Realignment 2023-2027

VHSLhelper

realignment-first-draft-appeals.73812

Sheesh. Hate that it shows up like that. Link is to a virginiapreps page by a Richmond-area poster,  Here's what it says...

Albemarle: Albemarle requests to move to Class 5, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 5, Region D.
Caroline: Caroline requests to move down to Class 3, Region B instead of their alignment assignment to Class 4, Region B.
Chesterfield Co. Chesterfield County Public Schools requests to appeal the current district alignment for Chesterfield County Schools which places them in two separate districts. Chesterfield County Public Schools is proposing the creation of a singular Chesterfield District comprised of the 10 high schools.

Colonial Forge: Colonial Forge requests to move up to Class 6, Region B instead of their alignment assignment to Class 5, Region D.
Council: Council requests to move to Cumberland District from Black Diamond District.
Deep Creek: Deep Creek requests to move down to Class 4, Region A instead of their alignment assignment to Class 5, Region A.
Deep Run: Deep Run requests to move down to Class 5, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 6, Region A.
Franklin Co.: Franklin County requests to move Class 5, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 5, Region D.
Freedom (LC) Loudoun County administration requests that Freedom move down to Class 5, Region D instead of their alignment assignment to Class 6, Region B.
Gainesville: Gainesville requests to move to up to Class 6, Region B instead of their alignment assignment to Class 5, Region D.
George Wythe (Wytheville): George Wythe requests to move down to Class 1, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region C.
Glen Allen: Glen Allen requests to move down to Class 5, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 6, Region A.
Grayson Co.: Grayson County request to move down to Class 1, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region C.
Grundy: Grundy requests to move to Hogoheegee District from Black Diamond District.
Hickory: Hickory requests to move up to Class 5, Region A instead of their alignment assignment to Class 4, Region A.
Hurley: Hurley requests to move to Cumberland District from Black Diamond District.
James River (Buchanan): James River requests to move down to Class 1, Region C instead of their alignment assignment Buchanan to Class 2, Region C.
John R. Lewis: John R. Lewis requests to move up to Class 6, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 5, Region D.
Liberty (Bedford): Liberty requests to move from Seminole District to the Dogwood District.
Liberty Christian: Liberty Christian Academy requests to move up to Class 3, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region C.
Loudoun Co. Schools: Loudoun County administration requests the formation of an additional district in Class 4 and due to the alignment assignments move affected schools to the appropriate districts.
Maggie Walker Governor's School: Maggie Walker requests to move up to Class 3, Region B instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region A.
Matoaca: Matoaca requests to move up to Class 5, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 4, Region B.

Mecklenburg: Mecklenburg requests to move down to Class 4, Region D instead of their alignment assignment to Class 5, Region C.
Monticello: Monticello requests to move down to Class 3, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 4, Region D.
Mount Vernon: Mount Vernon requests to move up to Class 6, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 5, Region D.
Mountain View-Q: Mountain View requests to move down to Class 1, Region B instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region B.
North Stafford: North Stafford requests to move up to Class 6, Region B instead of their alignment assignment to Class 5, Region D.
Patrick Henry (R): Patrick Henry-Roanoke requests to move down to Class 5, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 6, Region A.
Potomac Sr.: Potomac Sr. requests to move up to Class 6, Region B instead of their alignment assignment to Class 5, Region D.
Randolph-Henry: Randolph-Henry requests to move down to Class 1, Region B instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region A.
Riverheads: Riverheads requests to move down to Class 1, Region instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region B.
Sherando: Sherando requests to move down to Class 4, Region D instead of their alignment assignment to Class 5, Region D.
Thomas Jefferson (Alexandria): Thomas Jefferson requests to move up to Class 6, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 4, Region C.
Warwick: Warwick requests to move down to Class 4, Region A instead of their alignment assignment to Class 5, Region B.
William Fleming: William Fleming requests to move to Class 5, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 5, Region D.
William Monroe: William Monroe requests to move to Valley District from the Northwestern District.

