High school basketball in Kentucky

swva_havok_fan

So, on Saturday, I decided to make the drive over to Pikeville to watch the 15th Region basketball tournament at Appalachian Wireless Arena.  A couple of observations:

• The girls championship game between Lawrence County and Pikeville was very high level.  Pikeville defeated Ridgeview during the season by close to 50 if I recall.  Both of these teams would beat any team southwest Virginia or northeast Tennessee has to offer and it wouldn't be close.
  • Folks in Kentucky love their hoops.  I am not sure of what the capacity of Appalachian Wireless Arena is, but the Buck Van Huss Dome in Kingsport holds 4,200 and AWA is much larger.  I'd guess it holds around 7,500.  The arena was probably 75% full on Saturday.  Around 6,000 people at a region high school basketball tournament is very impressive.

58 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

So, on Saturday, I decided to make the drive over to Pikeville to watch the 15th Region basketball tournament at Appalachian Wireless Arena.  A couple of observations:

• The girls championship game between Lawrence County and Pikeville was very high level.  Pikeville defeated Ridgeview during the season by close to 50 if I recall.  Both of these teams would beat any team southwest Virginia or northeast Tennessee has to offer and it wouldn't be close.
  • Folks in Kentucky love their hoops.  I am not sure of what the capacity of Appalachian Wireless Arena is, but the Buck Van Huss Dome in Kingsport holds 4,200 and AWA is much larger.  I'd guess it holds around 7,500.  The arena was probably 75% full on Saturday.  Around 6,000 people at a region high school basketball tournament is very impressive.

It holds 5,700 for sporting events. 7,000 for concerts.