2022 High School Golf

sixcat

Something of note for those that don't normally follow high school golf. VHSL runs and controls tournament play through the end of Regionals. The Virginia State Golf Association (VSGA) runs and controls state tournaments. It may not seem like a key distinction but it's quite significant. VHSL routinely implements a maximum score per hole policy to speed up play, limit blowup holes, and not have kids shooting their body weight. VHSL maximum score per hole is typically double par so, an 8 on a par 4 would be the maximum score anyone could get on any particular par 4. A 6 on a par 3 and a 10 on a par 5, so one and so forth. 

VSGA enforces a strict "USGA rules govern play" policy so their is no maximum score per hole. Everyone must play the ball through the hole. That has been reflected in some of the scores, especially at Olde Mill. The dramatic elevation changes, forest surrounding the golf course, forced carries, and abundance of water have led to some whopping scores. It also means rounds are extremely slow so, even though the first guys are teeing off at 9:00am, they won't finish until close to 3:00pm. Considering the better players typically tee off ahead of the weaker players, play will get significantly slower as the day progresses. 

I'll try to keep scores posted as much as I can but it could be nearing dark before play concludes. 

VHSL Class 3 State Championship 
Stonehenge Golf & Country Club
Richmond, Virginia
October 11, 2022

Team Leaderboard

1. Abingdon 306 (+18)
2. Lord Botetourt 318 (+30)
3. Meridian 324 (+36)
T4. Charlottesville 327 (+39)
T4. New Kent 327 (+39)
6. York 335 (+47)
7. Goochland 338 (+50)
8. Rockbridge County 351 (+63)

Individual Leaderboard 

1. Preston Burton | Charlottesville | 69 (-3)
2. Grace Addison | Abingdon | 71 (-1)
3. Owen Bright | Cave Spring | 72 (E)
4. Ashton Harper | Lord Botetourt | 73 (+1)
5. Killian Donnelly | Fluvanna | 75 (+3)
T6. Conner Brummitt | Abingdon | 76 (+4)
T6. Noah Peng | Meridian | 76 (+4)
T6. Mason Funk | Abingdon | 76 (+4)
T6. Hunter Duncan | Lord Botetourt | 76 (+4)
10. Patrick McCrickard | Magna Vista 77 (+5)

Top 10 plus ties earn All-State honors (listed above).

VHSL Class 1 State Championship 
Olde Mill Resort
Laurel Fork, Virginia
October 11, 2022

Team Leaderboard

1. Galax 322 (+34)
T2. George Wythe 348 (+60)
T2. Middlesex 348 (+60)
4. Castlewood 349 (+61)
5. Lancaster 360 (+72)
6. Patrick Henry 398 (+110)
7. Riverheads 417 (129)
8. Central Lunenburg 442 (+154)

Individual Leaderboard 

1. Grayden Laird | Galax | 73 (+1)
T2. Talon Gentry | Galax | 74 (+2)
T2. Benson Blevins | George Wythe | 74 (+2)
4. David Goode | George Wythe | 75 (+3)
5. Cameron Grabeel | Thomas Walker | 76 (+4)
6. Carson Iroler | Galax | 78 (+6)
7. Payton Lambert | Middlesex | 79 (+7)
8. Claire Beitel | Lancaster | 80 (+8)
9. Chase Coley | Chilhowie | 81 (+9)
T10. Abby Bradley | Castlewood | 83 (+11)
T10. Garrison Robbins | Middlesex | 83 (+11)

Top 10 plus ties earn All-State honors (listed above).

Galax is set up nicely for the foreseeable future. Grayden is a sophomore and his twin brothers will be varsity eligible next fall. Their dad is the head professional at Blue Ridge Country Club and the Galax golf coach. Talon is a junior with a silky smooth golf swing. Carson is a freshman and probably has the most upside of the bunch. He hits it a mile and absolutely flushes his irons. When he gets more consistent on the greens, he will skyrocket. 

I've known these kids their whole lives. I look forward to the next few years.

5 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Was friends with Carson’s Dad in college. Been following him due to that connection. Definitely off to a good start to his career. 

Justin is as good a guy as you’ll find anywhere. He was both my daughters principal through middle school. 

State championships for this side of the state (not necessarily SWVASports coverage area).

