Realignment 2023-2027

VHSLhelper

The VHSL will go back to the old way - ADMs for grades 9 through 11.
Someone posted the numbers on Preps a while ago.... here's the ones that were closest to the line...

3A - Carroll Co., Abingdon, Tunstall, Hidden Valley
2A - Radford, Patrick Co., George Wythe
1A - Fort Chiswell, Giles, Chilhowie, Galax

Deadline to request an appeal - August 8

https://virginiapreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/realignment-news.73793/

Liberty (Bedford) and LCA expect to benefit greatly from the move to Division 2.  In football, the matchup between LCA and Appomattox will be interesting and probably have great bearing on state title implications.  Liberty (Bedford) expects to be very competitive in soccer (both boys and girls), softball, and wrestling --although staying in the Seminole could impact seeding for Minutemen teams at the regional level.

And yeah.... a lot of y'all back home will now experience the joy that is dealing directly with LCA.

12 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

It is interesting that Lebanon currently remains in the Hogo. I wonder what approach D will take for playoff seeding and who qualifies for sports other than football. 

They can look right down the road at how the M7 does it in 2D for inspiration lol. 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

IMHO, LCA shouldn’t be allowed to compete unless the VHSL makes them follow the same rules as public schools. Actually, they should have to compete with other private schools, period! I take back my first statement. 

LCA sued a few years back (2015, I think) and the VHSL caved.and they reached a settlement which allowed LCA to join the VHSL.  The 2A schools should join together to oppose this.  Wasn't fair against 4A schools when they joined, definitely not fair against 2A schools now.  

This isn’t intended to be inflammatory. The revised ADM figures do not include the senior class of any school. Riverheads new ADM is 357 yet the previous ADM (including the senior class) was 443. It’s a mathematical improbability for the freshman to junior classes to average 119 students while the senior class has just 86. So, their senior classes are routinely 30% smaller than the remaining grade levels?

These statistical improbabilities are why suspicions have grown over the years concerning Riverheads. Where there’s smoke, there’s usually fire!

11 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

LCA sued a few years back (2015, I think) and the VHSL caved.and they reached a settlement which allowed LCA to join the VHSL.  The 2A schools should join together to oppose this.  Wasn't fair against 4A schools when they joined, definitely not fair against 2A schools now.  

I think the term "caved" is a definite understatement.  VHSL apparently didn't put up any kind of a fight at all.  LCA basically runs its athletic program with absolute impunity -- to the extent that the VHSL simply accepts enrollment numbers reported by LCA without even questioning them.  And that's just one example.

I know very little about the legal counsel employed by the VHSL in that situation, but I wouldn't be shocked to find out that the lead attorney was actually named Ben Dover.

As much as I would love to see somebody (anybody) challenge both the VHSL and LCA over this state of affairs, I don't know of any entity that would have the standing to do so.

If Lebanon and Chilhowie both move up to 2a it would make since for one or them to go to the southwest right? If I where an AD at a southwest school I would be pushing for that hard just to get the voting edge on the mountain 7 when it comes to all region team. The hogo team would probably be happy to get rid of Chilhowie anyway give some of those other teams a chance in all sports 

Not to be a prick here or someone with overt OCD, but just an FYI (from my understanding) it's Class 1 through Class 6.  There are no "A's" involved.  I only write this because when there's talk of 2A getting screwed, is the discussion on every Class 2 team in Virginia, or on Class 2, Region A down towards the Coast?   I know that folks writing 2A are referring to the Class 2 schools, and mainly the Class 2 schools in our area, but technically, it's Class 1 through 6, no "A's" are in the classification system to my knowledge.  VHSL Helper and Bluefield Researcher are all over this stuff and know far more than me, so if I'm wrong, I stand corrected ahead of time.  

1 minute ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Not to be a prick here or someone with overt OCD, but just an FYI (from my understanding) it's Class 1 through Class 6.  There are no "A's" involved.  I only write this because when there's talk of 2A getting screwed, is the discussion on every Class 2 team in Virginia, or on Class 2, Region A down towards the Coast?   I know that folks writing 2A are referring to the Class 2 schools, and mainly the Class 2 schools in our area, but technically, it's Class 1 through 6, no "A's" are in the classification system to my knowledge.  VHSL Helper and Bluefield Researcher are all over this stuff and know far more than me, so if I'm wrong, I stand corrected ahead of time.  

Even if there is no 'A' everyone knows what class they are talking about 

11 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

You're correct.  Adding 'A' to the classification is just a force of habit for a lot of old timers (like me).  I think the biggest objection is the addition of Lynchburg Christian Academy to Class 2.  

31 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Good point. I'm big on using the right terms to at least try to eliminate confusion 

42 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I wish I could get a list of the appeals for schools that are/will appeal to play in a different classification.  It would interesting in my opinion on who will be requesting what.

Imo all Class 2 schools should appeal LCA being Class 2