Bland Co.

44cov3

Anyone heard if Bland has hired a new coach? The program made it back most of the season last year after being off for a year....and now the head job is open again.  If they want the program to survive and not be year to year they would put some effort into finding someone and find them very soon.

I haven't heard anything on the coaching front. I have been hearing for a while, they are trying to get out of the MED. Not sure if it's just rumor but it's been making the rounds for over a year now.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

I haven't heard anything on the coaching front. I have been hearing for a while, they are trying to get out of the MED. Not sure if it's just rumor but it's been making the rounds for over a year now.

Think the med part is true...or at least I've heard it a few times

If they’re thinking about leaving the Mt. Empire, then they really have only one choice.  Hogoheegee competition, might as well stay in The Mt. Empire.  Pioneer, competition, maybe a notch lower overall but long road trips.  The Black Diamond, Hurley would be longest road trip, could probably compete with Hurley, Council, and Twin Valley in most sports.

In my opinion, the MED is much tougher from top to bottom than the Hogoheegee. Not trying to slight anyone but Galax and George Wythe are on a different level than anyone in the Hogoheegee right now. Grayson can be with the new coaching staff and newfound community support. 

I'm not suggesting the Hogoheegee is where Bland wants to be. I have no idea. I'm just saying, Bland can't compete in the MED right now and they have beaten Hogo teams the past few seasons. 

Is Hayes one of the assistants that quit in the middle of last season? Not bashing, sometimes things happen, but a strange hire to give it to someone that quit on the program in the middle of a season. 

2 hours ago, Bluebird said:

If you were to get 4 or 5 schools in this area that would be willing to play eight man football it might help our some of the smaller schools.  

I've said that for some time. Idk about the Bland area but EKY/far SWVA, maybe NET. A totally independent league could work

Galax started 8-man football within the sandlot ranks over a decade ago. I believe the results speak for themselves. What we saw was an almost immediate increase in participation in sandlot football. Kids are more apt to keep playing as the get older if they aren't buried on a roster of 25 kids. We distributed players as evenly as we could and formed as many teams as numbers would allow while trying to have only two back-ups per roster. It's easier to accommodate considering Galax Recreation Department teams only play other Galax Recreation Department teams. If a team is short a player, they can borrow from the other team. It takes a bit of community support. Parents aren't going to be able to brag to coworkers from Carroll or Grayson about winning a sandlot game. But the benefits are evident when you look at greater participation within the varsity ranks. Kids are sticking with football longer because they don't get bored and move on to something else. Kids are also getting to play more and longer from a young age by limiting rosters and keeping age groups together. 

Another interesting point we found, Carroll and Grayson made fun of us for making this change. The common phrase heard around the community was "how are you going to get bad habits out when these kids have to learn how to play with three more people on the field?" I think it's worked out pretty well for Galax!

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Galax started 8-man football within the sandlot ranks over a decade ago. I believe the results speak for themselves. What we saw was an almost immediate increase in participation in sandlot football. Kids are more apt to keep playing as the get older if they aren't buried on a roster of 25 kids. We distributed players as evenly as we could and formed as many teams as numbers would allow while trying to have only two back-ups per roster. It's easier to accommodate considering Galax Recreation Department teams only play other Galax Recreation Department teams. If a team is short a player, they can borrow from the other team. It takes a bit of community support. Parents aren't going to be able to brag to coworkers from Carroll or Grayson about winning a sandlot game. But the benefits are evident when you look at greater participation within the varsity ranks. Kids are sticking with football longer because they don't get bored and move on to something else. Kids are also getting to play more and longer from a young age by limiting rosters and keeping age groups together. 

Another interesting point we found, Carroll and Grayson made fun of us for making this change. The common phrase heard around the community was "how are you going to get bad habits out when these kids have to learn how to play with three more people on the field?" I think it's worked out pretty well for Galax!

I would say this is something Dickenson County should look at when the elementary schools move to Ridgeview!