Scrimmages/Benefit games

redtiger

Watched Union v Elizabethton this evening. The Bears starters and rotation players matched up well physically with Betsy. They did a great job of running between the tackles and stopping the run on defense. It was one of those scrimmages where the starters took the ball at one 40 yard line, while the JV/Freshmen took the ball over at the other. I mostly watched the starters, but the JV team had a tall kid playing QB for them. I don't really keep track of scoring in a scrimmage like this, but I had Union with 2 TD and a FG while Betsy had 2 TD and 2 FG. Union also had a ton of penalties. In a short summation, it looked like a typical Union team. 

2 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

Watched Union v Elizabethton this evening. The Bears starters and rotation players matched up well physically with Betsy. They did a great job of running between the tackles and stopping the run on defense. It was one of those scrimmages where the starters took the ball at one 40 yard line, while the JV/Freshmen took the ball over at the other. I mostly watched the starters, but the JV team had a tall kid playing QB for them. I don't really keep track of scoring in a scrimmage like this, but I had Union with 2 TD and a FG while Betsy had 2 TD and 2 FG. Union also had a ton of penalties. In a short summation, it looked like a typical Union team. 

Agree. The QB for Union is more mobile than Bunch. Bunch was a stud and will be missed, but the QB can move and throw on the run pretty well from what I saw.  Pretty athletic kid who is kind of raw, but obviously has a high ceiling.

15 hours ago, EH31 said:

Not arguing the reason on why outside food should be or should not be allowed but to comment on what’s wrong with bringing McNuggets into a game is that if you are doing that then you’re most likely not visiting the concession stand. The concession stand is a great way (at most schools) to raise money & provide funding for the programs that the school system itself does not provide. 

I know what you are saying but I'll counter two parts there.  One, some of the concession foods are outrageous on prices (see Central) also not very good.  Secondly, I'm not going to buy from there anyway.  I'll get something before or after the game either way as I always did.

56 minutes ago, Dobb83 said:

who was playing left D end for Union? looked like a big boy!!

According to MaxPreps, his name is Gabe Sneed and they list him at 6'5 245. MaxPreps rosters can be notoriously wrong sometimes, but he is indeed a big dude. 

9 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

@Union_Fan you have been on this board long enough to know that if you don't get this kid's height and weight exactly right a mom is going to come on here and blast every one of us for talking trash about her son.

LOL. Shew,  I don't need any of that, so I copied directly from his Twitter page. 🙂

Just to be on the safe side though...... 6' 8", 260 lbs of solid muscle and long blonde hair the color of golden honey. That might keep me out of trouble!

The size conversation reminds me of an interview Lord Botetourt head coach Jamie Harless did a few weeks ago on one of the Roanoke stations. 

"Couple of the best linemen I ever coached in my life weighed 165 pounds. It's 'cause they'd run through your mouth and come out your rear end!"

Edit to add a link to the video. https://www.wdbj7.com/2022/07/29/lord-botetourt-will-again-rely-solid-line-play-daleville/

3 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

@Union_Fan you have been on this board long enough to know that if you don't get this kid's height and weight exactly right a mom is going to come on here and blast every one of us for talking trash about her son.

I casually met them once and had a long conversation with them.   Can see this being 100% truth.  That being said, he is a big kid with a great frame.  We will see about the motor and skill.

The LOS for Union on both sides of the ball is very strong this season. Especially on the offensive side. That’s what makes the T go, and that’s what makes Union go. If Union can develop anything in the spread, it will make them very dynamic. i.e. 2015,2017. Both final 4 teams. 

Not saying this is a final 4 team, but this team can IMO bring some success back to Bullitt Park. 

This might have been answered but is the George Wythe hosted jamboree being broadcast on NFHS? Thinking of heading that way as there are quite a few SWVA teams and some good matchups there.  Anyone else going?  

6 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

This might have been answered but is the George Wythe hosted jamboree being broadcast on NFHS? Thinking of heading that way as there are quite a few SWVA teams and some good matchups there.  Anyone else going?  

I’ll be there checking out Galax, GW, and Narz since Giles plays all 3early in the season

28 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I’ll be there checking out Galax, GW, and Narz since Giles plays all 3early in the season

28 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Yeah, that’s a must hit if you’re a Giles fan, or Coach.  I wish there were a few more Class 2 teams there but I understand that they are all in Region D which limits some matchups.  I’ll be watching RIdgeview, Richlands and Galax mainly.  I’m glad to see they grabbed a NC team…wish they had a few more.  Always good to scrimmage teams you haven’t seen before.  

