favorite in the southwest district and pre-season stand out players to watch?

Unscoutable12

My kind-of biased opinion.

To be the man, you’ve gotta beat the man.  Graham is the man on the block until someone knocks the G-Men off.  They return a healthy compliment of players, both in terms of size and speed, from last year’s team.  The questions there: (1) Can Meadows the Younger succeed at the QB position and (2) Can Graham find someone to compliment Clements in the backfield?  Graham improves throughout the season like few others.  However, Graham does tend to play a little haggard early on.  Beware Week 2.

The 2nd/3rd spots may well be decided in Week 1 when Virginia High visits Tazewell.  There’s tons of speed all over the field.  Poku and Thomas the Younger.  Harris and McDonald.  Line play will be the question.  

I’ve got Richlands slotted 4th.  However, Richlands does have the best kicker in the SWD by far in Isaiah Bandy.  That’ll keep them in games and make them a viable threat as they seek to replace some key pieces at QB and along the lines.  

Marion looks like 5th for now.  There is some talent coming up, and a new coaching staff should change the culture there.  I think the dividends are a couple years off, though.

A couple Tazewell players to watch:

(1) Cassius Harris.  He’s well within striking distance of the all-time VHSL reception record (84 away).  Given that he set the all-time single season record last year, presuming he stays healthy, expect that to fall.

(2) Carter Creasy.  In my mind, the best QB in Region 2D right now.  He was 13 yards shy of 3000 in his freshman season, and that’s also a pace that would obliterate the VHSL all-time passing record.  With the talent he has returning, he may make an assault on the single season record also, presuming he stays healthy.

Don't know much about some of the others, but for Graham, definitely TyDrez Clements.  I think Omari Hill will be another excellent lineman to come through Graham.  

For Tazewell, I definitely agree with Creasy and Harris.  I'm interested to see how Kaizon Taylor does and Logan McDonald, also.  There are a few more that were freshmen last season, Noel, Hall and a couple more that I'm interested to see how they have developed.  Bulldogs should be fun to watch.  

As for favorites to win the district:

1) Graham - very strong and athletic team returning - they are living in the weight room.

2) Tazewell - lot of speed and talent

3) V-High - speed and talent as well

4) Richlands - don't know much about, but seem to be going through a bit of a down-spell

5) Marion - young - but could pull an upset or 2.

2 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

Here we go with our yearly,  "It's Tazewell's year!" nonsense again...

I am with you on this Tazewell will only beat the teams there supposed to be the others well they get smashed.

17 hours ago, BKFootball said:

I am with you on this Tazewell will only beat the teams there supposed to be the others well they get smashed.

Richlands will be one of those teams they are "supposed to beat" this year, so thats good.  

I am a fan of all county teams when they are not playing each other.  I think Tazewell will be very good.  I think Richlands will suffer through a few sub par seasons.   

I give the edge to Graham, Riverheads and Bluefield against the Dawgs, but like their chances against everybody else on their schedule.  Most teams will get "smashed" by those 3. 

On 4/27/2022 at 11:47 AM, UVAObserver said:

My kind-of biased opinion.

To be the man, you’ve gotta beat the man.  Graham is the man on the block until someone knocks the G-Men off.  They return a healthy compliment of players, both in terms of size and speed, from last year’s team.  The questions there: (1) Can Meadows the Younger succeed at the QB position and (2) Can Graham find someone to compliment Clements in the backfield?  Graham improves throughout the season like few others.  However, Graham does tend to play a little haggard early on.  Beware Week 2.

The 2nd/3rd spots may well be decided in Week 1 when Virginia High visits Tazewell.  There’s tons of speed all over the field.  Poku and Thomas the Younger.  Harris and McDonald.  Line play will be the question.  

I’ve got Richlands slotted 4th.  However, Richlands does have the best kicker in the SWD by far in Isaiah Bandy.  That’ll keep them in games and make them a viable threat as they seek to replace some key pieces at QB and along the lines.  

Marion looks like 5th for now.  There is some talent coming up, and a new coaching staff should change the culture there.  I think the dividends are a couple years off, though.

A couple Tazewell players to watch:

(1) Cassius Harris.  He’s well within striking distance of the all-time VHSL reception record (84 away).  Given that he set the all-time single season record last year, presuming he stays healthy, expect that to fall.

(2) Carter Creasy.  In my mind, the best QB in Region 2D right now.  He was 13 yards shy of 3000 in his freshman season, and that’s also a pace that would obliterate the VHSL all-time passing record.  With the talent he has returning, he may make an assault on the single season record also, presuming he stays healthy.

Creasy will have a few receivers other than Harris to target this upcoming season, you mentioned McDonald, who will have good size and speed. TE Brock Alley, WR's Chase Noel and Talan Hall will step up to be dangerous receiving threats.  The RB's will be good with a very athletic Kaizon Taylor leading the way.  Not a lot of depth for the Bulldogs, but very solid starting lineup.  Defensively, they have a few question marks, but some of the same playmakers on offense will also be playmakers on defense.  Couple of impressive looking freshmen coming up too that may get a little playing time.  

Graham will be a physical team and will have a lot of strength and enough athleticism to be favored against anybody they play this fall.

