Realignment 2023-2027

VHSLhelper

On 7/30/2022 at 11:04 PM, 1inStripes said:

It is interesting that Lebanon currently remains in the Hogo. I wonder what approach D will take for playoff seeding and who qualifies for sports other than football. 

Good point. Lebanon will most likely appeal to remain in class 1. Depending what their enrollment is in grades 7 and 8 they could drop right back under 350 when mid-cycle enrollment is looked at again. Can see several schools getting under the number at this point. 

On 7/30/2022 at 11:04 PM, 1inStripes said:

It is interesting that Lebanon currently remains in the Hogo. I wonder what approach D will take for playoff seeding and who qualifies for sports other than football. 

Very realistic for Grayson, Lebanon, George Wythe, Riverheads all return to class 1 at mid cycle adjustment if not before. Imagine Graham with 393 kids only 43 kids away from being class 1. Graham would be a monster at that level as they already are in class 2. Don't see that happening but holy moly they would be an unstopable force. Coach Palmer has done terrific things over there.

since Honaker is going to the Hogoheegee district with realignment, even tho I think they should be in the Cumberland district myself, when Hurley, Twin Valley, and Grundy consolidate, what district will they be put in, Southwest or Mountain 7

50 minutes ago, Tigers_07 said:

since Honaker is going to the Hogoheegee district with realignment, even tho I think they should be in the Cumberland district myself, when Hurley, Twin Valley, and Grundy consolidate, what district will they be put in, Southwest or Mountain 7

Assuming all things stay as they are now, I would think they would be added to the Southwest. That would give each district the same number of 2A teams(Depending on how Lebanon shakes out). Surely, they would be closer for travel times as well.

With Riverheads, and you are on the VHSL as one of the people deciding to allow them to remain Class 1, what do you look at?  Well, common sense tells me their ability to compete at Class 2.  For example, have they struggled like Bland at the Class 1 level and really are having a tough go at it, or are they a mediocre Class 1 team in an area where the Class 2 competition is crazy tough?  Are they in an area where the Class 2 competition would be a major factor in traveling to play other Class 2 schools?  The answer to those questions are clearly.....no.

They are in an area with a bunch of Class 2 teams that aren't difficult traveling trips.  They are in an area where arguably, it's the worst Class 2 Region in football if you want to go by titles.  Outside of Stuarts Draft, who still hasn't won one, but has at least competed, this region just hasn't had much going on man in Class 2.  Also, how many Class 1 titles has Riverheads won in the last 7 years or so?  They've completely dominated.  Outside of politics or some connection we don't know about with the VHSL (of which do exist) there is a grand total of ZERO sense in granting an appeal for Riverheads to play Class 1/stay in Class 1.  They may actually have the very worst argument of any Class 1 team in Virginia for staying Class 1.  I don't even know if Riverheads put the appeal in to stay Class 1, but barring borderline criminality or some type of shadiness with the VHSL, there are a grand total of ZERO reasons they would be granted (by reasonable minds) to stay in Class 1.

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

With Riverheads, and you are on the VHSL as one of the people deciding to allow them to remain Class 1, what do you look at?  Well, common sense tells me their ability to compete at Class 2.  For example, have they struggled like Bland at the Class 1 level and really are having a tough go at it, or are they a mediocre Class 1 team in an area where the Class 2 competition is crazy tough?  Are they in an area where the Class 2 competition would be a major factor in traveling to play other Class 2 schools?  The answer to those questions are clearly.....no.

They are in an area with a bunch of Class 2 teams that aren't difficult traveling trips.  They are in an area where arguably, it's the worst Class 2 Region in football if you want to go by titles.  Outside of Stuarts Draft, who still hasn't won one, but has at least competed, this region just hasn't had much going on man in Class 2.  Also, how many Class 1 titles has Riverheads won in the last 7 years or so?  They've completely dominated.  Outside of politics or some connection we don't know about with the VHSL (of which do exist) there is a grand total of ZERO sense in granting an appeal for Riverheads to play Class 1/stay in Class 1.  They may actually have the very worst argument of any Class 1 team in Virginia for staying Class 1.  I don't even know if Riverheads put the appeal in to stay Class 1, but barring borderline criminality or some type of shadiness with the VHSL, there are a grand total of ZERO reasons they would be granted (by reasonable minds) to stay in Class 1.

I definitely see them trying to appeal it because when you look at the 4-5 years they were Class 2, they had good seasons and made it deep in the playoffs but never made it to Salem. But I think the VHSL will definitely look at how easy it has been for them the last 7 years and considering what they did against a decent Class 3 LB team there’s no doubt Riverheads can compete in Class 2 especially with having one of the best running backs in the state IMO. 

