7 on 7

Gridiron60

15 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Good. Scored at will when the big guns were in there.  If their Oline does it’s job, I’m not sure how you’re gonna defend those WRs with that QB.  They may be best WR core in the state on several different classifications and they are big…all three are between 6’ and 6’3…athletic and can catch. And the O’Quinn looks a lot bigger than last year….really filled out.  The Hill and Counts kids both scored and looked good and the Beavers kid scored several times….took the top off even with them playing 10-12 yards off.  You can’t double that kid this year, they’ll kill you elsewhere.

I think that if that bunch can stay healthy they will be tough to deal with 

21 minutes ago, Counts said:

I think that if that bunch can stay healthy they will be tough to deal with 

Those 3 WRs are top notch, if they can find some balance in the run game  and if the OL can get it done in pass pro they will be almost impossible to stop.

25 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

If Bunch is back as the starting QB, Unions gonna have to answer some tough questions about how he is still eligible. Pretty positive he was a senior last year.

He was.  To the Union folks out there. Who is looking like the starting QB?  

58 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

I read on here a while back during last season that Union has/had a freshmen last year who was very talented and one Bears fan wrote he will end up being better than Bunch. If I recall correctly, he will be a sophomore this season, but don't qoute me on that. 

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

I've heard there is a good chance it'll end up Rayshawn Anderson, the backup last year. If that's the case, I'd expect way more designed QB runs, he's an excellent athlete and will need time to develop more into a pocket passer.

Emory & Henry 7 on 7 Teams and Results

Ashe County, NC

Bassett

Honaker

Patrick Henry 

Union

Graham

Richlands

Va High

Lakeway Christian

Northside

Radford

Fort Chiswell

1st Round

5 Radford beat 12 Fort Chiswell

6 Union beat 11 Northside

7 Lakeway Christian beat 10 Ashe Co.

9 Richlands beat 8 Patrick Henry 

Quarterfinals and 

1 Va High beat 9 Richlands

2 Bassett beat 7 Lakeway Christian

6 Union beat 3 Graham

5 Radford beat 4 Honaker 

Semifinals

5 Radford beat 1 Va High

2 Bassett beat 6 Union

Finals

2 Bassett beat 5 Radford 

On 6/23/2022 at 12:15 PM, BigWinners said:

If Bunch is back as the starting QB, Unions gonna have to answer some tough questions about how he is still eligible. Pretty positive he was a senior last year.

I think @Counts was referring to "that bunch" as the Ridgeview OL, not the former Union QB.  😄

12 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I think @Counts was referring to "that bunch" as the Ridgeview OL, not the former Union QB.  😄

Yeah I know, it was a quickly and not very well constructed joke. 

I'd be shocked if any 2D team besides RV wins the M7. If they do, it's a pretty big fail for the Pack. Can't waste this group of talented athletes, doesn't come around every cycle. 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

Yeah I know, it was a quickly and not very well constructed joke. 

I'd be shocked if any 2D team besides RV wins the M7. If they do, it's a pretty big fail for the Pack. Can't waste this group of talented athletes, doesn't come around every cycle. 

Prevailing thought in a lot of places is that the coaching staff and program is the weakness.  Curious question:  How would you rank the coaching staffs in the M7 or Region 2D?  Does anyone have RV staff as a top 3 staff in the Region?  Heck May not be too 3 in M7 (Abingdon and Union are both ahead). 

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

Prevailing thought in a lot of places is that the coaching staff and program is the weakness.  Curious question:  How would you rank the coaching staffs in the M7 or Region 2D?  Does anyone have RV staff as a top 3 staff in the Region?  Heck May not be too 3 in M7 (Abingdon and Union are both ahead). 

