Class 1 and Class 2 State Semifinal Scores

GW Carver's last graduating class was 88. Magna Vista won state over Charlottesville HS in 89. Jerome Preston was a big man, played qb at Carver and MV but went on to play D-line at Va Tech in college. Good teams in Henry Co in the 80's, Martinsville played in 6 or 7 state championship games winning 5, Dewey Mason won 3, Carver won 2 and MV won 1. Alot of good bball back then.

1 hour ago, pdfan said:

GW Carver's last graduating class was 88. Magna Vista won state over Charlottesville HS in 89. Jerome Preston was a big man, played qb at Carver and MV but went on to play D-line at Va Tech in college. Good teams in Henry Co in the 80's, Martinsville played in 6 or 7 state championship games winning 5, Dewey Mason won 3, Carver won 2 and MV won 1. Alot of good bball back then.

fluvanna won it around that time too with a kid named luther bates. he was a beast

14 hours ago, pdfan said:

A friend and I were talking about Coach Jim Young this week. He could really shoot the ball long after his playing days were over. Good man and definitely missed. 

On 3/11/2022 at 10:37 AM, sixcat said:

Alyssa Ervin has one hell of a family tree!!! I know her dad pretty well. We play some golf together from time to time.

https://christmasonmarsmovie.com/carroll-countys-ervin-enters-family-business-of-winning-high-school/

I read that and shared it with Dad on Friday. Dad says there has never been a better coach at RC than Kenny Wayne Ervin.  100 straight foul shots without a miss came easy to him apparently as well.  He would occasionally show up at the Cove when I was in school if he was down from Wytheville I believe it was visiting.  Everyone around my dads age loved seeing him and catching up.

7 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

I read that and shared it with Dad on Friday. Dad says there has never been a better coach at RC than Kenny Wayne Ervin.  100 straight foul shots without a miss came easy to him apparently as well.  He would occasionally show up at the Cove when I was in school if he was down from Wytheville I believe it was visiting.  Everyone around my dads age loved seeing him and catching up.

I play some golf with Jon ( Kenny’s son/Alyssa’s dad). Jon went to George Wythe a few years after I was at Carroll in the early to mid 90’s. The genes in that family are something else. 

Edit to add: Alyssa was the camp MVP in Chapel Hill last summer. Radford has already offered. NC State was at the game last Thursday to see her play. 

1 hour ago, Elder statesman said:

Wise by 25+.  Honaker had too many turnovers in their game and wise is much better with defensive pressure.  It’s simply a different game at the 2A level.  Just like Carroll county (3A champ) beats wise by 20+.  Speed and depth increases with bigger schools.

This year probably yes…last year not so much. Honaker 2021 would hang in with Wise or GC 

8 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Who wins: Wise v. Honaker (girls)?

2 hours ago, Elder statesman said:

Wise by 25+.  Honaker had too many turnovers in their game and wise is much better with defensive pressure.  It’s simply a different game at the 2A level.  Just like Carroll county (3A champ) beats wise by 20+.  Speed and depth increases with bigger schools.

1 hour ago, Tigerman10 said:

This year probably yes…last year not so much. Honaker 2021 would hang in with Wise or GC 

Yeah, have to remember that all 3 of Honaker's losses came to 2A teams.  Ridgeview x2 and Marion.

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Yeah, have to remember that all 3 of Honaker's losses came to 2A teams.  Ridgeview x2 and Marion.

Also have to remember the last game Honaker Played Ridgeview it was a close game And they played Marion at Marion about 10 days before Wise played Marion. They held Marion to 38 points and Wise gave up 55 points to Marion. So I’d bet it would be a good game between the 2 state champs. 

Wise wasn’t very good last year. From what I saw this season, Wise improved all season as their chemistry came together while Ridgeview really seemed to struggle after mid season.  I did not watch Marion but I would assume those games simply come down to matchups.  I just don’t see anyone on Honaker’s team that can slow down McCamis.  Dotson really gets the most out of his talent.  Even with healthy Vance I still don’t think it’s closer than 20.   As for Carroll county, I saw them 4 times this year and they are legit.  IMO Ervin is the best individual player in swva.  They are also very deep with speed and talent.  They will be favorites for 3A for next 2 years.

11 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Who wins: Wise v. Honaker (girls)?

TWHS played both and its Wise central COMFORTABLE winning by 20 to 25 points. Wise central's guard play is too much for Honaker's pressure style defense to work (They rely on this). If needed I can expand more but its not close this year, last year maybe but not this year.   

1 hour ago, Elder statesman said:

Wise wasn’t very good last year. From what I saw this season, Wise improved all season as their chemistry came together while Ridgeview really seemed to struggle after mid season.  I did not watch Marion but I would assume those games simply come down to matchups.  I just don’t see anyone on Honaker’s team that can slow down McCamis.  Dotson really gets the most out of his talent.  Even with healthy Vance I still don’t think it’s closer than 20.   As for Carroll county, I saw them 4 times this year and they are legit.  IMO Ervin is the best individual player in swva.  They are also very deep with speed and talent.  They will be favorites for 3A for next 2 years.

Lu Mclanahan is right there with McAmis athletically. Not the basketball player necessarily, but running jumping strength etc. 

Last year’s Honaker team had a lot more speed overall-this year’s version is longer for sure. 

19 hours ago, Tigerman10 said:

Lu Mclanahan is right there with McAmis athletically. Not the basketball player necessarily, but running jumping strength etc. 

Thats a lot of speed.  I have never seen a lady run like McAmis can run in track.   Shes a notch above speed wise anyone I have seen comparing them to other ladies her age.