James River at Union

UnionBears

The fact this game is at Union in BSG is huge, I think. We’ve not lost a home game to a VA school in two years. Hopefully we can stay out of foul trouble and hit a few more perimeter jumpers.

What’s the skinny on JR?

Solid defensively like Union. Offensively, solid like Union but much more offense from outside the arch compared to Union's offense with probably more offense in the paint. Going to be a good game. I think the Bears win it by 4 to 8 points.  Both teams get lots of points in transition and thrive/capitalize on teams that don't get back on defense. One thing about JR, they have certain games where they just can't miss from outside as they move the ball incredibly well offensively to find the open shooter, if they have one of those games, then Union could get shot out of the gym. I think Union's D is good enough to contest a lot of those outside shots and good enough to get the Bears over the hump.

9 minutes ago, swvaobserver said:

That's what you think.  Apparently, Union's principal wants to hold the game at UVa Wise to avoid the hassle of hosting this game.  And just to be sporting.

I thought it had to be a neutral site-last year was the exception due to Covid 

A rational, interested person would agree.  But, you dont understand.  The administration isn't from BSG or Appalachia and doesn't particularly care about the success of the program.  They don't appreciate nor care about the value of home court advantage.  It's insane.

16 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

I thought it had to be a neutral site-last year was the exception due to Covid 

Don't know if this is true, but from what I read on another site, the VHSL is allowing home teams to play in their actual home gym in the state quarterfinals and state semifinals as long as.....

1. The gym seats at least 500

2. The home teams gym must have access/ability/camera to live stream the game for home viewers.

Here's the other insanity, as of right now, even though the gym must hold at least 500, the VHSL is NOT allowing more than 500 people in the gym for all state Quarterfinal and Semifinal games. There is much discussion and debate coming this upcoming week with the VHSL as to whether that is changed....or holds.

Again, the above is only what I read.

16 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Don't know if this is true, but from what I read on another site, the VHSL is allowing home teams to play in their actual home gym in the state quarterfinals and state semifinals as long as.....

1. The gym seats at least 500

2. The home teams gym must have access/ability/camera to live stream the game for home viewers.

Here's the other insanity, as of right now, even though the gym must hold at least 500, the VHSL is NOT allowing more than 500 people in the gym for all state Quarterfinal and Semifinal games. There is much discussion and debate coming this upcoming week with the VHSL as to whether that is changed....or holds.

Again, the above is only what I read.

Part of what you read has definitely not been true in the past. VHSL has required a much larger attendance capacity than 500 and schools could not “host” but they could play at a venue close by that meets the VHSL requirements. With Covid that obviously may have changed. 

9 hours ago, UnionBears said:

You’d have to be a fool to play at Wise if Union is an option. I thought Goforth and the Wise ties were no longer with the school? Us giving up home games to play GC at Wise was bad enough. 

One thing to consider is that the VHSL says tickets sales are online only, and the visiting team is allowed to purchase 50% of the available seats up through a certain date, then the rest of their unsold allotment becomes available to anyone.  So basically the visiting team could match the home crowd in size if they buy their 50%.

We have a system that appoints administrators from Wise who have coached or currently coach at Wise.  They do not like BSG nor BSG people, and they like to do crap like that to thwart the success of our community.  For people like Goforth and Helton, its just a job.  No affinity or loyalty for the place.  

Giving up home games to play GC in Wise was really, really bad. Giving up a state tournament game to play in Wise would be horrible. These kids and coaches deserve to play at home, please don't take it away from them.

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Stop being a cryptic weenie. If you have inside knowledge MG, just say it definitively. Union play a JR at home Fri or Sat.

Yeah, pretty poor look for someone in a position of authority.  Wise County struggles enough with appearances of arrogance without occasions such as this confirming them.

39 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Hopefully, the Bears can pull out the win. I’d like to see someone from this end of the state win. James River is tough but not unbeatable. Home court advantage is huge!  I’m ready for football but I digress. 

Like I wrote, James River better pack a dang lunch!   James River will face the BEST defensive team they have seen all season and arguably, the best defensive rebounding team (you miss a shot and it's Union's ball) they have seen all season.  James River competed last season in 2020-21 just like Union did, and James River lost to Glenvar to end their season last year.  Union returns 4 key guys from a state title team.  I know.......last year is last year and this year is this year, but I'm not seeing anything that tells me that Union can't win, and not only that, I'm not seeing much saying James River is going to win.  Last year, Radford was like 18-0 going into the Union game and a common thought or theme was, Union did have much of chance to win.  At the least, they were not considered a favorite to win.  Union handled business.

Heard from a credible source: #1 Jenkins for Union, went down with a bad ankle injury during live practice on Tuesday. I’m quite surprised they were going live? 
anyway, if he is limited tonight, he may not be effective as he has been recently (18-20ppg) he relies on his athletic ability, hustle, and effort to get his points. Something interesting to watch as the course of the game unfolds