Radford vs J. Marshall at 1pm, Auburn at 6:30

BandanaVTDavis4321

On 3/13/2022 at 4:58 AM, Jason said:

Just wonder how anyone can be proud to win using Marshals tactics?

The Marshall people seem to have no issue with it and frankly I don't know how it changes.  on the court after the game, Cormany told the VHSL head, that something needs to change and the VHSL person immediately walked away without responding.

45 minutes ago, RadCat said:

The Marshall people seem to have no issue with it and frankly I don't know how it changes.  on the court after the game, Cormany told the VHSL head, that something needs to change and the VHSL person immediately walked away without responding.

Just sad. If i were one of those John Marshall kids I wouldn’t even be proud of winning the state title. It’s like Golden State coming in to March Madness and winning it all, not impressive 

4 hours ago, JGray said:

I just watched the game and the kids at John Marshall can play. Regardless of how the team was set up, you can't take anything away from the kids. 

I agree. when QMR came through Radford, I thought he should be getting more looks from a higher level but getting to watch some of these guys up close, there is a world of difference.  Can't say enough about how talented that JM team is.

If Radford had an open enrollment and a nationally recognized AAU program (say it was called Team New River Valley) and this team had the best players from Carroll County, Pulaski, Blacksburg, Christiansburg. Etc ... ... then a  few of them move into the Radford area to go to school I’m sure Cormany would in all accounts be accused of recruiting the best players to come to Radford because the area and the school is Class 2 size yet they are producing college players every single year with lineups that go 6’3 to 6’8 and the majority of them played for their AAU team.  Maybe that’s what needs to happen.  Since John Marshall has set the precedent. Every school needs to have an open enrollment. Doesn’t matter where you live.  Go to where you want to play ball. Schools out of the Roanoke, Bristol, Lynchburg, Harrisonburg, the beach.... just load up.  Do your best LeBron and make the best super team in the history of Virginia high school sports. John Marshall does it.  What’s good for Richmond is good for the rest of the state. If the VHSL says anything just point east and say, “My dawg Ty White said it be ok.”

June 22, 2019 

“I don’t want to see no Nike bags. Only Addidas bags. You guys need to mature real fast and go get your money!   People in this thing.... They got a black card and go anywhere they want and swipe that card and don’t even have to check their balance.”  

While in June in the summer in Southwest Virginia, coaches be saying, “Hey we trying to get better.  I know some of y’all have summer jobs but I appreciate you taking the time to spend it with us.  This is where we get better for next year.”  

Class 2 basketball at its greatest baby! 

Like I said in an earlier thread, the only thing that could produce any results would be for the opponents to refuse to play.  Show up to the venue and refuse to take the court.  If you publicly embarrass the vhsl, they may do something to change the format.  

7 hours ago, BasementBaller2021 said:

If Radford had an open enrollment and a nationally recognized AAU program (say it was called Team New River Valley) and this team had the best players from Carroll County, Pulaski, Blacksburg, Christiansburg. Etc ... ... then a  few of them move into the Radford area to go to school I’m sure Cormany would in all accounts be accused of recruiting the best players to come to Radford because the area and the school is Class 2 size yet they are producing college players every single year with lineups that go 6’3 to 6’8 and the majority of them played for their AAU team.  Maybe that’s what needs to happen.  Since John Marshall has set the precedent. Every school needs to have an open enrollment. Doesn’t matter where you live.  Go to where you want to play ball. Schools out of the Roanoke, Bristol, Lynchburg, Harrisonburg, the beach.... just load up.  Do your best LeBron and make the best super team in the history of Virginia high school sports. John Marshall does it.  What’s good for Richmond is good for the rest of the state. If the VHSL says anything just point east and say, “My dawg Ty White said it be ok.”

Would Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Carroll and Pulaski county equal 250,000 thousand people, because that is what John Marshall has to work with?  They have roughly a 250,000 population in Richmond to feed from.  It's one thing if John Marshall had an open enrollment in a city like Lynchburg or even Roanoke or Danville, but it's more than that.  Richmond is close to 250,000 people.  The precident can be easily broken by the VHSL if they wanted to do it.  That rule is.......if you Coach AAU Ball, you can't coach High School or Junior High ball in the same jurisdiction of your AAU team.  One simple rule fixes that.  There is no way that the VHSL can change the City of Richmonds rule for open enrollment.  They don't have that kind of power.  They can effect who is eligible to participate in the VHSL regarding coaching, and to solve the John Marshall problem, you take away the coaching influence, the AAU Coach to John Marshall Coach connection.  The other simple rule that could be done by the VHSL in literally one day.  If you participate in the VHSL in an open enrollment city and you win a state title in that sport, you must move up 1 Division the following year in that sport, and if you win it again, you move up another Division, and when you get to Div 5 and you don't win it, you only move down one classification each year.  Not that difficult.  We put humans on the moon thousands of miles away in space.  We have microchips and artificial intelligence that can help chemically design the perfect drug for cancer.  Yes, the John Marshall problem is fixable. 

