College Offers

BuckUp

5 hours ago, Hokies1977 said:

Graham hasn’t left the kid alone since the minute he enrolled in bluefield 😂😂😂

a kid doesn’t just decide to transfer to a team with a returning all state running back in hopes for more playing time, he was encouraged. That’s why Clements was playing slot at the 7on7 last week.

Call a spade a space, friend. 

Negative recruiting is a real thing and those who don’t think so are a bit naive.  Palmer is all in to improve his team…. As long as it’s legal.  

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

Negative recruiting is a real thing and those who don’t think so are a bit naive.  Palmer is all in to improve his team…. As long as it’s legal.  

The real question is: Why are coaches even “recruiting” at all?  

By the letter of the law, so long as the kids’ addresses change by virtue of the parents’ move, the kids are allowed to play immediately, without penalty.  However, far more families in this area rent than own their homes.  The rental market is so robust that it’s simple to jaunt across the boundary lines at will. This leads to situations where Richlands (circa 2010) becomes little more than the Coalfield All-Stars and where Graham (circa today) becomes little more than the Southern West Virginia All-Stars.

It’s a juicy ethical question whether or not coaches should induce families to make those sorts of moves solely for the purposes of sport.  I come down as a hard NO on it for a multitude of reasons. I would love to see the VHSL come down hard in imposing transfer limits upon kids.  Absent a written petition and exception made by the VHSL, beginning with a child’s 6th grade year, a 1st transfer should result in the loss of 2 months’ participation in sport.  A 2nd or subsequent transfer should result in the loss of 2 consecutive semesters participation in sport.  

At some point, the tail has to stop wagging the dog.

Parents call coaches, administrators, etc., looking to get their kid into a winning program.

Social media is a tool too. Kids meet playing travel and keep in contact then beg others to come to their school.

Parents get mad at coaches, be it game planning, favoritism, playing time, and decide to look at other schools. 

All are reasons I have witnessed first hand as to why kids have transferred.

5 hours ago, T8KNDookeez said:

When you say "Graham hasn't left the kid alone.."  Put a name on it!

Who has been trying to get the kid? 

Why wouldn't Bluefield use him in the slot if they were set at RB??

Don't come on here and try to smear a HC! I ASSURE YOU, WHATEVER YOU THINK WENT DOWN, IS INACCURATE.

Agree.  The kid already lives in Bluefield, VA.  Did somebody from Bluefield, WV encourage him to go there? (Just kidding of course).   

I am all for kids being able move and play instantly, or rent and play instantly as long as they are very good football players and...... they move to Pearisburg.  If they move from Pearisburg to another rival school, or if any kid moves to a rival school and they are a good player, then I am against it!  They should have to set for 2 years.  

3 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

The real question is: Why are coaches even “recruiting” at all?  

By the letter of the law, so long as the kids’ addresses change by virtue of the parents’ move, the kids are allowed to play immediately, without penalty.  However, far more families in this area rent than own their homes.  The rental market is so robust that it’s simple to jaunt across the boundary lines at will. This leads to situations where Richlands (circa 2010) becomes little more than the Coalfield All-Stars and where Graham (circa today) becomes little more than the Southern West Virginia All-Stars.

It’s a juicy ethical question whether or not coaches should induce families to make those sorts of moves solely for the purposes of sport.  I come down as a hard NO on it for a multitude of reasons. I would love to see the VHSL come down hard in imposing transfer limits upon kids.  Absent a written petition and exception made by the VHSL, beginning with a child’s 6th grade year, a 1st transfer should result in the loss of 2 months’ participation in sport.  A 2nd or subsequent transfer should result in the loss of 2 consecutive semesters participation in sport.  

At some point, the tail has to stop wagging the dog.

With the good comes the bad. Multiple kids in Bluefield move across state lines in every grade, every year. There isn’t a lot to do in this area and having them sit out sports for even a couple of months could be detrimental to  a kid who has no control over the situation. It’s the same as area teams holding players back for football. Sure, you could make a rule addressing it but you going to be punishing a lot of kids also.