Riverheads appeals.  It's official.  Sorry man, this may not be very Christian like, and I will need to pray on this one, but that's a first class POS move in my opinion.  It's wrong, it's the act of a freakin coward, and it's the actions of either a coward or two cowards in charge of Riverheads.  You have won how many state titles in a row and have the longest winning streak in America (I think they do) and you are in a shi**y football region for Class 2 schools and have no distance issues, and your numbers are clearly, clearly in Class 2 range and with people spreading out from the political wokeism from NOVA, I-81 and the Shenandoah Valley is growing and projected to only grow.  Sorry man, just got to call it like I see it.  That's lowclass and I was one that always defended Riverheads on this board about their class and ability to compete in Class 2 (which I still believe they certainly can and would win some Class 2 titles in the last 7 years) but my respect went to ZERO.  Nothing against the kids at Riverheads who are youngsters and have no say or control in the matter and they play with class and respect, but as for the AD, school official or officials calling this shot to appeal, just a low class move, period.  Only my opinion.  Some may feel different.  As for me, you are now known and referred to as COWARD High School.  Again, absolutely nothing against the young kids, but for your leaders, COWARDS, period.  

Read this and walk away from the computer for a second and just think about this.

1.  7 or so state titles in a row (or something like that.) 

2.  Nation's longest winning streak 

3.  No travel issues regarding distance or scheduling.

4.  Located in arguably the least competitive Class 2 football region in Virginia.

5.  Cleary Class 2 numbers, and...........

You appeal to play down?  COWARDS, period.

18 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Riverheads appeals.  It's official.  Sorry man, this may not be very Christian like, and I will need to pray on this one, but that's a first class POS move in my opinion.  It's wrong, it's the act of a freakin coward, and it's the actions of either a coward or two cowards in charge of Riverheads.  You have won how many state titles in a row and have the longest winning streak in America (I think they do) and you are in a shi**y football region for Class 2 schools and have no distance issues, and your numbers are clearly, clearly in Class 2 range and with people spreading out from the political wokeism from NOVA, I-81 and the Shenandoah Valley is growing and projected to only grow.  Sorry man, just got to call it like I see it.  That's lowclass and I was one that always defended Riverheads on this board about their class and ability to compete in Class 2 (which I still believe they certainly can and would win some Class 2 titles in the last 7 years) but my respect went to ZERO.  Nothing against the kids at Riverheads who are youngsters and have no say or control in the matter and they play with class and respect, but as for the AD, school official or officials calling this shot to appeal, just a low class move, period.  Only my opinion.  Some may feel different.  As for me, you are now known and referred to as COWARD High School.  Again, absolutely nothing against the young kids, but for your leaders, COWARDS, period.  

Read this and walk away from the computer for a second and just think about this.

4.  Located in arguably the least competitive Class 2 football region in Virginia.

Sounds like some dumb chickens. Is that their mascot?

A school with a 450 total enrollment wanting to play as a 1A school? That AD must have one major mangina. 

1 minute ago, TwhscoachT said:

Dear God shot me now, Council and Hurley looking to join the Cumberland. Nothing against theses schools, but everything against the drive.

In addition to that, some other requests of interest...

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/sports/council-hurley-ask-to-join-cumberland-district/article_935f3670-f5d8-5aaa-a13c-4322b08b4803.html

One more thing about Liberty Christian.  I know, they have taken a hit on here and not very popular and all of that stuff, but give them credit here.  The appealed to play up (and I don't care how self serving or whatever) they appealed to play up/remain in Class 3 instead of dropping to Class 2.  Now, notice the difference here...

LCA, yep, future is bright.  Lots of money, recruits, but has NOT won a VHSL football state title yet.  Now, this is bunch that could say, "our numbers are Class 2 and we haven't won any titles yet in Class 3, so yes, we want to play in Class 2 and we are not appealing to play up in Class 3".  I agree, it wouldn't be cool for them to do that, but they did Not do it.  They appealed to play up.

Coward High School- A bunch of state titles in a row and domination, a growing population with folks in NOVA coming down I-81, and a history of doing well against larger classification schools like Draft and Lord Botty.  What is the reasonable thing to do?  You play against schools your own size.  Based on this cowardly move, it wouldn't surprise me if they actually did cheat/fudge their numbers that last couple of cycles.  

Whatever you want to say about Liberty and class or lack of class, I will show you another who has LESS class and far more Cowardly.  I would rather be an AS*hole than a Coward any day of the week.