Why hasn't it been fixed?  Because of fear.  Fear of being racist.  Race has nothing to do with it, or at least it shouldn't, but our country is to the point of not doing the right when race should have no part out of fear.  Folks are so scared to be labeled "racist."  Even to the point of not doing the right thing allowing harm or bad outcomes, the provoking cultural thought of "first, make sure not to be a racist" trumps rational thought on many occasions, and again, sadly when it shouldn't even be about race, but simply doing the right thing taking race out of the equation.  

1 hour ago, Elder statesman said:

Like I said in an earlier thread, the only thing that could produce any results would be for the opponents to refuse to play.  Show up to the venue and refuse to take the court.  If you publicly embarrass the vhsl, they may do something to change the format.  

See the above post on how to fix it.  Regarding getting opponents to refuse to play, the chances are zero.   You are going to have other Class 2 teams that don't make the state title every year, and in that coaches viewpoint, this is their year for their kids and a one time shot that they will not pass up.  For right or wrong, you are going to have that mentaility.  

2 hours ago, Elder statesman said:

But it’s not really their “shot” if they have zero chance to even keep it close.  

You aren't going to convince a High School Coach that.  For example, lets say James River makes it to the state title next year, and from today until next year when they play the state title game against JM, there's a major effort to pursuade coaches to not play John Marshall.  What do you think the James River coach will do?  They haven't played for a title in over 10 years I think.  Do you think the parents at that school, the boosters are going to say" set it out".  They will say.......everyone else can set out NEXT year, but not this year, my kid is a senior and he deserves to play in the state title game, and this school hasn't done this in over a decade.  See my point?  Same thing if Union, Gate City, Greensville County, Radford made it next year.  Also, while every other Class 2 team may have put the word out to not play, the ultimate decision and fallout for not playing would rest on the school that is playing in the championship's athletic director.  He's going to play and not face that risk.  The only way not playing would work........  If you have a team that plays John Marshall 3 times in a row, for example, Radford has a good shot at that as they played in 2022, and Radford returns most of the team for 2023 and 2024.  Lets say Radford gets blown out 3 times in a row and somehow makes it to the state championship in 2025, then you could possibly see something where the Coach, AD, Principal are all on the same sheet and refuse to play.  But, if you have different teams making the title every year or 2 years to play John Marshall, then you can forget it.  OR, say Radford plays JM 3 times in a row and refuses to play them on the 4th straight trip to the Title Game.  The very following year, say Gate City or Martinsville makes the title game.  Guess what?  They are playing and the one year streak of boycotting JM just ended quickly when the new team got their opportunity to play in the Big Show.

I agree that they won’t do it.  Just saying that is the only way the vhsl would ever change things.  They don’t care if coaches complain because it’s not publicly embarrassing them.  They still get all the money and just ignore the complaints.  They have proven time and time again that they don’t care about anything other than the $$$.

9 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

They have roughly a 250,000 population in Richmond to feed from. 

The greater Richmond area has over 1.1 million residents. John Marshall is pulling in kids from a much larger area than the school district serves and any typical VHSL program should be allowed. 

17 hours ago, BasementBaller2021 said:

You guys need to mature real fast and go get your money! 

Sadly, this is what young kids are being taught across the country. Athletics are a means to an end (money/wealth). It's why we see a lack of passion at the highest levels from the majority of players in all sports. Very few top athletes compete for championships anymore. They are simply trying to accumulate wealth. 

I was in attendance at a junior golf event about a decade ago where I witnessed a dad (I assume he was the kids daddy caddie) throw a club and yell at his ~8 year old son "keep f**king around and you'll be a fat, weekend warrior like the rest of us instead of retiring your mom and dad!" 

What was the egregious error this kid made to set his dad off? He left an approach 3 yards short on an elevated green. The ball wasn't able to hold the slope and rolled down about 15 yards into a collection area. It was only about a 100 yard shot but the kids was only about 8 years old. He was probably hitting a 7-iron. 

On 3/14/2022 at 8:05 AM, RadCat said:

vhsl will do nothing,  they will stay away from any controversy.  the vhsl has shown they want no legal fights and will not do anything that will require them to have to face any legal challenges,   the vhsl is about money and how much they can make,  they care nothing about the kids, what is right, fairness or equal competition..  it is time for them to be replaced

48 minutes ago, JGray said:

How many of the kids from John Marshall basketball team are there that don't live in the school zone? 