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Creasy will have a few receivers other than Harris to target this upcoming season, you mentioned McDonald, who will have good size and speed. TE Brock Alley, WR's Chase Noel and Talan Hall will step up to be dangerous receiving threats.  The RB's will be good with a very athletic Kaizon Taylor leading the way.  Not a lot of depth for the Bulldogs, but very solid starting lineup.  Defensively, they have a few question marks, but some of the same playmakers on offense will also be playmakers on defense.  Couple of impressive looking freshmen coming up too that may get a little playing time.  

Graham will be a physical team and will have a lot of strength and enough athleticism to be favored against anybody they play this fall.

Real Sasq, I am sure you know more about the SWD and Bluefield than I do, but favoring Graham over Bluefield?  What will the prevailing opinions be in the Bluefields on the favorite in this game? Based on what I have read on here from last year and this year from what fans say the lose and return, it suggests to me (from a distance) that this will be a tossup game.  Now, I know it often is and the history and stuff, but it has sounded to me like these two are going to be evenly matched regarding ready-available talent on the field. 

What are your thoughts?

Also, Richlands. Does anyone know what the Blues lost on the line of scrimmage? I know the QB and Webb are big at the skilled positions, but what do the Blues have from tackle to tackle returning/lost?

15 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Real Sasq, I am sure you know more about the SWD and Bluefield than I do, but favoring Graham over Bluefield?  What will the prevailing opinions be in the Bluefields on the favorite in this game? Based on what I have read on here from last year and this year from what fans say the lose and return, it suggests to me (from a distance) that this will be a tossup game.  Now, I know it often is and the history and stuff, but it has sounded to me like these two are going to be evenly matched regarding ready-available talent on the field. 

What are your thoughts?

Also, Richlands. Does anyone know what the Blues lost on the line of scrimmage? I know the QB and Webb are big at the skilled positions, but what do the Blues have from tackle to tackle returning/lost?

Graham has lived in the weight room and will be very strong on the line of scrimmage again.  I think Graham will be a more physical ball club than Bluefield and that will be the difference in the Bluefield game.  Graham man-handled Bluefield at the line of scrimmage last season and I don't see that changing much this year.  Graham will also be very strong at the linebacker position and will have speed at the corners.  I think the Isabelle kid will be a special talent at Linebacker before all is said and done.  Usually the defense is ahead of the offense early on and I think Graham's defense returns a lot of talent. Ordinarily I lean towards Bluefield, because they usually have the edge in speed and talent.  Graham is super focused and despite losing 3 outstanding players, they return a ton of talent.  Clements looks a bit bigger and stronger at RB.  Connor Roberts and Omarri Hill will be terrors on that D-Line.

On 5/1/2022 at 8:30 PM, cityofRaven said:

What exactly am I jealous of again?

If we're just talking about this spring, then probably baseball, softball, girls soccer and track....  But, I get what you are saying, this is the football message board after all.

5 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

If we're just talking about this spring, then probably baseball, softball, girls soccer and track....  But, I get what you are saying, this is the football message board after all.

Ouch.  He did ask, though.  Richlands seems to be in a rough patch after the softball title a few years ago.  Not sure why they aren’t more competitive in the other sports.

33 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Ouch.  He did ask, though.  Richlands seems to be in a rough patch after the softball title a few years ago.  Not sure why they aren’t more competitive in the other sports.

Schools this size go through rough patches, they all do from time to time.  I think their softball team is actually pretty decent.  Their track team finished next to last in a 14 team field this past weekend though.   Tazewell is just blessed to have a very good softball team this year and a good baseball team and good girls soccer team.  Graham's boys soccer seems to be doing very well right now.  I don't know if Graham has even fielded a track team this year, I never hear anything about them.  Also, Tazewell didn't have enough to continue with their boys soccer season.  I think you will see Tazewell's softball team make a good run at it this year and I do believe that the track team will have a couple more state titles added to the list.  The track team had 3 or 4 individual state titles last spring too. 

10 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Harris from Tazewell has had a couple of visits to Virginia Tech.  One of Tech's coaches visited him today.  He is gaining a lot of interest as of late.

Very glad to see the Hokies looking in this direction.  Even if he doesn't get the offer, which I hope he does and more, nice to see attention to SWVA by the local big name school.

On 5/5/2022 at 4:31 PM, Real Sasquatch said:

JV Soccer beat them twice as well.

9 hours ago, V-Cats said:

Cassius Harris has the potential to be the best WR in SWVA history

Grayson County product Chris Shreve was an absolute standout at VT and played for the Green Bay Packers. 

Pulaski County product Gary Clark was a star at James Madison and played 12 seasons in he NFL.

JJ Kelly product Carroll Dale was a star at VT and played 14 years in the NFL.

On 5/17/2022 at 11:07 PM, V-Cats said:

Cassius Harris has the potential to be the best WR in SWVA history & Creasy had an outstanding freshman campaign

On 5/18/2022 at 8:09 AM, sixcat said:

JJ Kelly product Carroll Dale was a star at VT and played 14 years in the NFL.

Advantage: sixcat

• 1 month later...

On 5/23/2022 at 8:31 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

Advantage: sixcat

Gary Clark of Pulaski County and James Madision University was a two time Super Bowl Champion for the Washington Redskins as part of the "fun bunch", who played 1 season in the USFL and 11 seasons in the NFL..  He was the first player in NFL history to catch at least 50 passes in his first 10 NFL seasons.  He was a 4 time Pro - Bowl selection and a 3 time All - Pro selection.  He led the Skins in receptions for 7 seasons.