4 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

I just saw that -- but thanks for the catch, BoBob.

Not sure how you and the rest of our new mates feel about it, but this makes a lot of sense from the Liberty perspective.  And I think LHS competed in the district back in the 1980s for a while.

I'm fine with them joining.  I just wish for football you could NOT play some teams in your district.  I know everything goes in cycles but it sure hasn't helped Appomattox the past few years winning most of their regular season games by 40-50+ points.   I loved playing Lord Botetouet (sp?) this year and Heritage is always a tough game that we need to play.  In 2016 we played highly ranked teams in class 3 and 4. WE still played our district teams (infact Dan River was real good that year, Union just barley got by them on a last minute big pass to Mitchell) but come playoff time we were ready for the harder competition. 

1 hour ago, BoBob said:

I'm fine with them joining.  I just wish for football you could NOT play some teams in your district.  I know everything goes in cycles but it sure hasn't helped Appomattox the past few years winning most of their regular season games by 40-50+ points.   I loved playing Lord Botetouet (sp?) this year and Heritage is always a tough game that we need to play.  In 2016 we played highly ranked teams in class 3 and 4. WE still played our district teams (infact Dan River was real good that year, Union just barley got by them on a last minute big pass to Mitchell) but come playoff time we were ready for the harder competition. 

BoBob, I haven't heard much out of the Appo fans this preseason.   What does Appo have this year?  Projected to be better, worse, about the same, etc?  I know all about the future Hokie Stud you all have down their at Linebacker.  I know you replace a 4 year starter at QB who was a beast.  Is the new starter as talented?  Also, whatever happened to the Davis Mavin or Mavin Davis kid? ( know the name is off, but remember he kind of had a weird type name.  That kid could fly and was superathletic.  Is he going on to play small college anywhere?  I thought he should have been recruited higher than what the recruiting services had him at.

On 8/9/2022 at 7:58 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Riverheads appeals.  It's official.  Sorry man, this may not be very Christian like, and I will need to pray on this one, but that's a first class POS move in my opinion.  It's wrong, it's the act of a freakin coward, and it's the actions of either a coward or two cowards in charge of Riverheads.  You have won how many state titles in a row and have the longest winning streak in America (I think they do) and you are in a shi**y football region for Class 2 schools and have no distance issues, and your numbers are clearly, clearly in Class 2 range and with people spreading out from the political wokeism from NOVA, I-81 and the Shenandoah Valley is growing and projected to only grow.  Sorry man, just got to call it like I see it.  That's lowclass and I was one that always defended Riverheads on this board about their class and ability to compete in Class 2 (which I still believe they certainly can and would win some Class 2 titles in the last 7 years) but my respect went to ZERO.  Nothing against the kids at Riverheads who are youngsters and have no say or control in the matter and they play with class and respect, but as for the AD, school official or officials calling this shot to appeal, just a low class move, period.  Only my opinion.  Some may feel different.  As for me, you are now known and referred to as COWARD High School.  Again, absolutely nothing against the young kids, but for your leaders, COWARDS, period.  

Read this and walk away from the computer for a second and just think about this.

1.  7 or so state titles in a row (or something like that.) 

2.  Nation's longest winning streak 

3.  No travel issues regarding distance or scheduling.

4.  Located in arguably the least competitive Class 2 football region in Virginia.

5.  Cleary Class 2 numbers, and...........

You appeal to play down?  COWARDS, period.

The fact that riverheads applied to stay class 1 certainly gives those who have stated that they have been playing the numbers game all along some credit 

On 8/10/2022 at 9:00 PM, Liam McPoyle said:

Ironically, that's what everybody says about Thomas Walker.

Lee county in general is a heck of a drive.. Put kids on a cheese wagon and it makes for a very long trip.

On 8/10/2022 at 5:00 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

BoBob, I haven't heard much out of the Appo fans this preseason.   What does Appo have this year?  Projected to be better, worse, about the same, etc?  I know all about the future Hokie Stud you all have down their at Linebacker.  I know you replace a 4 year starter at QB who was a beast.  Is the new starter as talented?  Also, whatever happened to the Davis Mavin or Mavin Davis kid? ( know the name is off, but remember he kind of had a weird type name.  That kid could fly and was superathletic.  Is he going on to play small college anywhere?  I thought he should have been recruited higher than what the recruiting services had him at.

