Realignment 2023-2027

VHSLhelper

5 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

According to Tanner Cook with the KTN. Honaker is now officially a Hogoheegee member next year and Lebanon will be returning  to the Southwest District 

Lebanon is gonna have a hard time in the SWD. All the SWD teams seem to be uprising but heard lebanon is too!

A day after the meeting and I still don't know where my local high school will be landing.  Obviously the decision has been made and several other folks are reporting their results publicly, so I can't understand why the VHSL hasn't posted the minutes yet.

And in my particular case it's like waiting to hear who will win in the category of Best Actor in a Portugese Documentary.  Diogo Morgado has a strong fanbase, but nobody is likely to be surprised or upset if it actually turns out to be Joaquim de Almeida.  Just tell us already.

2 hours ago, Bluebird said:

I can not believe Liberty Bedford has to stay in the seminole district when they have the enrollment numbers to be in the dogwood district and the want to go to the dogwood district.  

Maybe they should threaten legal action? Worked for Kelly Wilmore.

On 9/7/2022 at 6:58 AM, sixcat said:

An article in today's Galax Gazette concerning VHSL denying the Grayson County appeal to drop to 1A rather than be moved back to 2A is quite interesting. Grayson County superintendent Kelly Wilmore is quoted as saying "I'm not giving up on the matter. It could definitely end up in court."

Making veiled threats of lawsuits is a bold strategy Cotton. Let's see how that works out for him.

Grayson won their appeal to stay down. I disagree with this the numbers say move up and I believe they should move up like the rest of schoold did. Hard to understand how they were turned down the first time but not the second time ...   politics maybe? Not sure but I believe you go where the numbers say you go. Just my opinion.

13 minutes ago, Hokie Bound said:

Grayson won their appeal to stay down. I disagree with this the numbers say move up and I believe they should move up like the rest of schoold did. Hard to understand how they were turned down the first time but not the second time ...   politics maybe? Not sure but I believe you go where the numbers say you go. Just my opinion.

GW had a valid reason given why they were granted the appeal.  Was there a reason given for Grayson?

4 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

GW had a valid reason given why they were granted the appeal.  Was there a reason given for Grayson?

Based on some social media posts (Grayson superintendent is a lunatic), their argument was undue hardship because of added travel. Apparently, Grayson argued they would have to move into the Three Rivers District or Southwest District if they were forced to move up to Class 2, which would significantly increase travel time.

14 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Maybe they should threaten legal action? Worked for Kelly Wilmore.

At this point I don't think the Liberty fanbase even cares much anymore.  Which is the point of scholastic athletics anyway, right?

Nicely done, VHSL.  Nicely done.

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

Based on some social media posts (Grayson superintendent is a lunatic), their argument was undue hardship because of added travel. Apparently, Grayson argued they would have to move into the Three Rivers District or Southwest District if they were forced to move up to Class 2, which would significantly increase travel time.

Grayson at 364 should have moved up. Thats too big of a discreptency in Class 1. If they were allowed to stay down then what about Lebanon at 363, Randolph-Henry at 360, James River at 359, Riverheads (I know) at 357, and Mountain View at 355? Seems fishy to me again just my opinion. I admire Lebanon for taking the hand they were dealt not crying about it and moving back up. In two years I hope they come back down if the numbers warrant it.

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

Abingdon is in the M7 and same type scenario so I call bull on that as an arguement

2 minutes ago, Hokie Bound said:

Grayson at 364 should have moved up. Thats too big of a discreptency in Class 1. If they were allowed to stay down then what about Lebanon at 363, Randolph-Henry at 360, James River at 359, Riverheads (I know) at 357, and Mountain View at 355? Seems fishy to me again just my opinion.

I don't necessarily disagree. Why have hard caps between classifications if you aren't going to stand behind them? What's to stop East Rockingham or Hidden Valley from making he same argument to play down to Class 2? Both are similarly over the Class 3 cut-off as Grayson. 

With that said, Grayson belongs in Class 1. They aren't overly competitive even then. But rules are rules and they should play where their enrollment says they should play. 

2 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Abingdon is in the M7 and same type scenario so I call bull on that as an arguement

Why would Grayson have to move out of the MED? Fort Chiswell played in the MED for years as a Class 2 team as did Grayson County prior to moving down to Class 1 a few years ago.

1 hour ago, MT FAN 91 said:

People from from Grayson claim Riverheads was cheaters for winning in class one like most people in the state claim but now you're no different other than the fact you have more students and will never win like Riverheads

My exact point! Grayson just beat Rural Retreat 39-0 yet someone said they are not that competitive. That seems pretty competitive plus winning brings out more kids and when you are already the biggest fish in the pond odds are your programs will keep getting better. Ask the rest of Class 1 and I'll bet you they say move them to Class 2. The consistent winners in Class 1 are the ones with the biggest enrollments if you check on a yearly basis. There are exceptions but these exceptions are rare.

Plain and simple fact is Grayson could of stayed in the MED with zero issues. The only time that travel would been different would of been during playoffs. Which if you look at the geography of 1C and 2C is minimal difference.  Grayson county is now the laughing stock of 1A