You guys act like this kid the second coming of Ahmad Bradshaw or something. First he was not a true freshman last year. He was reclassed at least once while down at GW his 8th grade year. should be at least a junior. second, if he is this good Freddy Simmons has to be fired!! The guys has won how many state titles but for some reason could not see this talent he had on the bench?  he could not find a way to get him on the field in the slot or with two RB formation? Freddy must be slipping or maybe he knows something that none of us knows. Bluefield will not miss a beat without him. #Beavers!!!!! 

1 hour ago, Gfan said:

With the good comes the bad. Multiple kids in Bluefield move across state lines in every grade, every year. There isn’t a lot to in this area and having them sit out sports for even a couple of months could be detrimental to  a kid who has no control over the situation. It’s the same as area teams holding players back for football. Sure, you could make a rule addressing it but you going to be punishing a lot of kids also.

Exactly.  And there are a lot of non-athletes who have changed schools by moving across state lines.  Bluefield,WV and Va are basically one community.  Moving across town in most places is equivalent to crossing the state line in Bluefield.  It is going to happen.  I have moved across the state line myself.  There are numerous non-athletes that transfer from Mercer and McDowell Counties each year to Tazewell County and Vice Versa.  

1 hour ago, FootballGal4 said:

The rumor I heard was that several kids were interested in coming to Graham because Graham coaches  helps kids get recruited to colleges better. Again, that is just the rumor I heard. 

The coaches at Graham are top notch, some NFL experience, first class strength training and conditioning and coaches that go above and beyond to get their kids noticed by colleges.  I think 7 of the 9 seniors that graduated last year got a scholarship or a partial scholarship to play football anywhere from Bluefield State College to Virginia Tech and parts in between. 

I'm sure other coaches in the area go to bat for their kids as well. One thing is for sure, a lot of scouts will have their eyes on the G-men this year and it could get other kids noticed.

Tazewell will have a lot of eyes on Harris and Creasy and I believe there will be a couple more kids down there get noticed as well.  

Bluefield will no doubt have eyes on Hairston as well.  Hairston is a dynamic athlete that could play a few different positions at the next level.  

We have truly been blessed in this area lately with the amount of talent on the field and it seems that our area is starting to get more attention.

50 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

The coaches at Graham are top notch, some NFL experience, first class strength training and conditioning and coaches that go above and beyond to get their kids noticed by colleges.  I think 7 of the 9 seniors that graduated last year got a scholarship or a partial scholarship to play football anywhere from Bluefield State College to Virginia Tech and parts in between. 

I'm sure other coaches in the area go to bat for their kids as well. One thing is for sure, a lot of scouts will have their eyes on the G-men this year and it could get other kids noticed.

Tazewell will have a lot of eyes on Harris and Creasy and I believe there will be a couple more kids down there get noticed as well.  

Bluefield will no doubt have eyes on Hairston as well.  Hairston is a dynamic athlete that could play a few different positions at the next level.  

We have truly been blessed in this area lately with the amount of talent on the field and it seems that our area is starting to get more attention.

I agree on the talent, but I think it has always been there to an extent in this area. I'm not saying we are South Florida, but I believe the recently increased talent and kids in the area playing college is largely due to interconnectivity of society. From internet, recruiting videos, NFHS and live streaming, social media, and massively increased interaction of players from different schools and coaches at summer camps, 7 on 7s, the ability with one click to sell yourself to a recruiter at Liberty or Wake Forest, etc, has basically Included SWVA into the mix and brought it out of years of isolation.

Kids in the past got "missed" by recruiters everywhere, all over the country and it happens, but I still believe SWVA is one of those few regions in the country where kids got missed on at higher rates (per capita) than the overwhelming majority of other regions in the country. Technology has changed that. Could this be just a half decade or so of good luck? We will find out. I don't think it drops off. This will be the norm in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...