Blacksburg - 1968, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2016, 2017, 2021, 2022
Floyd - 1985, 2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2020, 2021, 2022
Abingdon - 2000, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2022
Galax - 1973, 1988, 2004, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2022
George Wythe - 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020
Powell Valley - 1981, 1983, 1999
Giles - 2002, 2009, 2016
Independence (Grayson County) - 1975, 1976
Marion - 1977, 1986
JJ Kelly - 2003
Holston - 2013
Lee - 1990
Auburn - 2017
Graham - 2013
Union - 2018
Radford - 2019

On 10/11/2022 at 8:19 AM, sixcat said:

Something of note for those that don't normally follow high school golf. VHSL runs and controls tournament play through the end of Regionals. The Virginia State Golf Association (VSGA) runs and controls state tournaments. It may not seem like a key distinction but it's quite significant. VHSL routinely implements a maximum score per hole policy to speed up play, limit blowup holes, and not have kids shooting their body weight. VHSL maximum score per hole is typically double par so, an 8 on a par 4 would be the maximum score anyone could get on any particular par 4. A 6 on a par 3 and a 10 on a par 5, so one and so forth. 

VSGA enforces a strict "USGA rules govern play" policy so their is no maximum score per hole. Everyone must play the ball through the hole. That has been reflected in some of the scores, especially at Olde Mill. The dramatic elevation changes, forest surrounding the golf course, forced carries, and abundance of water have led to some whopping scores. It also means rounds are extremely slow so, even though the first guys are teeing off at 9:00am, they won't finish until close to 3:00pm. Considering the better players typically tee off ahead of the weaker players, play will get significantly slower as the day progresses. 

I'll try to keep scores posted as much as I can but it could be nearing dark before play concludes. 

Does the VHSL or VSGA select which courses will host the state tournament?  It's a 2 year cycle, correct? Also, do you know when the host courses will be selected for next year? I'm primarily curious where Class 1 and 2 will be held.

39 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Does the VHSL or VSGA select which courses will host the state tournament?  It's a 2 year cycle, correct? Also, do you know when the host courses will be selected for next year? I'm primarily curious where Class 1 and 2 will be held.

VHSL handles the process for selecting the site which is a straight up bid process. VSGA governs play and runs the state tournament, regardless of site. The format was changed during the reclassification process a few years ago. I want to say 2014-2016 time frame? I think the new format began in 2017.

It used to be, each region hosted on a rotational basis. Galax won state titles in 2008 at Clear Creek in Bristol, 2010 at Piankatank River on the Eastern Shore, and 2011 at Heritage Oaks in Harrisonburg. Several schools joined forces to lodge a complaint based solely on travel issues for the Tidewater, Richmond and NOVA schools. Imagine that!

VHSL agreed to adjust the format of the state tournament to lessen the travel burden for Region A and B but, the state tournament would only be 18 holes as opposed to the traditional 36 holes. Golf courses began dropping out of the bid process to host the state tournament because it wasn't worth their time and investment for one day. As a result, VHSL has to take what it can get, which is why Olde Mill has hosted the past few years and will likely host again next year unless someone can put together a competitive bid package to rival theirs. Which will be difficult considering Olde Mill has on-site lodging. 

I will find out for sure when bids are unsealed but I think it's in April. 

I really liked the old format. Playing in every region every four years gave kids an opportunity to play golf in parts of the state they may otherwise, never get to experience. But then again, those of us on this side of the state have always been more willing to travel than the pampered effs in Tidewater, NOVA and Richmond.

You should also have to play 36 holes to win a state championship whether it's team or individual!!!

• 5 weeks later...

The Galax Maroon Tide golf team has accepted an invitation to the PGA of America High School National Invitational in Frisco, TX July 17-19, 2023.

Jake Albert of Blacksburg won medalist honors at this event in 2022 at Pinehurst Resort as a freshman with a 54 hole score of -10 under par. 

• 3 months later...

The Galax golf program has been invited to Frisco Texas in July to compete in the PGA of America High School Golf National Invitational. Please read the article. Even if you can't donate, share the article on social media. The more eyeballs that see it, the better our chances are of getting these kids to Texas in July.

Thank you,

https://firepitcollective.com/roll-maroon-tide/

https://twitter.com/acaseofthegolf1/status/1628942609946226688

https://www.gofundme.com/f/galax-golf-team-to-pga-high-school-nationals-2023