by play said the Collins kid from Central and Bunch from Union were travel teammates right before they were tipping off against each other.  Sounds like a SWVA All Star team.