Realignment 2023-2027

VHSLhelper

10 hours ago, sixcat said:

This isn’t intended to be inflammatory. The revised ADM figures do not include the senior class of any school. Riverheads new ADM is 357 yet the previous ADM (including the senior class) was 443. It’s a mathematical improbability for the freshman to junior classes to average 119 students while the senior class has just 86. So, their senior classes are routinely 30% smaller than the remaining grade levels?

These statistical improbabilities are why suspicions have grown over the years concerning Riverheads. Where there’s smoke, there’s usually fire!

They usually average about 110-117 per class. (Have 110 in this years senior class) Pretty sure they have a larger than normal freshman class coming in of a little over 120 thus the increase in average. 

30 minutes ago, RedKingdom said:

They usually average about 110-117 per class. (Have 110 in this years senior class) Pretty sure they have a larger than normal freshman class coming in of a little over 120 thus the increase in average. 

That doesn’t explain the discrepancy. If the difference between 9th-12th numbers versus 9th-11th numbers were a dozen, maybe. But the difference is 33 students. Just shy of 30% of the class average. It’s a mathematical anomaly. 

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I wish I could get a list of the appeals for schools that are/will appeal to play in a different classification.  It would interesting in my opinion on who will be requesting what.

Based on what I have heard recently, I feel confident that GW and Grayson will both appeal to play down in 1.  I believe Riverheads will do the same.

I also hear James River wants to come down to 1, but not too sure on the accuracy for this one.

As I said above, I think LCA wants to stay in class 3.  I say this only because I believe they are comfortable with the level of competition and the travel.

44 minutes ago, ehcwasp said:

As I said above, I think LCA wants to stay in class 3.  I say this only because I believe they are comfortable with the level of competition and the travel.

I think both LCA and Liberty (Bedford) are planning to remain in the Seminole District -- likely for the reasons mentioned above.  But I don't see either school contesting their classification reassignment.  The folks at LCA really like winning, they don't mind doing whatever is necessary to make that happen, and they don't seem to have any qualms about that whatsoever.  They are pretty proud of their Division 3 football championship -- and are probably planning to build a brand new facility to contain all the Division 2 trophies that they will expect to win at that level.

5 hours ago, pdfan said:

How would yall like to be Martinsville. Since Patrick Co is leaving to go to the TRD, the 2A Dogs are in a district with 3A Magna Vista, Bassett, and Tunstall, 4A GW-Danville and Halifax Co. And just added 5A Mecklenburg Co. Not looking good in the Ville, 60-0 routs every week.

It’s sad to see the population/enrollment drop to the current level. 10 year old me loved seeing Dennis Mahan, Jamie Mason, Keith Burgess, Rex Varn and the rest play. The 75 Dogs were one powerful team.  

1 hour ago, RichlandsAlum said:

The folks at LCA really like winning, they don't mind doing whatever is necessary to make that happen, and they don't seem to have any qualms about that whatsoever.  They are pretty proud of their Division 3 football championship 

Runner up Div 3 Football Champs.  The certainly played in the Championship and expected to win, but the Phantoms from Hampton, VA, weren't having any fear of name recognition.  Considering the history of Phoebus High and all of their state titles, I think they felt somewhat disrespected playing against a school without a football state title and most folks in the media and on social media were predicting LCA to beat em.

The VHSL will certainly let LCA play Class 3.  They are aware of the complaints and aware of the advantage LCA has, and I don't see LCA having any issue playing Class 3.  If the VHSL were smart, they would one up em, and say, "We granted your appeal to play up, but we granted it 2 times, you are now in Class 4."

5 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Not to be a prick here or someone with overt OCD, but just an FYI (from my understanding) it's Class 1 through Class 6.  There are no "A's" involved.  I only write this because when there's talk of 2A getting screwed, is the discussion on every Class 2 team in Virginia, or on Class 2, Region A down towards the Coast?   I know that folks writing 2A are referring to the Class 2 schools, and mainly the Class 2 schools in our area, but technically, it's Class 1 through 6, no "A's" are in the classification system to my knowledge.  VHSL Helper and Bluefield Researcher are all over this stuff and know far more than me, so if I'm wrong, I stand corrected ahead of time.  

AAAAAAAye   Calm down over there. On this board if we are all  better coaches and refs than what is on the field then we can call it "A" if we want to! 🤓

50 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Runner up Div 3 Football Champs.  The certainly played in the Championship and expected to win, but the Phantoms from Hampton, VA, weren't having any fear of name recognition.  Considering the history of Phoebus High and all of their state titles, I think they felt somewhat disrespected playing against a school without a football state title and most folks in the media and on social media were predicting LCA to beat em.