I can't speak to the entire roster but I know for a fact Dennis Parker Jr. lives in the Jacobs Road area of Chesterfield, which is the opposite side of the city from John Marshall and not even in Richmond proper. Look up the difference in location of John Marshall High and Jacobs Road Elementary School on Google Maps. Parker currently has offers from LSU, NC State, Kansas, Ole Miss, Penn State, Rutgers, VCU, and Xavier. 

Steve Stinson attended Trinity Episcopal prior to this season. Trinity is located near Midlothian and not remotely close to the John Marshall school district. Stinson currently has offers from Robert Morris, ETSU, Ohio, VT, and VCU. 

Those are the two most difficult to hide based on their recruiting stature. 

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

I was in attendance at a junior golf event about a decade ago where I witnessed a dad (I assume he was the kids daddy caddie) throw a club and yell at his ~8 year old son "keep f**king around and you'll be a fat, weekend warrior like the rest of us instead of retiring your mom and dad!" 

What was the egregious error this kid made to set his dad off? He left an approach 3 yards short on an elevated green. The ball wasn't able to hold the slope and rolled down about 15 yards into a collection area. It was only about a 100 yard shot but the kids was only about 8 years old. He was probably hitting a 7-iron. 

What a pathetic excuse for a father that child has.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

I can't speak to the entire roster but I know for a fact Dennis Parker Jr. lives in the Jacobs Road area of Chesterfield, which is the opposite side of the city from John Marshall and not even in Richmond proper. Look up the difference in location of John Marshall High and Jacobs Road Elementary School on Google Maps. Parker currently has offers from LSU, NC State, Kansas, Ole Miss, Penn State, Rutgers, VCU, and Xavier. 

Steve Stinson attended Trinity Episcopal prior to this season. Trinity is located near Midlothian and not remotely close to the John Marshall school district. Stinson currently has offers from Robert Morris, ETSU, Ohio, VT, and VCU. 

Those are the two most difficult to hide based on their recruiting stature. 

I got you. None of this is new to me being that I coach high school ball here in Charlotte. I understand how all of this works as it goes on here in the city every year. Some schools here have a bigger AAU influence that others and some schools have great coaches that have built their programs up over the years so kids tend to gravitate towards those schools. Some schools have MAGNET programs so they can get kids from other parts of the city to attend there schools by getting them into those programs. North Meck, West Charlotte, J. Chambers (Vance), and Ardrey Kell are usually good each year so they get most of the talent as far as public schools go. Of course there are plenty of kids throughout the city being that we have 19 public schools in the city.

6 minutes ago, JGray said:

I got you. None of this is new to me being that I coach high school ball here in Charlotte. I understand how all of this works as it goes on here in the city every year. Some schools here have a bigger AAU influence that others and some schools have great coaches that have built their programs up over the years so kids tend to gravitate towards those schools. Some schools have MAGNET programs so they can get kids from other parts of the city to attend there schools by getting them into those programs. North Meck, West Charlotte, J. Chambers (Vance), and Ardrey Kell are usually good each year so they get most of the talent as far as public schools go. Of course there are plenty of kids throughout the city being that we have 19 public schools in the city.

My brother lives in Cornelius. His kids go to Hough. I'm very familiar with the CharMech politics in play with high school sports. 

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

What a pathetic excuse for a father that child has.

I had to stop going to junior golf tournaments. It's infuriating! The kid's dad is still around this area. I see him from time to time. The kid is an adult now and hasn't been back to this area since leaving for college. Can't say I blame him but it sucks for his mom, I guess. She doesn't deserve to be ghosted by her son because her son can't stand to be near his dad. Then again, she could have stepped in and put a stop to it years ago!

On a positive note, most of these tournaments have local rules in place now that forbid a parent from caddying or even going "under the ropes" onto the golf course. 

If I live in the Richmond area and I am a good AAU baller, and my friends that I play AAU with go to John Marshall and my AAU coach has ties to John Marshall, and considering Richmond has open enrollment, then I am for dang sure going to attend John Marshall to be around my friends and the program that I am with in the summer, and now able to be around that program in winter.  I can't blame any young JM player or parent.  I would do the same and it's actually very smart to send your kid to JM, if he's a good baller and has next level ability.    It really comes down to fair competition which is one of the goals of the VHSL, or at least trying to make it where competition is fair.  John Marshall should be made to play up a couple of levels as long as they are winning titles and competing in an open enrollment city.  The same applies to any other school in the state of Virginia that competes in an open enrollment city and wins a title in ANYTHING, girl's basketball, forensics, etc.  You compete in an open enrollment city and win a state title, the next year you move up 1 to 2 levels of competition in that sport.   John Marshall is well coached and solid players and they could have won the Title this year Arguably at the Class 6 level.  They would have been in the mix.  They are fun to watch.