Not 100% sure.  Now that my boys are through the program I don't get the scoop as much as I use to.  

I do think they will still be good as they have a few "high levels" on the field.  The new QB is a junior who is gaining some college attention for his size, ability, and the fact that he is a very smart kid. 

He is is good runner but no where near what we had the last few years at that position.  I do see him being a much better passer though. His ability to get the ball down field (I think) will make him dangerous because he is able to hurt you to some degree with his legs. 

On 8/10/2022 at 5:20 PM, CPF said:

Pennix is back correct? That alone makes them trouble. 

Yes, Pennix is back and like stated, that will be a problem for a lot of teams.  I know he gets a lot of attention due to his offensive skills but that kid can lock down a receiver with the best of them. 

1 hour ago, BoBob said:

Not 100% sure.  Now that my boys are through the program I don't get the scoop as much as I use to.  

I do think they will still be good as they have a few "high levels" on the field.  The new QB is a junior who is gaining some college attention for his size, ability, and the fact that he is a very smart kid. 

He is is good runner but no where near what we had the last few years at that position.  I do see him being a much better passer though. His ability to get the ball down field (I think) will make him dangerous because he is able to hurt you to some degree with his legs. 

Yes, Pennix is back and like stated, that will be a problem for a lot of teams.  I know he gets a lot of attention due to his offensive skills but that kid can lock down a receiver with the best of them. 

Pennix is incredible. Appo has to much talent, too much of a program now on autopilot with the obvious great coaching in my opinion to favor Radford, Glenvar, or an improved Martinsville team, etc. I know Radford is supposed to be really good with what they return, but Appomattox is the hands down favorite in 2C in my book. It is kind of like Galax in 1C, and you have to be crazy to pick against them to come out of the region. They are not certainties, but they are dang near close in VA Region C Class 1 and 2. That's Galax and Appo until proven otherwise.

3 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Pennix is incredible. Appo has to much talent, too much of a program now on autopilot with the obvious great coaching in my opinion to favor Radford, Glenvar, or an improved Martinsville team, etc. I know Radford is supposed to be really good with what they return, but Appomattox is the hands down favorite in 2C in my book.

Glenvar and Radford are always good and well coached.  I've also heard that Martinsville may make a run this year. 

The Raiders will be good.  How good is up to developing some some lineman to fill some holes. I think the fact that the QB from last year leaving will help develop the team overall.  He was a talent for sure but I think they will still be effective even with a little less talent at the position (running wise). 

Sifting through the Virginia Department of Education website for s*its and giggles. Riverheads High School enrollment has grown every year since 2017-2018.

2016-2017 = 476
2017-2018 = 454
2018-2019 = 457
2019-2020 = 460
2020-2021 = 468
2021-2022 = 477

But we're supposed to believe this is a one-off situation based on an unusually large freshman class? Going back to the mid 2000's, It seems to me this is far more likely to be a situation where the anomaly is the lower numbers from 2017-2020 and enrollment figures are reverting back to the mean.

With that said, Riverheads appeal hearing is Tuesday morning with a final decision coming later that afternoon. 

22 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Sifting through the Virginia Department of Education website for s*its and giggles. Riverheads High School enrollment has grown every year since 2017-2018.

2016-2017 = 476
2017-2018 = 454
2018-2019 = 457
2019-2020 = 460
2020-2021 = 468
2021-2022 = 477

But we're supposed to believe this is a one-off situation based on an unusually large freshman class? Going back to the mid 2000's, It seems to me this is far more likely to be a situation where the anomaly is the lower numbers from 2017-2020 and enrollment figures are reverting back to the mean.

With that said, Riverheads appeal hearing is Tuesday morning with a final decision coming later that afternoon. 

