Scrimmages/Benefit games

redtiger

9 minutes ago, Austrian Ben Shapiro said:

Who is playing in the B&W festival and times if you have those?

It’s only Richlands. Instead of just a Blue/White game, they’ve made it into a day-long festival. 
Varsity will scrimmage. JV, middle school & RMFL will all scrimmage as well. 

Plus: 
INFLATABLES • FACE PAINTING • DANCE PARTY ON THE FIELD
•DUNKING BOOTH • VENDORS WELCOME •
CHILI COOKOFF • PIE BAKING CONTEST • DJ & LIVE MUSIC

And fireworks at 10pm. 

Tazewell

Scrimmage: @Radford, August 12th, 7:00 PM

Benefit: @Chilhowie, August 19th, 7:00 PM

Meet the Bulldogs - Cruise in - Inflatables - Food Trucks - Fundraiser - Foam party, August 20th from 6:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m. on Main Street in Tazewell and Yes.....a Parade!!

14 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

It’s only Richlands. Instead of just a Blue/White game, they’ve made it into a day-long festival. 
Varsity will scrimmage. JV, middle school & RMFL will all scrimmage as well. 

Plus: 
INFLATABLES • FACE PAINTING • DANCE PARTY ON THE FIELD
•DUNKING BOOTH • VENDORS WELCOME •
CHILI COOKOFF • PIE BAKING CONTEST • DJ & LIVE MUSIC

And fireworks at 10pm. 

Are you going to be in the dunk tank?  If so, Imma showing up!  😄

Scrimmage Games listed as being on NFHS. Don't know if they will be, but they are listed on the NFHS schedule.

1. Giles vs Hidden Valley on the 11th and Giles vs Cburg on the 19th. First discrepancy....I thought we scrimmaged HV on the 12th, so does NFHS have it wrong or has the scrimmage date been moved? I think NFHS has it wrong

2. Tazewell vs Radford on the 12th.

3. Galax vs Hedgesville on the 19th.

4. Richlands vs Grundy on the 18th.

5. Appomattox vs Liberty on the 12th.

6. Glenvar vs William Byrd on the 12th.

7. Blacksburg vs Floyd County on the 12th.

8. Pulaski vs Franklin County on the 12th

9. Lee vs DuktheCook Walker on 19th.

10. Buckingham Co. vs Halifax Co 19th.

11. Gretna vs Halifax Co. On the 12th

Teams that have NO scrimmages scheduled/listed to be on NFHS as of today are Bluefield, Union, Ridgeview, Graham, Chilhowie, Holston, Gate City, McCluer, Riverheads, Narrows, Salem, LCA, Burton.

30 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Scrimmage Games listed as being on NFHS. Don't know if they will be, but they are listed on the NFHS schedule.

1. Giles vs Hidden Valley on the 11th and Giles vs Cburg on the 19th. First discrepancy....I thought we scrimmaged HV on the 12th, so does NFHS have it wrong or has the scrimmage date been moved? I think NFHS has it wrong

Teams that have NO scrimmages scheduled/listed to be on NFHS as of today are Bluefield, Union, Ridgeview, Graham, Chilhowie, Holston, Gate City, McCluer, Riverheads, Narrows, Salem, LCA, Burton.

DuktheCook Walker......good one

Anyone have word on what Ridgeview is going to do?  Did they get a taker for their empty scrimmage date?  Also, any of the Gmen fans that can speak to what happened to the RV/ Graham benefit game and why Graham moved on from that?  It’s quite a bit of travel for sure.

4 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Anyone have word on what Ridgeview is going to do?  Did they get a taker for their empty scrimmage date?  Also, any of the Gmen fans that can speak to what happened to the RV/ Graham benefit game and why Graham moved on from that?  It’s quite a bit of travel for sure.

That was last year. They don't usually do a home/home with benefit games do they?

4 hours ago, T8KNDookeez said:

That was last year. They don't usually do a home/home with benefit games do they?

Got it.  I thought someone told me that Graham was originally scheduled for that slot.  

40 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Hedgesville, WV is going all the way to Galax for a benefit?

Si. Correcto. 4:42 by car, but add the bus time in, and it's a good 5 hour haul. I've learned that in many scrimmage games like this over the years where 1 team travels a long distance, there is often (not always), but often some connection most fans don't know about. For example, coaches are friends or some historic interest in the area the visiting team wants to see. Hampton High at the Pulaski Grid O Rama in the 80s comes to mind, but Mike Smith (Hampton), Joel Hicks (Pulaski), Glynn Carlock (Graham) were all close friends. So, what better way for Smith to see his friends and for some young 17 year old city slickers to see the mountains and other side of Virginia. If I'm not mistaken, Salem was also at that gridorama. I think this was before Salem started its Jamboree/Gridorama of its own, and Willis White of Salem was also in that coaching click with Hicks, Carlock, Smith, among others.

10 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Si. Correcto. 4:42 by car, but add the bus time in, and it's a good 5 hour haul. I've learned that in many scrimmage games like this over the years where 1 team travels a long distance, there is often (not always), but often some connection most fans don't know about. For example, coaches are friends or some historic interest in the area the visiting team wants to see. Hampton High at the Pulaski Grid O Rama in the 80s comes to mind, but Mike Smith (Hampton), Joel Hicks (Pulaski), Glynn Carlock (Graham) were all close friends. So, what better way for Smith to see his friends and for some young 17 year old city slickers to see the mountains and other side of Virginia. If I'm not mistaken, Salem was also at that gridorama. I think this was before Salem started its Jamboree/Gridorama of its own, and Willis White of Salem was also in that coaching click with Hicks, Carlock, Smith, among others.

Im a fan of traveling for scrimmages (admittedly never done it), let the kids see new areas and if you think your team will make a run get them used to traveling. After a few weeks of practice traveling wouldnt be so bad, although id rather go to a grid-o-rama type setup vs a benefit game. 

19 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Appomattox has a benefit game against LCA. 

1 hour ago, BHS03 said:

8/13 10:00 AM

Bluefield will be scrimmaging Abingdon and VA High at Emory & Henry

8/19 6:00 PM

Bluefield will be scrimmaging Jefferson Forest & Lord Botetourt 

That August 13th lineup at Emory looks good.  I might had over that way to watch that.  A lot of good talent between those three teams.