Abingdon shopping for another new coach

zebra

Well, once again the varsity boys basketball coach is gonna change at Abingdon.  Coach Williams didn’t make it long at all.  With the success he had in 3 years (state runner up in 3A), it’s probably a safe bet that he was pushed out by the politics Abingdon is known for.  Now, who would be crazy enough to take this job?

A little insight into why Coach Williams left.  Hard to build a “team” with the current state of travel ball promoting the individual.  

Snipped from the BHC article:

“I am 52-years-old, so I still have the energy and I have more knowledge and experience to share with the youth than I ever have if they are willing to receive it, but I have found of late the parents and kids have prioritized being on the stage and being seen over being in a lab and getting better,” Williams said. “That gap and that frustration played a big part in my decision to step away

At this point it’s obvious Abingdon doesn’t care much about winning and is a poison pill job. Williams is arguably the best coach in the area and he was a short termer just like everyone else that has been through the last decade….they are probably going to have to get a young ambitious guy because anyone with any sense is going to run from that place 

I agree that Williams is one of the best coaches in SWVA.  Abingdon tried the “young ambitious guy” with coach Hubbard a few years back.  The problem with that approach is those young guys just aren’t experienced enough to be successful in the Mountain 7 and then the regional/state contenders in 3A.  (Coach Hubbard went to Holston and has much improved in that program.). IMO, going that route again will not be a good thing for that coach or the program in general.  

What makes Abingdon a tough place to coach is the interference that happens.  Whether it’s from parents entitlements or from other sports encouraging kids to specialize, having the right kids to build a winning combination can be an uphill battle.

I have watched a lot of bball at Abingdon over the years and the crowd comes when they are actually competitive.  The “big kid” did help that team but they were good either way.  That was Covid year or I guarantee the gym would have filled up.  Coach Williams is one of the best at building a team plan around the players he has and his defense that year IMO was the reason they were able to come within 3 points of a state title.  Last year’s team was quite a rebuilding year.  Even with Ramsey, the loss of Hungate, Thacker, and OQuinn is hard to replace.  Then Gibson quits (I presume for baseball)and Ramsey stays hurt for a lot of the season and you have a team of varsity newbies trying to win in a stacked Mountain 7.  They played in the Arbys with mostly JV players and no starters from the previous year.  Talk about bad timing.

I have heard talk about potential candidates being Timmons from Va high, Brown (Abingdon girls coach), Francisco’s son, and the Abingdon JV coach from last year.  I can’t see Timmons coming to Abingdon and Francisco doesn’t have any experience. If the JV coach wants it I think that would be the best move but it’s anyone’s guess at this point.

2 minutes ago, buck_up said:

Any word on why? Looks like the community is rioting over it.

No clue why, I just saw Facebook blow up with petition, go to school board meeting, etc. Probably political like most school board stuff is. I’d like to be a fly on the wall at that meeting tonight. I bet he gets reinstated unless there’s something major that’s happened that the general public is unaware of. 

Richlands girls have every chance to be very, very good over the next few seasons. And BS politics is gonna screw it all up. They better reinstate Aaron tonight. That meeting is a full house. 

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Richlands girls have every chance to be very, very good over the next few seasons. And BS politics is gonna screw it all up. They better reinstate Aaron tonight. That meeting is a full house. 

Let us know how it shakes out. According to WVVA, several players spoke on his behalf but didn't say whether or not he's been reinstated.

Edited: Saw a post on FB by parent that Coach Lowe wasn't reinstated.

Edited by Gridiron60
Add new information

2 hours ago, Austrian Ben Shapiro said:

Buchanan County’s only newspaper is reporting that Tom Rife is new HC at RHS for the Varsity Girls. 

I don't have a dog in this fight & could care less who the coaches are at Richlands but seems like there's more to this situation if the board didn't fold under that much pressure from players & parents. Must be something the general public is not privy to IMHO. 

You forget that it was the same when Jody Fuller was ran out of town as boys coach.  All it takes is someone with more connections wanting the job.  Phillips was able to get it done then, now I would assume it’s the same with Rife.  A good team coming through and somebody thinks they know better how to use it to win.  

7 hours ago, Austrian Ben Shapiro said:

Buchanan County’s only newspaper is reporting that Tom Rife is new HC at RHS for the Varsity Girls. 

A very very reliable source that has connections to both parties(school board and Tom Rife) leaked that Jimmy McGee owed Tom Rife a favor and Tom wants a state championship before retirement...

1 hour ago, buck_up said:

A very very reliable source that has connections to both parties(school board and Tom Rife) leaked that Jimmy McGee owed Tom Rife a favor and Tom wants a state championship before retirement...

Don’t you think they should win a district championship before talking about winning state?
😂😂 I thought Vencil was the principal at Richlands but your humor is appreciated, lol! 

Seriously , the most successful basketball team to come out of Richlands was back in the Allen girl era & coached by Dennis “Snake” Palmer. I think they made it to state twice I think. I believe that was before everyone in the district practically made the playoffs. We’ve really “dumbed down” the playoff system but I digress. 

26 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Don’t you think they should win a district championship before talking about winning state?
😂😂 I thought Vencil was the principal at Richlands but your humor is appreciated, lol! 

Seriously , the most successful basketball team to come out of Richlands was back in the Allen girl era & coached by Dennis “Snake” Palmer. I think they made it to state twice I think. I believe that was before everyone in the district practically made the playoffs. We’ve really “dumbed down” the playoff system but I digress. 

If that team stays together — they have the talent to make a run towards Richmond. But who knows if they all stay or come out to play at this point.