The VHSL will certainly let LCA play Class 3.  They are aware of the complaints and aware of the advantage LCA has, and I don't see LCA having any issue playing Class 3.  If the VHSL were smart, they would one up em, and say, "We granted your appeal to play up, but we granted it 2 times, you are now in Class 4."

Agree.  They will definitely let LCA play Class 3 football.  Down in Region A, Southampton is moving down to Class 2 from Class 3, & Central Lunenburg is moving up from Class 1 to Class 2.  You got Phoebus who is now moving back up from Class 3 to 4, 

OK, I stand corrected on the results of the 2021 Division 3 championship game.  FWIW I generally lose interest in the postseason once Liberty (Bedford) is eliminated from contention -- and lately that's been an accomplished fact around mid season.  On another aside... the change in classification for Phoebus is another interesting case in point.

Back to the realignment discussion...  If LCA wants to continue to "play up" at the Division 3 level then I don't think there's any doubt at all that VHSL will approve that appeal.  My opinion (which isn't informed by inside information on that specific question) is that they will not appeal the reclassification because they will have a significant competitive advantage at Division 2.  It's definitely possible that poster ehcwasp may have some insight into the LCA operation that the rest of us don't -- and I will certainly be happy to be wrong in this case.

In case anyone cares, I'm hearing all kinds of conflicting information about Liberty (Bedford) -- which isn't surprising because our athletic department is completely screwed up right now.  One varsity coach advised me that we are in fact staying in the Seminole District and his view was that we would petition to "play up" to Division 3.  Another assistant coach in another sport told me that we would be dropping to Division 2 and joining the Dogwood District.  I do note that "Liberty - Bed" is highlighted in the published alignment plan for some reason.  Time will tell....

There is some funkiness going on with some of these new ADM figures but none more-so than Radford. Radford is shown in the 2022 ADM's as the largest proposed Class 2 school with 562 students yet, they only reported 505 in the March 2018 ADM's and 495 in the March 2020 ADM's. Considering the 2022 ADM is supposed to count only grades 9-11 and the 2018 and 2020 ADM's counted grades 9-12, something seems really off. 

2022 ADM (9-11) = 562 (largest proposed Class 2 school)
2020 ADM (9-12) = 495
2018 ADM (9-12) = 505

Something seems a bit.....off!

4 hours ago, sixcat said:

There is some funkiness going on with some of these new ADM figures but none more-so than Radford. Radford is shown in the 2022 ADM's as the largest proposed Class 2 school with 562 students yet, they only reported 505 in the March 2018 ADM's and 495 in the March 2020 ADM's. Considering the 2022 ADM is supposed to count only grades 9-11 and the 2018 and 2020 ADM's counted grades 9-12, something seems really off. 

2020 ADM (9-12) = 495
2018 ADM (9-12) = 505

Could Radford have had a population boom? I know there’s a university there. 

Virginia does stuff funky. 

3 hours ago, vhs_falcon_volfan said:

Could Radford have had a population boom? I know there’s a university there. 

Virginia does stuff funky. 

I've been told that Radford has put in a lot of low income housing in recent years. My guess is that  might of brought a little boom and also explaining a drop in numbers at Pulaski County

On 7/31/2022 at 7:29 PM, ehcwasp said:

Based on what I have heard recently, I feel confident that GW and Grayson will both appeal to play down in 1.  I believe Riverheads will do the same.

I also hear James River wants to come down to 1, but not too sure on the accuracy for this one.

Have any appeals to play down ever been granted?

16 hours ago, sixcat said:

2020 ADM (9-12) = 495
2018 ADM (9-12) = 505

I was told last night, Radford's 2022 listed ADM figure of 562 is actually their 9-12 number. VHSL printed the wrong number. Their 9-11 number is closer to 440.

Apparently, this is the case for a few schools. VHSL will revise and update after appeals are heard. 

17 minutes ago, ehcwasp said:

It is going to be interesting to see how many appeals get approved for class 1.  Could be up to six appeals to be in class 1.  I don't think they'll approve them all

I could be wrong and I know many will assume Riverheads will appeal to play in Class 1. I'm not sold Riverheads will appeal to stay in Class 1.

11 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I could be wrong and I know many will assume Riverheads will appeal to play in Class 1. I'm not sold Riverheads will appeal to stay in Class 1.

Eye R nod sole day dat smawl