I don't tbh. I don't mean it as an insult but I do not believe the staff at RV has done a great job showcasing their best attributes and scheming for each team. I've been critical of the Union offense at times but they have done a much better job overall of building a team and playing to their strengths compared to RV. 

the game RV lost against Union in Adkins' last season was, to be honest, one of the poorer coaching games I've seen in a while. Still stands out years later. The staff is not the same but it speaks to the overall uncertainty and disarray in Clintwood. If RV doesn't throw the ball 30+ times a game against their tougher opponents, it'll blow my mind. There's zero reason why they shouldn't average 40 ppg and be the clear best 2D team in M7. I'm not sure the M7 has seen a team with this much passing talent ever. Even the best Union offenses or Abingdon offenses didn't have so many weapons on the edges with such a proficient QB. I think there is considerable pressure on RV this year and if they lose 2+ games and aren't competitive with the SWD winner, it'll be a clear disappointment. Union is in transition, Wise has to replace a lot, Graham lost a lot of talent, Richlands in transition, Tazwell still building, this is the prime situation for RV. With that kind of talent, you should be able to cover for any weakness on the OK with quick throws and such and still beat most teams around here.

I'll end with this: if Graham (or even Union) returned the firepower RV brings back, there would be legit pressure to be in a state title game at least. 

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

I don't tbh. I don't mean it as an insult but I do not believe the staff at RV has done a great job showcasing their best attributes and scheming for each team. I've been critical of the Union offense at times but they have done a much better job overall of building a team and playing to their strengths compared to RV. 

the game RV lost against Union in Adkins' last season was, to be honest, one of the poorer coaching games I've seen in a while. Still stands out years later. The staff is not the same but it speaks to the overall uncertainty and disarray in Clintwood. If RV doesn't throw the ball 30+ times a game against their tougher opponents, it'll blow my mind. There's zero reason why they shouldn't average 40 ppg and be the clear best 2D team in M7. I'm not sure the M7 has seen a team with this much passing talent ever. Even the best Union offenses or Abingdon offenses didn't have so many weapons on the edges with such a proficient QB. I think there is considerable pressure on RV this year and if they lose 2+ games and aren't competitive with the SWD winner, it'll be a clear disappointment. Union is in transition, Wise has to replace a lot, Graham lost a lot of talent, Richlands in transition, Tazwell still building, this is the prime situation for RV. With that kind of talent, you should be able to cover for any weakness on the OK with quick throws and such and still beat most teams around here.

EDIT: forgot my rankings, but they would go Abingdon and Union at the top, with GC and RV being a step down and possibly including Wise there but there's uncertainty there too. 

I'll end with this: if Graham (or even Union) returned the firepower RV brings back, there would be legit pressure to be in a state title game at least. 

15 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Dead period for the next 2 weeks, then things will start ramping up in the middle of July.  Just 5 weeks until 2 a days start.  Football is almost here friends.

VHSL Dead Period for this summer is July 3rd-July 9th.

17 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I agree.  There is an impending sense of “How will they shoot theirselves in the foot this time?” with this program.  From the outside looking in….it seems they are a bit lazy and not properly prepared….like they don’t put in the extra work that is required.  Let’s put it this way….if you have to bet the farm on who is working harder, RV or Union, or RV and Graham, how you betting? I know how I’m betting and I’m keeping the farm. 

2 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

I agree.  There is an impending sense of “How will they shoot theirselves in the foot this time?” with this program.  From the outside looking in….it seems they are a bit lazy and not properly prepared….like they don’t put in the extra work that is required.  Let’s put it this way….if you have to bet the farm on who is working harder, RV or Union, or RV and Graham, how you betting? I know how I’m betting and I’m keeping the farm. 

I think we are probably betting the same way. It's not fair really, I'm sure the kids are working hard, but I'm with you I'm not sure the program as a whole is prepared to do what it takes to make that next step. 

It's became somewhat of a punchline, who will RV give a game away to this year? They made the region finals last year but this year I think they gotta be thinking it's our time now. 

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Heard Richlands won this tournament. Don’t know the scores or specifics, though. 

It was actually a good tournament. Not sure of all the scores or anything but there are some athletes out there. I can say that Union doesn’t miss any weight lifting days!