Graham Nickname

Unchained

My friends from Bluefield can you please do something about the G-Men name? This poor announcer from Central is doing his best,but it's comical listening to him struggle with calling their squad the G-Girls lol. On a serious note I am assuming girls sports weren't an option when the high school was formed? Some insight into the history of the school would be appreciated.

On 2/22/2022 at 9:16 PM, Bluefield researcher said:

Like most schools Graham did not have a mascot until 1929 when they were called the Panthers. In 1931 the team was called the Bears. 1935 is the first mention of G-Men.

I took a time travel once back to the fall of 1929.

I said to a nice gentleman I met, "What time do the Blue Tornado and G-Men kickoff?"

He said, "What the Hell is a G-Men?"

It all makes since now.

3 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

I took a time travel once back to the fall of 1929.

I said to a nice gentleman I met, "What time do the Blue Tornado and G-Men kickoff?"

He said, "What the Hell is a G-Men?"

It all makes since now.

CityofRaven, he certainly wouldn't have associated "G-Men" with Graham High School, but he would certainly full well know what a "G-Men" was in 1929.  Most people I'm certain aren't familar with the use of the word "G-"Men" today, but back in 1929,  the use of the word G-Men would likely have equal or more familiarity than the word "FBI."  Back it 1929, it wasn't "The FBI or Feds are coming for you."  It was, "The G-Men are coming for you."  Even though G-Men seems weired today, there actually is some relevance to the historical time of its start to Appalachia related to the Great Depression and of course, the obvious Moonshining of the day where it was a constant cat and mouse game known by a huge chunk of families.