I bet they let them stay in D1....VHSL don't care

5 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Let Grundy back into the SWD for its closing years. They’d probably still finish 5th above Marion and maybe even compete for 3rd/4th with Richlands, Tazewell and Virginia. 

as for Hurley, Council, and TV, they’re out of luck. Council especially since they’re basically a basketball only member. Hurley and TV should just feign independence for their waning years and play a schedule made up of Grundy, Honaker, other assorted SWVA cupcakes (Castlewood, Northwood, Rye Cove, etc.), and teams from SOWV and EKY. 

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I bet they let them stay in D1....VHSL don't care

I’m not so sure they win the appeal. That “abnormally large freshman class” we hear so much about doesn’t hold water. Sure, it’s a bit larger than the current sophomore, junior and senior classes. But when you look at the current 8th grade numbers, they are actually larger than the current freshman class. VHSL didn’t assign arbitrary classification cutoffs for this very reason in my opinion. The previous 4-year cycle Class 1 cutoff was 475. That doesn’t exist with the upcoming cycle. 

My prediction is, Riverheads will lose the appeal and be forced to play the next 4-year cycle at Class 2. Augusta County is currently planning a large scale renovation and build of two new middle schools. One at Riverheads and one at Buffalo Gap. During this 4-year cycle in Class 2, Augusta County will redraw division boundaries in an attempt to ensure RH and BG both end up in Class 1 for the following 4-year cycle. Which is what they did in 2014. 

16 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I’m not so sure they win the appeal. That “abnormally large freshman class” we hear so much about doesn’t hold water. Sure, it’s a bit larger than the current sophomore, junior and senior classes. But when you look at the current 8th grade numbers, they are actually larger than the current freshman class. VHSL didn’t assign arbitrary classification cutoffs for this very reason in my opinion. The previous 4-year cycle Class 1 cutoff was 475. That doesn’t exist with the upcoming cycle. 

My prediction is, Riverheads will lose the appeal and be forced to play the next 4-year cycle at Class 2. Augusta County is currently planning a large scale renovation and build of two new middle schools. One at Riverheads and one at Buffalo Gap. During this 4-year cycle in Class 2, Augusta County will redraw division boundaries in an attempt to ensure RH and BG both end up in Class 1 for the following 4-year cycle. Which is what they did in 2014. 

Guess we'll find out Tuesday....but you may be right 

1 hour ago, Austrian Ben Shapiro said:

Let Grundy back into the SWD for its closing years. They’d probably still finish 5th above Marion and maybe even compete for 3rd/4th with Richlands, Tazewell and Virginia. 

as for Hurley, Council, and TV, they’re out of luck. Council especially since they’re basically a basketball only member. Hurley and TV should just feign independence for their waning years and play a schedule made up of Grundy, Honaker, other assorted SWVA cupcakes (Castlewood, Northwood, Rye Cove, etc.), and teams from SOWV and EKY. 

Difficult situation for Buchanan schools.

Need to hit the gas on the consolidation.

I had an interesting meeting last night with a longtime regional newspaper man in attendance. He told me Grayson and George Wythe lost their appeal to VHSL to play down to Class 1. He also said preliminary (unofficial) reports out of Charlottesville suggest Riverheads lost their appeal on Tuesday. He went on to say, it appears VHSL was being a little more heavy-handed in granting appeals. As of last night, none have been granted with the noted exception of a couple of schools that appealed to play up.

I haven't seen anything reported yet, though. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

As of last night, none have been granted with the noted exception of a couple of schools that appealed to play up.

We can only hope. What's the point in setting limits if they're flexible?  And the excuse "our numbers will drop before the next cycle" is bs, that's what mid-cycle appeals are for.

I've been told that over 200 emails were written to VHSL Director Billy Haun requesting to deny Riverheads Appeal.  The ruling has been made this morning and it should be released for the public by tonight.  I'm hearing it's not looking good for Riverheads just like Sixcat mentioned.  

Source:  Riverheads fan and former player that works with me and lives 2 doors down.  I know, kind of weak on the source, but that's all I got.