Please Report Numbers here.

Real Sasquatch

4 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

My freshman year, Graham had 121 out of a population of 501.  In related news, we went to Disney that year.  Next year, 72 of 488, but it built back up to 100 the following 2 years.

Galax had 74 my daughters 8th grade year, which is impressive for a high school with roughly 350 students. A new band director for my daughters freshman year resulted in numbers falling and continuing to fall every year. Last year, my daughter's junior year, the band had 16 kids. They lost 58 kids in 3 years!

We have a new band director this year. He has rekindled excitement around a once-proud marching band. They have a little north of 40 students for band camp the past two weeks. 

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

Just watched some of Tazewell's practice. I've been to Baptist church services with more energy than that. Those coaches need to get fired up and stop worrying about how they look. Good grief that's a DEAD practice.

I watched a little as well, and I can’t agree with this take.  The portion I saw had them broken down into position groups, working technique and conditioning.  That’s not exactly the most emotionally charged, sexiest part of practice.  And Tazewell’s staff isn’t the most yellingest, screamingest staff to begin with.  

Pads don’t go on until next week.  That’s when the intensity should, and will, ratchet up.

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

Did everyone fall for the troll? Riverheads does not have 97 kids lol

I have been told this may include the group of 7th graders signed up for jv.  Most likely  the number will end up in the 50s or 60s on the Varsity.

5 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

Just watched some of Tazewell's practice. I've been to Baptist church services with more energy than that. Those coaches need to get fired up and stop worrying about how they look. Good grief that's a DEAD practice.

Some teams aren't starting until Monday.. 

9 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Some teams aren't starting until Monday.. 

I know that. I just felt like there was no energy. Maybe I missed that part. I'm a very competitive person and to me they need some enthusiasm, some drive. Im not bashing them. I want them to finish the regular season 9-1. After this year I'd be happy if they went 10-0.

Other than that I thought they had good numbers. Several of the diehard Tazewell fans obviously know better than me but it wasn't long ago that Tazewell started the season out in the 20s. Having 45-50 will certainly help as the season progresses. Getting a baseball coach that supports the football program at Tazewell may spell trouble for the surrounding teams.

29 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

I know that. I just felt like there was no energy. Maybe I missed that part. I'm a very competitive person and to me they need some enthusiasm, some drive. Im not bashing them. I want them to finish the regular season 9-1. After this year I'd be happy if they went 10-0.

Other than that I thought they had good numbers. Several of the diehard Tazewell fans obviously know better than me but it wasn't long ago that Tazewell started the season out in the 20s. Having 45-50 will certainly help as the season progresses. Getting a baseball coach that supports the football program at Tazewell may spell trouble for the surrounding teams.

Each community has different obstacles to overcome.  They certainly don't have the enthusiasm or the numbers showing up in the weight room like Graham does right now, but sometimes things take time to build.  I am happy to see the program continuing to get better.  Graham went through a rough period of time, but got the right pieces in place (in particular the right man for the job) and that program took off.   The fact that Tazewell will have around 50 kids out this season is huge for them.  Kids are starting to want to play for the Dawgs again and that's a good thing.   Tazewell's ascension is  slower in progression, but I think they are headed in the right direction.  I don't see any seasons with 1 or 2 wins in the near future.  They just have to keep building on their successes and continue to keep building on that.  Winning breeds confidence.  If Tazewell goes 7-3 with the schedule they play,  with a win over a quality team, that would be huge for them.  And a 1st round playoff win would also be a step in the right direction.  I'll just be glad to be out watching the area teams play, can't wait.  Didn't mean my comment back-handed.  I was just messing around with you, I know you mean no ill-will and can take a little jab once in a while.  Some others on here say things that are just mean spirited.

2 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

Tazewell ended the 2017 season with 17 players.  That’s not enough to be competitive with 1A teams, much less 2A teams.  It takes 45+ to have the depth to run what someone would think as a “real practice”, not using tackling dummies or trash cans to simulate players.  There’s enough for a bonafide JV program, which will boost development that much more.

The program is light years beyond where it was then, and it’s because of that slow, incremental progress.  Tazewell’s program was at a natural disadvantage compared to its in-county peers because it was allowed to fall into disrepair for the better part of a generation.  The administration and coaching staff got on the same page, and both truly “get it” when it comes to building a program.

Two huge pieces have been fixed this year alone.  One, as you say, was hiring Brandon McDaniel for the baseball job.  That was the correct move in a multitude of ways, not least of which is breaking the “baseball only” culture that had set up shop.  The second was a remodeling of the boosters paradigm, which has already paid dividends and will do so even more in the future.

I truly think the best is yet to come.

20 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Tazewell ended the 2017 season with 17 players.  That’s not enough to be competitive with 1A teams, much less 2A teams.  It takes 45+ to have the depth to run what someone would think as a “real practice”, not using tackling dummies or trash cans to simulate players.  There’s enough for a bonafide JV program, which will boost development that much more.

The program is light years beyond where it was then, and it’s because of that slow, incremental progress.  Tazewell’s program was at a natural disadvantage compared to its in-county peers because it was allowed to fall into disrepair for the better part of a generation.  The administration and coaching staff got on the same page, and both truly “get it” when it comes to building a program.

Two huge pieces have been fixed this year alone.  One, as you say, was hiring Brandon McDaniel for the baseball job.  That was the correct move in a multitude of ways, not least of which is breaking the “baseball only” culture that had set up shop.  The second was a remodeling of the boosters paradigm, which has already paid dividends and will do so even more in the future.

I truly think the best is yet to come.

Excellent points.

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Richlands is gonna fall in the mid-to-low 60’s sounds like. That’s an uptick from last years numbers. 

Tarter has them on the right track.  Might be a down year but seems like they’re building back up.

14 hours ago, Jollay, living rent free said:

someone needs to do an official shortage count! GW and Radford already moved to Thursday because of officials! Does the VHSL supply them or how does that work? Thanks

There are associations throughout the Commonwealth that work in partnership with the VHSL. Richmond, Roanoke, Lynchburg, NOVA, and here it is the Appalachian Football Officials Association. We were short on numbers last year but, seem to be building back a little based on initial numbers. Our association covers GW, but I haven't heard of any moves based on anticipation of us being short again. Of course, to a school, I could see it being slightly more advantageous to have a game on a Thursday night. The fact of the matter is we could always use more officials to help us cover games.

6 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Anyone able to report on Central and Union?  I was trying to get to Central but work is getting in the way, as it tends to do.

Central is in the low 30s and Union in the low 60s

Despite the 92-degree heat, optimism was high during Wednesday’s media day session at GC. According to head coach Jeremy Houseright, the Blue Devils have 60 players on the roster.

That figure is nearly double the number of players from the 2021 media day and includes several juniors who have been away from football for a couple years.

Fleming said the positive vibes have been building ever since Blue Devils held a nearly three-hour workout that began at midnight on the opening day of practice July 28.

“This is most momentum we’ve had since I’ve been part of this program,” said Fleming, who scored three touchdowns as a sophomore. “We’ve got more depth so we can give guys rest now instead of having to play both ways all the time.”