For those going to the George Wythe jamboree, Mount Airy is a traditional 1A powerhouse in North Carolina. They always seem to have a D1 player or three on the roster. Current Wake Forest star WR Donovan Greene is from Mount Airy. The Mount Airy - East Surry rivalry is something to behold. East Surry currently has a QB with 60+ D1 offers in Folger Boaz. His brother Jefferson is a QB at UNC. 

49 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

I'm heading to Wythevlle to watch it.  I was torn a bit because I also wanted to see Tazewell at Radford, but that game is 6pm, but good ole NFHS is bringing it on, so I will watch that one when I get home and see how those two look.  Tazewell is obviously going to be better, and Radford fans are talking potential Region C champs over the likes of Appo and Glenvar with the talent they have.  Unless something changes in the next couple of days, the scrimmages in Wytheville (basically might as well be a full blown gridorama with all of those teams) are NOT on NFHS).  SwvaOG, I may find you over there.  I remember what your brother looked like, so I will try and find you if I'm on the RV fan side.

P.S. sixcat, just read your post also.  Better strap em up and put the pads on tight. Mt. Airy is one bad outfit. Think in terms of Graham, Appomattox, Bluefield, Fairmont Sr., and probably Ridgeview this year and Union on most years.  They are legit and loaded with talent year in and year out.

3 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

I get off at 4:30 and will head that way. Hope to not miss too much of Richlands/Narz. 

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

For those going to the George Wythe jamboree, Mount Airy is a traditional 1A powerhouse in North Carolina. They always seem to have a D1 player or three on the roster. Current Wake Forest star WR Donovan Greene is from Mount Airy. The Mount Airy - East Surry rivalry is something to behold. East Surry currently has a QB with 60+ D1 offers in Folger Boaz. His brother Jefferson is a QB at UNC. 

The scrimmage is not on the schedule of upcoming events for George Wythe on NFHS.

4 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I'm heading to Wythevlle to watch it.  I was torn a bit because I also wanted to see Tazewell at Radford, but that game is 6pm, but good ole NFHS is bringing it on, so I will watch that one when I get home and see how those two look.  Tazewell is obviously going to be better, and Radford fans are talking potential Region C champs over the likes of Appo and Glenvar with the talent they have.  Unless something changes in the next couple of days, the scrimmages in Wytheville (basically might as well be a full blown gridorama with all of those teams) are NOT on NFHS).  SwvaOG, I may find you over there.  I remember what your brother looked like, so I will try and find you if I'm on the RV fan side.

P.S. sixcat, just read your post also.  Better strap em up and put the pads on tight. Mt. Airy is one bad outfit. Think in terms of Graham, Appomattox, Bluefield, Fairmont Sr., and probably Ridgeview this year and Union on most years.  They are legit and loaded with talent year in and year out.

@BandanaVTDavis4321 I shot you an email.  Be good to grab a coke and some popcorn and catch some football Friday night.  @Ryan4VT  You're welcome to join us...but you have to buy the chili dogs.  Lol.

On 8/8/2022 at 4:14 PM, Mountain Football said:

I have taken a pocket knife to many games. Never really thought anything of it. Why are they banning cameras with detachable lenses? There will be some pretty upset kids if Emily Ball can't take their pictures lol.

She's credited with a lot of the Bristol Herald Courier photos now, so doesn't she work for them?  If so, I'm sure she'll be an exception with a media pass...

On 8/8/2022 at 3:05 PM, stu_bean said:

My understanding is it will be voted on at the meeting tonight.  I know quite a few that will be attending speaking up against it.  I just say use a bit of common sense instead of being ridiculous on some of the stuff.  Stuff like no outside food or drinks is crazy.  What is wrong with stopping at McDs and heading into Mitchell Stadium with some nuggets???

Probably shouldn't tell this one on myself but I always have a knife clipped on my pocket and never thought anything about just walking into the games wherever it was at.  Now have to make sure I don't forget to take it off.  I see attendance for the Taz Co games being down at least some.  Lots of those stadium seats that will now be illegal plus umbrellas.  If it even thinks about raining, the stands will be empty.  Lastly, what the crap is wrong with bringing in a cowbell???   One of the political candidates was giving them out at the games a few years back.

Most places won't let you bring in outside food at all these days.  At Dobyns-Bennett you can't bring in food or umbrellas.  That's probably why last year's game against Science Hill was only attended by about 100 diehards like myself who didn't mind sitting out in a monsoon for three hours.