1C teams not playing Bland

Hard Hitter

I know GW is still looking, from what I have been told teams knew last year that bland wasn't playing them. Kind of disheartening to know they have had over a year to fill in the void. GW hasn't played a full schedule in three years now. Last two years I get it but not to be ready for this year kind of crazy. 

Welcome to the site @Hard Hitter.

Bland petitioned VHSL to move to the Hogohegee District in 2020. That request was denied, leaving Bland the tough choice of willingly foregoing the possibility of postseason play to help save the program by not playing a full district schedule. They notified the MED schools of their intentions at that time. Bland decided to play a schedule consisting of programs of similar stature hoping the change will help the program build a little momentum. What alternative do they really have other than to shutter the program?

Every MED school knew Bland's intentions prior to last season. Which is why Galax picked up a home-and-home series with West Stokes, NC. Giles, Grayson and Fort Chiswell also added a home-and-home series to replace Bland. I'm not sure what happened with George Wythe. Turnover in the Athletic Director position? Incompetence? Procrastination? I think it's reasonable to assume GW dropped the ball in some fashion considering every other MED school was able to schedule a two game series with another opponent. 

14 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Welcome to the site @Hard Hitter.

Bland petitioned VHSL to move to the Hogohegee District in 2020. That request was denied, leaving Bland the tough choice of willingly foregoing the possibility of postseason play to help save the program by not playing a full district schedule. They notified the MED schools of their intentions at that time. Bland decided to play a schedule consisting of programs of similar stature hoping the change will help the program build a little momentum. What alternative do they really have other than to shutter the program?

The only other option is to go Independent and play private schools, which wouldn't be a horrible idea and in a way is what they've done 

38 minutes ago, Jollay, living rent free said:

This is inexcusable for the admin to drop the ball this way! These kids deserve better!! Two whole years and everyone filled their schedule but GW! Should be ashamed!! 

Uncle Percy was wondering if you’ve ever had any dealings with GW when it comes to scheduling?  They could have had another game last year, but they would not travel. They wanted this team to travel to GW which would have given them 6 home/3 away and no return game. 

3 hours ago, Cousin_Hoyt said:

Uncle Percy was wondering if you’ve ever had any dealings with GW when it comes to scheduling?  They could have had another game last year, but they would not travel. They wanted this team to travel to GW which would have given them 6 home/3 away and no return game. 

George Wythe also bailed on Graham last season . Bland certainly doesn’t deserve the blame for GW being short a game this upcoming season. I know one team from the district was not agreeable to Bland moving districts. I wonder if that team was GW. A coach buddy in Bland told me at the time back in 2020 but I can’t remember which team it was. 

I sure have hit a nerve with this!! GW is catching all kinds of shrapnel!! Not sure why they canceled on graham last year but sounds like everyone in C was proactive and the only one who wasn't was GW and they are short 1 game

5 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Perhaps they did. Perhaps they didn't. Doesn't hurt to ask again since both are in a pinch for a game.

Yea they should. Princeton a good QB, and good line, GW returns everyone would be a good game