Sports Complex coming to Tazewell.

Looks as if an indoor sports complex is coming to Tazewell at the old McCann's auto lot.  Looking at the plans, it appears that there will be 6 basketball courts, an indoor track (great news for county schools and their indoor track teams).  Also, possibly a soccer field and batting cages (didn't see that in the diagrams, but it has been talked about).  This will be great for the local economy.  It could host AAU and regional indoor track and field events.  A lot of potential for growth and should be a positive for the local economy there in Tazewell.  Could spawn a new hotel or two / restaurants.  Can't wait to see how this project develops.  There are some good things happening in our area, with the salmon farm, the housing materials plant in Bluefield and still the possibility of a hydro-electric facility.  Now, if we could just get something to move into the Bluestone.  That would be a great site for out-door recreation, if you ask me... With all of the interest in 4-wheeling, there could be some camping sites, RV park,  cabins, zip-lines, a restaurant or two with axe throwing or cornhole,  general store, etc... it could be turned into a four wheeler retreat if they put in some riding trails, hiking trails, putt-putt, go-cart track a swimming pool / water park.  The locals would eat that up, much less travelers.  I would market it out to investors as a potential recreational retreat.  I believe that's the route the county should take with that land up there.  

work has already began on the sports complex.  we hold our summer farmers market there on that lot and we have had to move to the upper end for this year,   buildings have been demolished,  equipment is on site.   looks like a great thing for tazewell,   too bad there is nothing else there

2 hours ago, stantheman said:

work has already began on the sports complex.  we hold our summer farmers market there on that lot and we have had to move to the upper end for this year,   buildings have been demolished,  equipment is on site.   looks like a great thing for tazewell,   too bad there is nothing else there

Hopefully, there will be a couple of hotels and restaurants spawn up around that area, around any of the Tazewell exits.

• 4 months later...
On 5/7/2022 at 11:25 PM, Real Sasquatch said:

Looks as if an indoor sports complex is coming to Tazewell at the old McCann's auto lot.  Looking at the plans, it appears that there will be 6 basketball courts, an indoor track (great news for county schools and their indoor track teams).  Also, possibly a soccer field and batting cages (didn't see that in the diagrams, but it has been talked about).  This will be great for the local economy.  It could host AAU and regional indoor track and field events.  A lot of potential for growth and should be a positive for the local economy there in Tazewell.  Could spawn a new hotel or two / restaurants.  Can't wait to see how this project develops.  There are some good things happening in our area, with the salmon farm, the housing materials plant in Bluefield and still the possibility of a hydro-electric facility.  Now, if we could just get something to move into the Bluestone.  That would be a great site for out-door recreation, if you ask me... With all of the interest in 4-wheeling, there could be some camping sites, RV park,  cabins, zip-lines, a restaurant or two with axe throwing or cornhole,  general store, etc... it could be turned into a four wheeler retreat if they put in some riding trails, hiking trails, putt-putt, go-cart track a swimming pool / water park.  The locals would eat that up, much less travelers.  I would market it out to investors as a potential recreational retreat.  I believe that's the route the county should take with that land up there.  

Putting in disc golf course at Bluestone...that'll draw in more things.  Also, someone just opened a disc golf shop not far from there just west of the Stop-In on 460.  To be honest, I am a bit excited by both.  As long as they keep the 4-wheelers out...they do nothing but destroy the environment in their vicinity. Besides, there are more than enough trails in Pocahontas and over the line into WV.  Town of Bluefield already owns two swimming pools, neither of which get used to their full extent.

As for the ISC at the McCann lot...all's shitz and giggles until the next big rain event that puts that lot 3 feet under water.  I can't see anyone wasting money like that, not even Tazewell County.

On 9/16/2022 at 6:22 PM, GMan said:

Putting in disc golf course at Bluestone...that'll draw in more things.  Also, someone just opened a disc golf shop not far from there just west of the Stop-In on 460.  To be honest, I am a bit excited by both.  As long as they keep the 4-wheelers out...they do nothing but destroy the environment in their vicinity. Besides, there are more than enough trails in Pocahontas and over the line into WV.  Town of Bluefield already owns two swimming pools, neither of which get used to their full extent.

As for the ISC at the McCann lot...all's shitz and giggles until the next big rain event that puts that lot 3 feet under water.  I can't see anyone wasting money like that, not even Tazewell County.

Many of the people in Abbs Valley and Pocahontas do not like the 4 wheelers. I can't say that I blame them. They destroy the property and run all hours of the night. 

On 9/16/2022 at 6:22 PM, GMan said:

I can't speak for my bosses, but I'd be knocked off my rocker if ATVs were ever permitted in the Bluestone.  Now, there will be disc golf and hiking trails, and I'd suspect mountain biking trails at some point down the line.  That property is being developed very carefully.

As for the ISC, there needs to be substantially more lodging and dining for that to work as envisioned.  You can host a million AAU tournaments, but families aren't driving from Norfolk to stay at the Fincastle Motor Inn and eat at Hardee's.