Please Report Numbers here.

Real Sasquatch

9 hours ago, Great City said:

Despite the 92-degree heat, optimism was high during Wednesday’s media day session at GC. According to head coach Jeremy Houseright, the Blue Devils have 60 players on the roster.

That figure is nearly double the number of players from the 2021 media day and includes several juniors who have been away from football for a couple years.

Fleming said the positive vibes have been building ever since Blue Devils held a nearly three-hour workout that began at midnight on the opening day of practice July 28.

“This is most momentum we’ve had since I’ve been part of this program,” said Fleming, who scored three touchdowns as a sophomore. “We’ve got more depth so we can give guys rest now instead of having to play both ways all the time.”

I saw the team picture from media day and almost fell over. I’m lookin forward to watchin this bunch.

2 hours ago, Jags52 said:

From what I’ve heard Northwood has high 20s Chilhowie is low 40s and Marion is around 50

Smyth County historically has turned out good numbers. Marion 50 range, Chilhowie 45 range, Northwood 35 range. Covid lowered this number somewhat but each school seems to be bouncing back. Covid just destroyed things for awhile.

On 8/5/2022 at 2:31 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Anything on Holston?  Has had a nice run and I wonder what they have coming back?  Are they the favs to win Region D, or Chilhowie, Patrick Henry, Grundy, Burton?

You're forgetting Twin Springs...

1D is wide open... could be any of the four you mentioned as well as the Titans.

Manassas Park has cancelled football for the 2022 season. I know the demographics in that area have changed drastically over the past two decades but it's hard to fathom a school of 1,200 students not having more than 17 kids interested in football. 

35 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Manassas Park has cancelled football for the 2022 season. I know the demographics in that area have changed drastically over the past two decades but it's hard to fathom a school of 1,200 students not having more than 17 kids interested in football. 

Follow the trend for soccer and lacrosse programs and you will see part of the reason.  I coached in a Pop Warner league several years ago in a major metro area and we had a hard time fielding 20 kids for our team, yet had to share the fields with the 6 local soccer teams. The soccer teams had to turn kids away.  They didn’t want to even discuss playing football with us.

30 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Follow the trend for soccer and lacrosse programs and you will see part of the reason.  I coached in a Pop Warner league several years ago in a major metro area and we had a hard time fielding 20 kids for our team, yet had to share the fields with the 6 local soccer teams. The soccer teams had to turn kids away.  They didn’t want to even discuss playing football with us.

I read something earlier that suggested Manassas Park could legitimately field 3 varsity soccer teams with their average yearly turnout. 

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Soccer will be the 3rd most popular sport in this country by 2050. It’s growing quickly.

East River Soccer had over 700 kids participating in spring soccer a few years back.  They have added a u-4, possibly a u-3 division since then.  Wouldn't surprise me if they have 1000 kids in the spring and about half that in the fall.

I counted 58 for Union tonight at Elizabethton, not counting one kid who had a wrap on his lower leg and didn't have a jersey on. I assumed he was a player. I've never been good at math though.

1 hour ago, JDHoss said:

I counted 58 for Union tonight at Elizabethton, not counting one kid who had a wrap on his lower leg and didn't have a jersey on. I assumed he was a player. I've never been good at math though.

I didn't count, but that would mean we lost 6 kids since Saturday's press day. Hopefully, they were on vacation or something. Haha 

Kid wrapped up is a player. #3 if I remember correctly.

15 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I didn't count, but that would mean we lost 6 kids since Saturday's press day. Hopefully, they were on vacation or something. Haha 

Kid wrapped up is a player. #3 if I remember correctly.

Lots of guys were moving around. I wouldn't take 58/59 as a correct count. 

On 8/8/2022 at 9:48 AM, Tigers_07 said:

any word on the numbers for the Russell county teams, Honaker, Lebanon, Castlewood

Lebanon has around 54 players on their roster. I am pretty sure they have around 15 senior. The roster includes JV, so I am guessing 40 dress out for varsity. Lebanon's numbers have greatly improved over 3 years ago when they barely had enough to field a team. The roster also includes some of the schools better athletes who have decided to play football. They are going to be young in many areas, such as QB and receivers,  but they have potential of being pretty good. The players they moved up from JV have maybe lost 1 or 2 games in the past couple of years. One player to watch for is the QB, he can throw the ball accurately downfield and has receivers who can catch. The JV last year was fun to watch, they played a wide open style and used a lot of spread. I heard they were incorporating a similar style for the varsity to run on offense. With the athletes they currently have, they could be fun to watch. I'm saying they will definitely be improved over past seasons, hopefully getting at least 6 wins, but time will tell. 

I've seen a picture of Honaker's roster but not totally sure on exact numbers. I am guessing that they have similar numbers to what they've had the past few years. As for Castlewood I am not sure. I know they will have a team, I just don't have any idea on their numbers. I am guessing similar to last season. 

12 hours ago, Pioneer said:

I've seen a picture of Honaker's roster but not totally sure on exact numbers. I am guessing that they have similar numbers to what they've had the past few years.  

I think the number I heard was 38 I am not sure if that he more or less than normal for them

On 8/8/2022 at 7:42 PM, Real Sasquatch said:

East River Soccer had over 700 kids participating in spring soccer a few years back.  They have added a u-4, possibly a u-3 division since then.  Wouldn't surprise me if they have 1000 kids in the spring and about half that in the fall.

My oldest played 1 year in U-4.  Didn’t return because of baseball and some problems we had with management there, but on game days, that place is packed like sardines.

On 8/11/2022 at 2:31 PM, sixcat said:

Galax has updated the roster to include height, weight, positions and jersey numbers. Team and individual photos are taking place today.

https://www.mountainempiredistrictva.org/public/roster/detailpage/genie/292/school/5/agl/25/1/5/rschool/5