Gate City, Union, Graham, Marion Region D Scores 2/23/2022

BandanaVTDavis4321

I am a M7 dude,and always pull for our squads,but I am so glad that this game wasn't stolen from a group of high school kids battling with all they had. Marion absolutely hands down deserved this win,and had it been Union instead of RV I would still be saying it. Congrats Scarlet Hurricane on your TWO wins tonight. You beat both RV as well as the stripes.

First of all, being there live last night... The refs were atrocious.  For both sides.  Not just Marion.  Both sides. makes me glad I live on the Tennessee side now where for 51 weeks out of the year, refs are pretty fair. Arby's Classic week being the only exception. 

I know one personally.  Guy with glasses and hair was Matt Kegley.  He's a piece of work.  Just a bad bad person. For Union fans, he's the moron at the Arby's who always says very demeaning things about you and your players when you're playing, so I would watch out if you guys ever get him. He used to ref JV games in Tennessee, and he was bad there as well.  Guess he had to go to the other side of the line where he fits in with the other bad officials. 

As for the officiating, #24 for Marion was carrying the ball every time down the floor.  Every single time. He only got whistled for it once.  #2 was pulling on Robinette's jersey every single possession.  Only got whistled for it once.  Sure Ridgeview committed a lot of fouls as well.  The jump ball in the 2nd OT was just... Wow. The play at the end of the first OT was just mind blowing. 

As for the Marion fans sitting on the Ridgeview side... Why?  To me, that's ridiculous. And then taunting as well... Not classy. It's something you see at Gate City as well. There were plenty of seats open on the home side, why not sit over there? I don't find myself ever pulling for Union hardly, but I'm hoping that they win by 40 on Friday night. 

36 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

First of all, being there live last night... The refs were atrocious.  For both sides.  Not just Marion.  Both sides. makes me glad I live on the Tennessee side now where for 51 weeks out of the year, refs are pretty fair. Arby's Classic week being the only exception. 

I know one personally.  Guy with glasses and hair was Matt Kegley.  He's a piece of work.  Just a bad bad person. For Union fans, he's the moron at the Arby's who always says very demeaning things about you and your players when you're playing, so I would watch out if you guys ever get him. He used to ref JV games in Tennessee, and he was bad there as well.  Guess he had to go to the other side of the line where he fits in with the other bad officials. 

As for the officiating, #24 for Marion was carrying the ball every time down the floor.  Every single time. He only got whistled for it once.  #2 was pulling on Robinette's jersey every single possession.  Only got whistled for it once.  Sure Ridgeview committed a lot of fouls as well.  The jump ball in the 2nd OT was just... Wow. The play at the end of the first OT was just mind blowing. 

As for the Marion fans sitting on the Ridgeview side... Why?  To me, that's ridiculous. And then taunting as well... Not classy. It's something you see at Gate City as well. There were plenty of seats open on the home side, why not sit over there? I don't find myself ever pulling for Union hardly, but I'm hoping that they win by 40 on Friday night. 

Being there live as well outside of that last call in the first OT I thought it was about par for the course as far as what we have seen all season from officials.

As far as #24 (Grant Williams) him carrying the ball was the same thing Ridgeview players where doing all night long! and he was whistled for it atleast 3 times that I remember. #2 "grabbing" a jersey it just not true. That is called good defense when Marion switched to a Box and 1 that completely shut Ridgeview down in the second half. I guess If 5 inches and 40 pounds on the kid guarding me and couldnt get away I would be complaining too. 

As far as Marion fan sitting on the Ridgeview side.. They were all parents that have been sitting behind Marions bench for years so that can be closer to their kids as they play the game.. Ridgeviews fan where talking shit to to a 15 and 17 year old kid every time down the court and to the student section full of children. so that is okay? hmm lets think about every adult wearing blue last fight waving good bye and cheering when they saw Grant foul out it what could have been his last high school game. All I got to say is ball dont lie Marion won and deserved to win after that come back the kids played their asses off to over come a lot.  

21 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

Being there live as well outside of that last call in the first OT I thought it was about par for the course as far as what we have seen all season from officials.

As far as #24 (Grant Williams) him carrying the ball was the same thing Ridgeview players where doing all night long! and he was whistled for it atleast 3 times that I remember. #2 "grabbing" a jersey it just not true. That is called good defense when Marion switched to a Box and 1 that completely shut Ridgeview down in the second half. I guess If 5 inches and 40 pounds on the kid guarding me and couldnt get away I would be complaining too. 

As far as Marion fan sitting on the Ridgeview side.. They were all parents that have been sitting behind Marions bench for years so that can be closer to their kids as they play the game.. Ridgeviews fan where talking shit to to a 15 and 17 year old kid every time down the court and to the student section full of children. so that is okay? hmm lets think about every adult wearing blue last fight waving good bye and cheering when they saw Grant foul out it what could have been his last high school game. All I got to say is ball dont lie Marion won and deserved to win after that come back the kids played their asses off to over come a lot.  

I can respect that... we see it through different colored glasses.  I'll be the first to admit, Ridgeview definitely has some whiny fans... some I'll even go as far to say as embarrassing.... but refs were still bad for both sides and everyone here is saying it was one sided.  It wasn't.  Like I replied in the other thread... I'm just old school... home side and visitor side. If Marion parents want to sit behind their bench, maybe the bench should be moved to the home side.  Guess I need to get with the times.

Fans are like that everywhere Holston almost started a fist fight in the stands when they came over.. Refs have been trash all year so what happened last night doesnt surprise me. I heard from people on the court that the ref that called the foul at the end of the first OT thought Marion was down and was trying to foul to extend the game which is just mind blowing to me. As far as where to sit at Marion some parents, coaching families, and some teachers have always been behind the bench. I dont know if its like that everywhere I dont attend many away games. 

17 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

Fans are like that everywhere Holston almost started a fist fight in the stands when they came over.. Refs have been trash all year so what happened last night doesnt surprise me. I heard from people on the court that the ref that called the foul at the end of the first OT thought Marion was down and was trying to foul to extend the game which is just mind blowing to me. As far as where to sit at Marion some parents, coaching families, and some teachers have always been behind the bench. I dont know if its like that everywhere I dont attend many away games. 

Yeah, Gate City is like that as well for sure.  When D-B played there a couple of weeks ago, I went to that end and sat before most of the Gate City crowd showed up.  I ended up sitting in a sea of blue.  They were nice and didn't treat me and my fiancee bad for cheering the visiting team though.  At Union and Central and Ridgeview, the benches are on the home side... I have never really noticed if away fans sit on that side or not.  I haven't at Ridgeview.

4 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Just saw that Williams scored 48 last night.  Pretty impressive and a school record at that, so congratulations to him on a great performance.

And he is a great kid as well! very close to 1000 and that is a mark he deserves with the work he has put in. He will probably need a monster game against Union to get it but I hope he does

8 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

First time I saw him work a game was in the Rye Cove-Twin Springs season finale.  Ive only known of Kegleys residing in two different areas around here.   A couple in Lee County and an abundance in Nicklesville.  I thought maybe he was visiting family that weekend.  😉