Class 1 and Class 2 State Semifinal Scores

Radford 49 James River 47.  Game went to double OT.  James River down 2, and had a wide open....I mean...wide open 3 point shot at the buzzer that missed.

John Marshall 84 Greensville County 44 with 3 minutes left.

Class 2 State Championship- John Marshall vs Radford.  Radford won't win, and won't be within 22 points, but Radford will play for 3 state titles in a row by the end of 2024 as 4 of their top 6 players are sophomores, and they will also likely lose 3 state titles in a row to John Marshall.

Auburn 63, Twin Springs 39

Washington and Lee 59  Lancaster 57.  Gigantic Upset here.  A bigger upset than Fort Chiswell over Parry McCluer.   W&L was 0-3 against Lancaster this year who was a heavy favorite out of the East

Class 1 State Championship, Auburn vs Washington and Lee

34 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Dad has been watching Carroll online lately.  Really likes watching them play.  His basketball coach in HS Kenny Wayne Ervin has a granddaughter playing for the Lady Cavs.

Alyssa Ervin is a hell of a basketball player and she's only a sophomore. She dropped a cool 37 points last night against Spotswood. Marc Motley doesn't get enough credit for the program he has built at Carroll. They were not a relevant program in any sense of the word before he took over.

17 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Radford 49 James River 47.  Game went to double OT.  James River down 2, and had a wide open....I mean...wide open 3 point shot at the buzzer that missed.

John Marshall 84 Greensville County 44 with 3 minutes left.

Class 2 State Championship- John Marshall vs Radford.  Radford won't win, and won't be within 22 points, but Radford will play for 3 state titles in a row by the end of 2024 as 4 of their top 6 players are sophomores, and they will also likely lose 3 state titles in a row to John Marshall.

Auburn 63, Twin Springs 39

Washington and Lee 59  Lancaster 57.  Gigantic Upset here.  A bigger upset than Fort Chiswell over Parry McCluer.   W&L was 0-3 against Lancaster this year who was a heavy favorite out of the East

Class 1 State Championship, Auburn vs Washington and Lee

Why couldn't they miss against Union damnit? Union/Radford woulda been ton of fun. 

6 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Why couldn't they miss against Union damnit? Union/Radford woulda been ton of fun. 

cause zack should have fouled. 99 out of 100 coaches foul in that situation. the one that didnt lost

13 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

Some of y'all have never heard of Howard Mayo and Erin Gibson and it shows.

Mayo was my gym teacher for a year in high school. He was my daughter's gym teacher three years ago at Galax. He's a pompous asshole and vastly overrated as a coach. 

I grew up with Erin's brother Reggie. I've known Erin's dad "Bigfoot" for years. Carroll was decent regionally for a few years while she was playing but that was well over 20 years ago. As soon as they played anyone outside the district, they were dismantled. If memory serves, they were undefeated one year headed into regional play and were obliterated by a below .500 Blacksburg team. 

16 hours ago, The U Bear said:

cause zack should have fouled. 99 out of 100 coaches foul in that situation. the one that didnt lost

99/100 simply isn't true, I've seen a lot of great coaches make the same choice. It's very situational and with how JR had shot, fouling makes most sense but I've seen Pop, Kerr, Jackson, etc... all decide to play defense and not foul. 

too many blown chances throughout the game, not just last second plays forcing overtime.  substitution/timing?   with rasnic and cuasano gone, another guard needed to be put in a position to help out with getting off a few shots and contributing and it just didn't happen.  to be in it with the turnovers they made was great, they never stopped digging and fighting back.  one of the better games i've saw in a long time but should have went the other way, in regulation.

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

99/100 simply isn't true, I've seen a lot of great coaches make the same choice. It's very situational and with how JR had shot, fouling makes most sense but I've seen Pop, Kerr, Jackson, etc... all decide to play defense and not foul. 

ok not 99 out of 100 but if a team lives and dies by the three you foul. thats the point i was trying to make. most coaches foul when a team shoots the three the way jr did

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

too many blown chances throughout the game, not just last second plays forcing overtime.  substitution/timing?   with rasnic and cuasano gone, another guard needed to be put in a position to help out with getting off a few shots and contributing and it just didn't happen.  to be in it with the turnovers they made was great, they never stopped digging and fighting back.  one of the better games i've saw in a long time but should have went the other way, in regulation.

i agree with that too. anderson hit some big shots in the first half and didnt see the floor again til overtime

1 hour ago, The U Bear said:

ok not 99 out of 100 but if a team lives and dies by the three you foul. thats the point i was trying to make. most coaches foul when a team shoots the three the way jr did

I agree with that totally. But Zack said he has his set philosophy and while it didn't work out this time I trust his decision making. The point about Anderson is an EXCELLENT point. Felt like he brought the offensive spark at times, could handle the ball and wasn't a defensive liability at all but wasn't quite as big and strong so they went another way but I also kinda thought he was playing well and could have been involved more  

10 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I agree with that totally. But Zack said he has his set philosophy and while it didn't work out this time I trust his decision making. The point about Anderson is an EXCELLENT point. Felt like he brought the offensive spark at times, could handle the ball and wasn't a defensive liability at all but wasn't quite as big and strong so they went another way but I also kinda thought he was playing well and could have been involved more  

i went back and watched it again and jenkins was on the guy that hit the shot but kinda just stood there and didnt really challenge the shot. maybe if he would have at least put his hands up. also we only had 7 team fouls at that time so if you foul its still 1and 1. oh well its over now learn and move on

41 minutes ago, The U Bear said:

i rememder g.w. carver back in late 80s early 90s. they hammered norton at uva. whatever happened to that school?

Carver and Drewry Mason merged in 88 or 89 to form Magna Vista. 

Magna Vista won the boys hoops state championship in their first year.