9/9 Rye Cove               Away
9/16 Rural Retreat               Away
9/23 Eastern Montgomery               Home
9/30 Castlewood               Home
10/7 Grundy               Away
10/14 Auburn               Away
10/28 Roanoke Catholic               Home
11/4 Smith Mountain Lake Christian               Away

How do u play no district games??? AD and coach should be fired!! 

Bland refused to schedule Galax for the two-year cycle that ends this season prior to last season. Galax was able to schedule a home-and-home with West Stokes as a result. Galax has a full slate of games for the upcoming season. At least until Auburn cancels half their season. 

On 6/14/2022 at 11:45 AM, sixcat said:

Bland refused to schedule Galax for the two-year cycle that ends this season prior to last season. Galax was able to schedule a home-and-home with West Stokes as a result. Galax has a full slate of games for the upcoming season. At least until Auburn cancels half their season. 

What’s the rest of the story about Bland and the rest of the Mountain Empire?

2 minutes ago, Cousin_Hoyt said:

What’s the rest of the story about Bland and the rest of the Mountain Empire?

All I know is, Bland petitioned VHSL to move to another district in 2020. I forget which one (Hogohegee maybe). They were denied. Their in-house solution is to decline to play Galax, Giles, Fort Chiswell and George Wythe knowing it will prevent them from playing post season football regardless of record. 

I’d say they’re just taking the best route to rebuild the program which unfortunately for some district teams means not playing them. It’s my understanding, only one team in the district opposed Bland moving to the Hogohegee & that one dissenter prevented them from moving. 

On 6/14/2022 at 11:37 AM, Jollay, living rent free said:

How do u play no district games??? AD and coach should be fired!! 

I’d say AD & coach are trying to rebuild the program with playing this schedule. In the long run if its benefits the program and they become more successful then that’s a plus for the Bears. I hope they have a great season and many wins. 

6 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I’d say AD & coach are trying to rebuild the program with playing this schedule. In the long run if its benefits the program and they become more successful then that’s a plus for the Bears. I hope they have a great season and many wins. 

but they short the rest of the teams/kids a game in the district. I call BS 

43 minutes ago, Dobb83 said:

but they short the rest of the teams/kids a game in the district. I call BS 

Their job is to look after their kids first. And to be honest at this they are doing their "District" foes a favor. If you really think about it it is better for the district teams to play a competitive opponent instead of Bland at this time. Bland let it be know last year that they were not going to play district football so it is no shock to the other district schools.

6 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

If you really think about it it is better for the district teams to play a competitive opponent instead of Bland at this time. 

There are some coaches that would rather play weak team for easy win than play a competitive team and possibly lose which does their kids a disservice in the long run. Want to get better find teams as good or better than yours to play is my thought. Maybe one of these district teams just want an easy W. 

For the record, nobody at Galax is upset with Bland and have actually tried to be supportive. It's completely understandable, they are in a difficult situation where playing teams like Galax would be demoralizing for a program trying desperately to stay alive. They don't want to cease football operations but that's definitely the next step if they can't get some momentum. Galax is happy to have a tougher opponent anyway. I don't say that to slam Bland. The reality is, Bland kids will get greater benefit from playing Eastern Montgomery, Rye Cove and Castlewood than Galax, GW and Giles. And Galax will get better prepared for state competition by playing West Stokes. 

In my opinion (and this is only an opinion), George Wythe should have been better prepared considering Bland was upfront with every district opponent prior to last season. It strikes me as being pretty obvious Galax, Giles, Grayson and Fort Chiswell all schedule home-and-home series with other schools in preparation. The anger toward Bland should be directed toward George Wythe's Athletic Director for lack of preparation.  

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Hey GW. Looks like Hazard, KY could use a game 10-7

I have let the powers that be know about several teams and for some reason they respond with one reason or another why it never works out! Ill let them know about the one as well. Almost like they don't want to add a game! It really makes no sense, GW has not played a full schedule going on 4 years now!!! i appreciate the info! Hey can you find out if covington is going to have a team? thanks