Region D favorites???

FootBa11Coach

Have to give nod to Graham until they are knocked off.  Ridgeview should be able to challenge.  Last year, RV’s running scheme was basic and not very good so I’m not sure what to think of all five of their starters returning.  They were predictable and appeared not too motivated.  They aren’t small but I just don’t know what to think about them……they are the potential weak spot on the team.  
I saw a bit of a different game last year…closer than it appeared and Gmen sweating for a half.  If Beavers’ kickoff isn’t called back, that game gets interesting….RV goes up 21-7 and I think that shakes the home team.  Additionally, everyone in the stadium knew what Graham was doing when they split Bradshaw out to the slot and what was coming when they put him in motion except RV’s defensive staff.  After that, the RV QB started to really struggle because Graham made them one dimensional.  Graham’s superior coaching (demonstrated through adjustments) was as much of that game’s outcome as the trench warfare.

I do think that RV learned some lessons from that game.  Kudos for them to come out swinging and slinging and being who they are from the first play of the game.  They struggled with that last year and it cost them potential wins at Union and against Bluefield.  They seem to know who they are this year. Let’s hope they get a rematch and we get a classic game that’s talked about for years!

5 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Are we just going to write Union off in the M7? 

Yes. In fact, Graham shouldn't even bother bringing their full roster to BSG this year. JV should suffice. Haha

Truthfully, the Bears are an unknown. Lost a ton of players last year. Lots of talent coming back, but we'll just have to see how they respond.

I'll know more Monday afternoon the scrimmage at Elizabethton.

8 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Not at all.  RV has to take care of business with Union but this is the first year that they will probably be favored.  I personally think Turner is loving it that everyone is talking RV.  If RV doesn’t approach that game with something to prove they’ll get beat.

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

Yes. In fact, Graham shouldn't even bother bringing their full roster to BSG this year. JV should suffice. Haha

Truthfully, the Bears are an unknown. Lost a ton of players last year. Lots of talent coming back, but we'll just have to see how they respond.

I'll know more Monday afternoon the scrimmage at Elizabethton.

Has an official time for Monday been announced yet? 

2 hours ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Not only can they, but they should be favored to do so. 

I definitely don't think it's smart to overlook Abingdon or count them out. They have a way of successfully reloading easier than most programs and are very well coached. 

for 1D, its a toss-up, but the five that will contend for 1D title is as followed. J.I. Burton, Patrick Henry, Chilhowie, Twin Springs, and Holston(since they're defending champions). and the darkhorse would be Rural Retreat. then again who knows

On 8/6/2022 at 9:40 AM, Mountain Football said:

After watching Union at Elizabethton; I'm not sure how well Union will match up with Ridgeview in the secondary. RV will outmatch them with size and speed. If Union beats RV it will be due to time management and turnovers. 

12 minutes ago, foosballer said:

After watching Union at Elizabethton; I'm not sure how well Union will match up with Ridgeview in the secondary. RV will outmatch them with size and speed. If Union beats RV it will be due to time management and turnovers. 

The secondary needs a lot of work, but it seems it always does this time each year. That's why I love to scrimmage Elizabethton. They bring out the shortcomings in a crystal clear way for our pass defense. It's easy to load the box and stop the run, but hard to match up with a great QB and receivers at the HS level.

Hopefully, the Bears can clean everything up before we play the 'Pack or any other heavy pass teams.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:03 AM, Tigers_07 said:

for 1D, its a toss-up, but the five that will contend for 1D title is as followed. J.I. Burton, Patrick Henry, Chilhowie, Twin Springs, and Holston(since they're defending champions). and the darkhorse would be Rural Retreat. then again who knows

Do not sleep on Rye Cove. 38 kids I hear as well as a good,new coaching staff which includes B.I. Salyers. Their middle school and JV bunch was very good last year.

With limited knowledge of Region D I would have to still say Graham is the favorite.  I know they lost some kids last year but return a fair amount off a good squad. 

I know Ridgeview was loaded but just from reading here I'm not sure they can handle the physicality of Graham. 

If teams can’t stop the run, they’ll struggle mightily with Union. EHS got a dose of that. Don’t expect to see 35 throws per game but if a team has any weakness in run defense, watch out Union can run it and stop the run.