#BandanaVTDavis4321.  I didn't think RH would appeal to stay Class 2  and don't think they win appeal to stay Class 1, but will probably be wrong again.  Couple things workin against em already mentioned are domination in football, and easy travel and scheduling cause they set right off of I-81 and already are in a heavy Class 2 district.  The Valley is growin from people moving south from north Va, but another thing workin against em is that they are very compretitive in non-football sports.  If they weren't competitive in non footbal sports, then that could be a strong argument, but they are very good. I just don't know what the argument would be for em to win an appeal.  

2 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

#BandanaVTDavis4321.  I didn't think RH would appeal to stay Class 2  and don't think they win appeal to stay Class 1, but will probably be wrong again.  Couple things workin against em already mentioned are domination in football, and easy travel and scheduling cause they set right off of I-81 and already are in a heavy Class 2 district.  The Valley is growin from people moving south from north Va, but another thing workin against em is that they are very compretitive in non-football sports.  If they weren't competitive in non footbal sports, then that could be a strong argument, but they are very good. I just don't know what the argument would be for em to win an appeal.  

Yep, there's absolutely no question in my opinion, that the reasonable mind forms a rationale conclusion that they have no valid argument to stay in Class 2, but basically every factor given to grant the appeal for playing down in Class 1 is 100%  in the opposing direction.  However, here is where the concern rests.  We are all ASSuming that you have humans in charge that are making decisions based on facts, rationale, and reasonability from that rationality, and that is a dangerous thing in the USA in 2022 at nearly ANY insititution at ANY level.  Emotion, corruption, and greed rule (not always or most of the time) but often rule the day, and it has infected most institutions and most levels of our society.  Oh yea, it's growing too.  It's not stagnant or declining, but growing, so I have zero confidence the VHSL will deny their appeal.  

Last thing.....RH was likely getting VHSL cutoff numbers in the last 2 cycles before being released, and this has come from more than 1 or 2 people.  People in the Shenandoah Valley have been talking about it for years, and there was heavy speculation that these cowards were adjusting their enrollment numbers to remain in Class 1 the last 2 cycles, and they still managed to pull it off, even when it was obviously clear the VHSL was aware of these accusations.  So nope, I don't have much confidence that the VHSL deny their appeal.  Sanity left this funny farm we call the USA about 8 years ago, and the delusions, hallucinations, and dissociation are only getting worse.

All this aggression… I’m just sitting here smoking a cigar hoping that one day Giles has the numbers to move back up to Class 2 and be competitive enough to make Appo come to Pearisburg so they can hear my train horn for 2.5 straight hours… #ForeverSaltyAtAppo

10 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Spot on. Cowards.

Grundy, Hurley, and the Council basketball team moving out of the BDD really only matters for 1-2 seasons. I’m sure by 2025-2026, Buchanan County High School will be built and BCHS will join the M7 or SW Districts. 

council of course will remain in the Cumberland, but that’s likely only going to include basketball trips to Council and whatever other sports they can offer to the 75 kids that go there. 

10 minutes ago, Austrian Ben Shapiro said:

Grundy, Hurley, and the Council basketball team moving out of the BDD really only matters for 1-2 seasons. I’m sure by 2025-2026, Buchanan County High School will be built and BCHS will join the M7 or SW Districts. 

council of course will remain in the Cumberland, but that’s likely only going to include basketball trips to Council and whatever other sports they can offer to the 75 kids that go there. 

Is there an firm timeline on the consolidation in Buchanan?

Having lobbed a few darts their way on here, I will now give credit where it is due to LCA for its appeal to "play up" to Division 3.  I still have several concerns about them otherwise but I recognize this as a gesture of good will and sportsmanship on their part.

One quibble....  Don't refer to them as "Liberty."  The Bedford-based school had that identity long before Jerry Falwell ever co-opted it for use at his (then) small bible college in 1977.  And the segregation academy attached to what is now LU was known as Lynchburg Christian Academy until 2005.

Speaking of the Bedford-based school, since I don't see them included in the list of appeals I guess that means that they will continue to compete as a member of the Seminole District -- the only Division 2 school in that league.  To borrow a movie quote, that's a bold move.  Let's see how that works out for them.

49 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Speaking of the Bedford-based school, since I don't see them included in the list of appeals I guess that means that they will continue to compete as a member of the Seminole District -- the only Division 2 school in that league.  To borrow a movie quote, that's a bold move.  Let's see how that works out for them.

Liberty (Bedford): Liberty requests to move from Seminole District to the Dogwood District.

According to this they plan to join the Dogwood.

47 minutes ago, BoBob said:

Liberty (Bedford): Liberty requests to move from Seminole District to the Dogwood District.

According to this they plan to join the Dogwood.

I just saw that -- but thanks for the catch, BoBob.

Not sure how you and the rest of our new mates feel about it, but this makes a lot of sense from the Liberty perspective.  And I think LHS competed in the district back in the 1980s for a while.